Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikael Holmberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Are the players allowed to browse and see what kind of exploration cards there is on each room space or are the cards supposed to be treated as "hidden information" until the card on top of each is explored?

And if the answer of the above is that they should be hidden. Are the players allowed to know how many cards there is in each stack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards in each room are hidden from the investigators until they explore.

They can, however, count how many cards are in each stack before they decide to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Holmberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think one of the primary reasons for the "Nothing of Interest" cards is to throw players off who like to count cards in rooms, looking for that "juicy" stack of stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Holmberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keesvanloomacklin wrote:
Yes, I think one of the primary reasons for the "Nothing of Interest" cards is to throw players off who like to count cards in rooms, looking for that "juicy" stack of stuff.

Right! One thing that allways bothered me with the game is that all cards hide all the nice looking art on the tiles. I'm about to remedy that with explorer-tokens instead. I put the cards aside in Sleeves. One sleeve per room. And instead of the cards I use small tokens in different colours to represent the cards instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did that with my gaming group. The sleeves for coins (I think)were the perfect size. I added labels to each pouch and then a corresponding magnifying (skill) token was labeled with the same number.

I made up new Skill tokens (turn of the century good luck coins) since the original skill tokens made better/more thematic search tokens.

You can see the numbers on the magnifying glass tokens in this photo:

The way we did it was randomly lay out a magnifying glass token on each room. Then tuck the cards that were supposed to go into that same number in the corresponding pouch. It worked okay but I think it ultimately made set-up a bit longer (maybe another 5 minutes) which this game DOES NOT NEED. And though it made the board look cleaner, and it added a bit of surprise when a room had a lock on the door or an obstacle when searched, it didn't really change how the game was played.

But it did give me the idea of making a scenario (or modifying one of the poorer existing ones) where the exploration cards can be drawn from a deck off to the side (no seeding = faster set-up). And just use the magnifying glass tokens as markers that the room has been searched to prevent multiple searches of the same room.

This would require a scenario where it didn't matter where or when clues were received. Or where items were found. "I know this game is supposed to be bizarre, but I just found a stick of dynamite in the nursery!"goo
And then it created another problem with locks and obstacles. So now I'm tinkering with the idea that locks and obstacles could be played (In this one scenario) as interrupts when an investigator enters a room or searches a room, the Keeper could play the lock or obstacle respectively.

-Terry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.