Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original game clearly favors the allies, although of course axis could win with early VP insta-win.

Wondering how people have found it with the expansion.

My one play (so clearly not enough to judge on) seemed to offer me, as Japan, lots more opportunities to build up my machine with bolsters, and of course airplanes made me harder to attack via the pacific.

But my allies in Europe were devasted by Russia, which comboed bolsters, status and responses to create an unbeatable war machine... Which then even found time to pop over to India via the Middle East, and remove my chap in China.

I missed a couple of defensive opportunities and Japan collapsed... But overall, it did feel that the axis was still at a late game disadvantage, because of the Italian deck.

Italy, as usual, started strong but ran out of steam, and was then bombed into the Stone Age.

Holding off that late ally surge is still tough work, it seems.

How have others found this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we are currently at 4-1 Axis vs Allies with Air Marshal (my ongoing games are posted in general discussions). This could be that Air Marshal favors the Axis. Or it could be we just haven't played enough games with Air Marshal. Or just wacky luck in the 5 games we have played so far.

I think, just on paper, that the Air Marshal mechanics favor the Axis by design--air forces tend to, ahem, bolster your fixed defense. Which is where the Axis tend to fall over in the base game--when the Allies can quickly push over the Germans and Italy in Europe, the game collapses quickly. The Germans and Italians having air forces to defend their hold of Europe lets them hold on that much longer and get better set up. At least that has been our experience so far.

Air Marshal *also* has the effect of making one of the main Ally strengths less effective--Economic Warfare. That all decks have been increased in size by, what, 25-33%, means that those US bombers that often just put someone out of the game early that much less effective. I mean, yeah, you *can* run through decks at the same speed by playing lots of Bolsters and Deploy/Marshal cards, but if you are getting bombed, you can just *not* do that, and use those extra card plays as, instead, bomb defense. Which I think is a significant effect on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that we've played about 20 games with Air Marshall, and I'd say it still favours the Allies in our games. I know that for the 9 games we played in the last week and a half, the Allies won 7.

So, compared to our overall record, the Allies are actually doing better with the expansion. Partly it could be that I think it's taken us a while to really excel with the USA. Partly, though, I think that the airplanes favour the Allies, simply because they have more of them. In a game where no Ally puts air forces vs Japan (which is not uncommon), US/UK/USSR airplanes outnumber Italy/Germany's by 6 to 3, deploy air force cards by 9 to 6. So it seems that the Allies become more entrenched in the North Sea and then Western Europe (once they're in, even Blitzkreig cannot kick them out).

The Bolster cards do, however, give the Axis some attractive options (and we had a game recently where Japan succeeded in completely taking over the USA).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis start strong and then fizzle about turn 12 - 14. We have yet to have an Axis victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.