Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same question I ask of any card game: is there a game to be had here with a single core set, or is this one of those 'needs 3 sets to play' games?

I like the ideas here, and there is some possibility I could convince the wife to play (she read the books), but I would also want the possibility to stick at a single core deck if we're only going to play casually.

I'd also like to play with my soon-to-be ten year old son. I think it's time to make the step up from smash up and similar, and this may be a contender. (He can play Mage wars, but never fell in love with it). How accessible does it feel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there is a game there using the preconstructed decks. Because of the single copies of almost all of the cards, games will be swingy and of high variance.

How to play is easy enough that an average 10 year old can comprehend. Playing well will depend on the specific 10 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
If you're just playing because you like the theme and want a game of thrones themed game then one core set is fine for the casual play that you describe with the wife and child. If you're looking for a solid gaming experience with low luck and the joy of deckbuilding then it may not be your cup of tea. I'm of the despised opinion that 3 cores are needed for balanced play and a genuine fun time but someone will show up soon to tell me how wrong I am. :devil:

Thanks for this. Seems it may be an all in or nothing kind of game.

Who knows, maybe this is the LCG that finally wins me, but that will depend on local players. Netrunner still rules in my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing with 1 proxied core set and it's fine. It's as swingy and random as, say, Dominion or RFTG. It's very enjoyable for a game once in a while. The melee format is fun and will allow you to play with your wife AND kid. I've played 4 games of joust and 2 games of melee so far, and I still want to play more, with my single core set. I intend to play with my 10 years old son too, he loved Netrunner and I think he will like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I rarely buy multiple core sets. I proxy the cards that I need duplicates of on Cow Cow or Printer Studio.

I own tons of LotR expansions. I have no interest in buying multiples of the same expansion. I swear to god my last order from Arts Cow was 54 Gandalf Ally cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Aurelius
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say this game might be a bit taxing on a 10 year old. Cards have a lot of text, rules can be complicated, board state can become a mess.

That being said, all LCGs are lifestyle games. It takes a lot of reserve to enjoy them casually. They were made to pull you in, and this time around, single Core Set experience will be weaker than ever, really asking of you to cash in for at least a second one if you want to play the game. 3 are definitely recommended, especially if you want to build 2 decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.