Subject: Range Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clovis R
United States
Syracuse
NY
flag msg tools
The instructions say that an enemy in another player's hero area is considered to have a range of 2. If the enemy is a ranged enemy and they are already set back for a range of 2 in their current hero area, would that mean for a teammate to attack they would need a range of 3?

Also, I don't quite understand Venda's taunt. It says you can move an enemy closer to you, but it only has a range of 1. Should this be 2? Is it a possible error? What would the point of moving an enemy closer that was already at a range of 1?
Does it make the range 1/2, and any other enemies behind can no longer attack? (There's no way this is what happens, but it'd be kind of cool).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about the first part - but I don't think so, I think 2 would still stand for another hero area (even if it is 2 for that Hero area) but I could be very wrong.

The second part - if your Hero area is empty you get +1 to your range so Venda's Taunt when her Hero area is empty would go up to a Range 2 so she could call an enemy over from the Quest area or another Hero area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClovisReilly wrote:
The instructions say that an enemy in another player's hero area is considered to have a range of 2. If the enemy is a ranged enemy and they are already set back for a range of 2 in their current hero area, would that mean for a teammate to attack they would need a range of 3?

The skirmisher type enemies increase their range by one if there are any other non-ranged enemies in the area. Therefore if you are attacking one of these in another heroes area (or the quest area) and there is at least one non-ranged enemy in this area, that enemy is at a range of 3. 2 because they are outside of the current hero area, plus one for the skirmisher ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryker1979 wrote:

The skirmisher type enemies increase their range by one if there are any other non-ranged enemies in the area. Therefore if you are attacking one of these in another heroes area (or the quest area) and there is at least one non-ranged enemy in this area, that enemy is at a range of 3. 2 because they are outside of the current hero area, plus one for the skirmisher ability.

I was actually pondering the skirmisher, too. Is this your take on his range (+3 if in another hero's area behind non-ranged enemies) or have the devs commented on this somewhere? I've only seen them confirm how the skirmisher's range works for the engaged hero.

The reason I ask is because I picture range as always being relative to the individual hero. So a skirmisher only gets range 2 from a particular hero if it can keep a meat shield of melee enemies between itself and that hero. Meanwhile, a second hero can circle around and attack from the side, treating all the enemies of the first hero (both melee and skirmishers) as range 2. It's a different angle of attack. This seems to be supported by the fact that if the second hero isn't engaged, it gets +1 range, meaning it can run in with impunity and hit the first hero's targets with close-range attacks. If that second hero had it's own enemies, it can still flank the first hero's mobs, but not as well, hence the need for a long-range attack to hit them at range 2.

I can accept a ruling that the skirmisher can sit at a range of 3 under the right circumstances, but I'll have to change my mental image of combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
I can accept a ruling that the skirmisher can sit at a range of 3 under the right circumstances, but I'll have to change my mental image of combat.

I think Jason is spot on - the skirmisher is at Range 1 when in your Hero area and Range 2 when in another Hero area - but skirmisher type enemies increase their range by one if there are any other non-ranged enemies in the area. Simple as that. If the conditions are set, there's the modifier.

EDIT: I think the way you picture it is correct (Crow's Backstab could work here for example) but I suppose the experienced skirmishers don't just keep an eye one hero at a time - thank goodness we have the rogue/assassin type character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, you and Jason are indeed correct! It doesn't fit my thematic vision of how the fights work, but it is the most straightforward interpretation of the mechanics. So it'll be easy to remember.

This exact example is discussed here:https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1411410/question-encounter-.... A skirmisher with non-ranged attackers in the same area would be range 2 for the engaged hero and range 3 for the second hero. The skirmisher would be at range 3 for BOTH heroes if it was still in the quest area with non-ranged attackers.

Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.