17 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone using PucaTrade? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone here has any experience with PucaTrade (https://pucatrade.com)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yup. I've had a lot of success in recent months turning cards I don't want into cards I want. You just have to watch out you don't wind up spending more money on postage than you'd spend buying cards anyway. I can't be sure how easily you'll get people to send cards to Finland, though. I filter out the want lists of people outside North America. Though I have been shipped cards from Australia and Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it. Spent three weeks and assembled full cubes for ISD and ROE. Then upgraded five EDH decks. All in all, about $3000 worth of stuff that I didn't pay for, apart from postage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm currently mostly trading through the local Finnish Mtg forums, but I used to trade all over the world back in the days (up until Urza's block). It's probably best to set a limit on how lowly valued trades you want to send out, but apart from that it seems like a good way to get rid of some cards and get something useful instead. Lots of the stuff in my trade binders are cards pretty much nobody around here wants (not enough people trading so it's hard to find that one person who wants some odd card).

Maybe I'll just register and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
https://pucatrade.com/invite/gift/12702

Register with that link and I get a dollar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:

Get some good cards for it!

I registered. Looks like there's a decent amount of europeans trading. I found a Finnish guy to send some small cards to, just to try that out. My first thought was to try and get some Modern staples. But since it could take a while to get enough points for that, I decided to put up some smaller cards as well from my wantlist. Various rarities, and both older and newer cards. Just to see what happens. Well, one thing is certain, you shouldn't put anything on your wantlist that you're even a little bit unsure about. Didn't take long before I had my first "trade" (from Greece). Looks like this is working well so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:

I did this also. You're welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone wants to pay it forward to me, here's my link:

https://pucatrade.com/invite/gift/91150

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys! That should help a bit towards completing either my in-progress Pharika Commander deck (still seeking a Glissa and Worm Harvest), or completing my playset of Expedition Maps to make my modern Tron deck better able to assemble itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to use Puca a TON, but then about 6 months ago we had an influx of new people that started giving the program a bad name.

A year or two ago when I was making frequent weekly trades I only ever had one or two minor issues, but then all of the sudden people were complaining about condition of cards and people stockpiling trades for weeks before shipping their promised cards. Also started seeing more Bots snipe trades for people quickly which was a big turn off for me. Might be better now, but since I drained my points I haven't bothered.

On the plus, it's a fantastic way to turn smaller items into value cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
stagger lee wrote:
On the plus, it's a fantastic way to turn smaller items into value cards!

That's what I don't get. It seems a fantastic way to turn value cards into smaller items, not the other way around.

A stamp these days costs $0.43, so that's the value that gets eaten off any item you mail. I suppose the way to deal with it would be to mail many cards to the same person, but at least with the cards I have for trade, the most a person wants are two cards.

So yeah, I'm not really seeing it. Maybe I need way more cards for trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So I've now sent three trades and recieved one small one. I weighted some cards together with a toploader and envelope to see the maximum amount of cards I can send for the various postage rates we have. This way I can make a "profit" pointwise (points vs postage). My goal for this experiment is to get some Eternal playables. Right now I have enough points to get a Spellskite, which is one of my top wants. Since I'm in no rush, I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and see if anything happens. But, I'm wondering, does any of you with more experience have idea how realistic this plan is? Me being in Europe might cause this to take longer than usual. Even though there seems to be lots of Europeans trading, there's probably a lot more Americans trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That should work. MM2015 Spellskite reportedly trades ~6 times a day there.

Europeans are a huge chunk of the trading base from what I've seen - especially Italy, Germany, Switzerland, and Portugal.

Of currently-wanted-and-afforded copies of MM2015 Spellskite, I count 64 in the US and over 300 in the rest of the world, the majority of those in Europe.

Demand does seem to vastly outweigh supply on that, though, so people may just choose to go with the most affordable shipping option (be it someone in their own country, or someone with so many points and an extensive list of wants that they can save by bundling).

Yeah, I did the 'weight measurement' experiment too (as have many others). When a pack gets up to the point of having two toploaders in it it usually graduates to the higher shipping rate. A lot of people put the most valuable card(s) in a multi-order inside the toploader, and the less valuable ones in sleeves taped to the outside of the toploader. The toploader prevents any bending, but you're not adding the weight of a second toploader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
That should work. MM2015 Spellskite reportedly trades ~6 times a day there.

Europeans are a huge chunk of the trading base from what I've seen - especially Italy, Germany, Switzerland, and Portugal.

Of currently-wanted-and-afforded copies of MM2015 Spellskite, I count 64 in the US and over 300 in the rest of the world, the majority of those in Europe.

Demand does seem to vastly outweigh supply on that, though, so people may just choose to go with the most affordable shipping option (be it someone in their own country, or someone with so many points and an extensive list of wants that they can save by bundling).

Probably true in this case. The demand should be far bigger than the supply when it comes to Spellskite. I've noticed that there's another Finn asking for them as well and he's had them on him wantlist longer than me. So it will probably be a long wait. It might be wise to put some smaller items on it as well that can be used as filler. The problem is of course that I then might have just them sent to me instead. Well, I'll wait for a while, then I start adding more wants.

Quote:
Yeah, I did the 'weight measurement' experiment too (as have many others). When a pack gets up to the point of having two toploaders in it it usually graduates to the higher shipping rate. A lot of people put the most valuable card(s) in a multi-order inside the toploader, and the less valuable ones in sleeves taped to the outside of the toploader. The toploader prevents any bending, but you're not adding the weight of a second toploader.

Good advice! I noticed that 2 cards in a top loader passes right under 20g which lets me send the letter worldwide for the same amount as the cheapest domestic letters. So that is quite affordable. The next cut-offs are <50g and <100g (this get expensive for priority class worldwide, economy class is cheaper) are still decently priced for Europe, and since 10 cards without sleeves weighs about 18g I can send of a good amount and still get a profit. For letters above 50g, economy class worldwide is still cheap, but I don't know if traders accept that and expect you to send priority class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Thanks, guys! That should help a bit towards completing either my in-progress Pharika Commander deck (still seeking a Glissa and Worm Harvest), or completing my playset of Expedition Maps to make my modern Tron deck better able to assemble itself.

And someone did send me my fourth Expedition Map. With the just announced reprint of Sylvan Scrying at uncommon in BFZ as well as a set so loaded with colorless Eldrazi beef that some of it is bound to be cheap, my budget Tron deck is about to come together. I doubt I'll ever have the Karns and Ugins and original-Zendikar-block Eldrazi titans that most modern Tron decks run - but I'll make do with more budget stuff.

I appreciate but don't understand why this person bothered to send it to me, though. The card is worth 137 points - which could be bought from Puca site for $1.37 (and less from other users, who generally start at 0.9c/pp). So this person sent me one card (generously) valued at $1.37 ... and paid $1.10 to the USPS for a global stamp to do so (not to mention the sleeve, toploader, envelope, and the effort of writing up addresses on the envelope and mailing it).

I refuse to make any deal where my shipping overhead is more than 20% of the value of the cards I'm sending. It boggles my mind to see people willfully take on over 80% overhead costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
I appreciate but don't understand why this person bothered to send it to me, though. The card is worth 137 points - which could be bought from Puca site for $1.37 (and less from other users, who generally start at 0.9c/pp). So this person sent me one card (generously) valued at $1.37 ... and paid $1.10 to the USPS for a global stamp to do so (not to mention the sleeve, toploader, envelope, and the effort of writing up addresses on the envelope and mailing it).

I have an even more mind-boggling case right now. Someone in the US is sending me a Fiery Impulse, a Magic: Origins common worth 22 points...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
LOL, that's impressive!

I've got a 304-pp package en route from Australia to Canada that, if it doesn't arrive today, will officially have spent at least a month in shipping. I kinda hoped to have the deck those cards are intended for built by now, but you can't filter out senders by country (you can choose who you send to, but not who sends to you). Still, a package from Japan that shipped one day later arrived over two weeks ago...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.