Hector Zam
United States
Brownsville
Texas
flag msg tools
I recently purchased this game from Amazon.com (I used the prime one-click buy option;big mistake) and also purchased the character expansion (one-click as well).

Both products arrived separately, which clued me in to the fact that they came from different sellers. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, so I opened both products and began to mix the expansion into the base game.

Well, very quickly, I realized that the cards looked differently and were even a different size. After doing some research online, I learned about the first vs second print-run debacle. I am thoroughly disgusted that Amazon.com (or the store-front, I suppose) didn't properly label the game as a "first-print run." It's a shame that Paizo hasn't properly addressed this situation either, as their site did not offer much information.

Some of you are probably thinking to yourselves that I should "just sleeve the cards." Well, I'm really sorry, but I shouldn't have to pay MORE money for a product that should have been ready to play when I purchased it.

I want to warn anyone that is considering a purchase of this game to make sure they are buying the second printing of the base game or, at the very least, check to make sure your products not say "made in China."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Beware that retailers might not understand the difference, even if you specifically ask.

I had a First Ed base game, so I needed matching expansions. After seeing "Made in China" in the listing, I ordered an expansion on Amazon, but added a note saying I really did need the Chinese printing. The retailer sent me a message saying "We already sent it, but it's made in the USA." However, upon arrival, it was in fact the First/Chinese printing. So a happy ending, but it taught me to buy RotR expansions locally, where I could inspect the box myself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Zam
United States
Brownsville
Texas
flag msg tools
I wish I had local stores :-(
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
historyhelper wrote:
I wish I had local stores :-(

Bummer. Next best would be to buy from a store where you can talk to a human on the phone who can have the expansion box in their hands at the time, and then ship exactly that box to you. Or buy used via the BGG marketplace, from someone nerdy enough to actually understand the question and give the correct answer.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Was it your base set or character add on that was first printing?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Zam
United States
Brownsville
Texas
flag msg tools
The base game was the first printing/edition
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like saying your cookie is too big to fit in the glass of milk. Hardly a problem. 50+ plays of the first print run and I've yet to experience emotional distress
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
It's like saying your cookie is too big to fit in the glass of milk. Hardly a problem. 50+ plays of the first print run and I've yet to experience emotional distress

I agree, as long as you get matching expansions. Playing with a mix of firsts and seconds would be unpleasant.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
historyhelper wrote:
The base game was the first printing/edition


Are you interested in trying to track down all first edition stuff? I've seen some at Barnes and Noble.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Zam
United States
Brownsville
Texas
flag msg tools
How many expansions are there in total?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is:

Base Set (includes adventure deck 1)
Character add-on
Adventure Deck 2
Adventure Deck 3
Adventure Deck 4
Adventure Deck 5
Adventure Deck 6
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Voigt
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
historyhelper wrote:
How many expansions are there in total?


Adventure decks 2-6 plus the character addon deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Zam
United States
Brownsville
Texas
flag msg tools
269Hawkmoon wrote:
There is:

Base Set (includes adventure deck 1)
Character add-on
Adventure Deck 2
Adventure Deck 3
Adventure Deck 4
Adventure Deck 5
Adventure Deck 6



Guess I have to look for first printings of all of those then
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. You basically have a choice, either keep your Base Set and try to track down first printings of everything else (including the character add-on), or keep your Character Add-on and try to track down Second printings of everything else (including the Base Set).

Keeping the Base Set will probably be cheaper (since it is the most expensive part) but harder, since First Printings might be more difficult to find. (If you wanted second printing, I could tell you right now to buy direct from Paizo and you will get all second printings.)

I'd check with an online game store like CSI or Boardgame Warehouse where they would be more knowledgeable about the difference in games and be able t check their stock.

Barnes and Noble also has carried it and might have first printings (I've seen them there before) so if you have a local one of those I'd check there.

I'd be happy to let you know if I find any near me. I tend to check when I'm in stores anyway. But, I'm not sure if paying the shipping is worth it to you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Barnes & Nobles I have been to usually seem to have a few of the adventure decks and are always 1st edition. They just don't seem to sell.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who missed it in Hawkmoon's post: any RotR PACG product bought directly from paizo.com will be a second edition printing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Zam
United States
Brownsville
Texas
flag msg tools
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Yeah. You basically have a choice, either keep your Base Set and try to track down first printings of everything else (including the character add-on), or keep your Character Add-on and try to track down Second printings of everything else (including the Base Set).

Keeping the Base Set will probably be cheaper (since it is the most expensive part) but harder, since First Printings might be more difficult to find. (If you wanted second printing, I could tell you right now to buy direct from Paizo and you will get all second printings.)

I'd check with an online game store like CSI or Boardgame Warehouse where they would be more knowledgeable about the difference in games and be able t check their stock.

Barnes and Noble also has carried it and might have first printings (I've seen them there before) so if you have a local one of those I'd check there.

I'd be happy to let you know if I find any near me. I tend to check when I'm in stores anyway. But, I'm not sure if paying the shipping is worth it to you.


Thank you very much. I've contacted the company and they agreed to refund me for the base set, so I went ahead and purchased a new base set from Amazon, I hope it's the second printing. If not, I'll just return it and keep the original one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL MA
msg tools
Did not even know there was a difference. Got mine via the subscription...so does that mean mixed editions, all 1st or 2nd?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiltowait wrote:
Did not even know there was a difference. Got mine via the subscription...so does that mean mixed editions, all 1st or 2nd?



There are only different printers for Rise of the Runelords. The second printer fit Rise of the Runelords continues to be the printer to date.

If you got RotR through subscription, then most probably you got all first printing copies, unless you had a package get lost and needed it replaced or something. They gave priority to subscribers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.