Hide
4 Posts

Caylus» Forums » General

Subject: Caylus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Knight
msg tools
I have bought the game having seen it recommended. But re4ading the rules makes little sense to me having never played such a game. Can anybody help to explain it further? Has anyone described how a turn is played out in more detail. It gets described as chess like by some players ----help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
HI Gavin ... Welcome to the 'geek!

Have a look at these files:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=16765

and

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=16766

or

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=15954

... these are all player aids and rules summaries uploaded to help.

Alternatively, have a browse round the Caylus page here:

Caylus and check out some of the "rules" questions.

The best way to learn the game is to set it up as per the rules, and step through it slowly by yourself.

After a couple of turns, it all starts to make sense !

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, check out the files section on the Caylus page - click Hot to sort them my highest rated. There are some players aids and maybe some walkthroughs. You could read reviews too - they often give a summary of game play, to get you oriented.

Like many games, playing is not as hard as the rules make it sound. If someone showed you how, you could learn it in 20 minutes. The rules are not that hard once you know how.

I was hoping Scott Nichols may have done a video review/walkthrough, but not this this game apparently.

Good luck. Don't give up - it's a good game, worth the effort to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently had to go through what you face and its not that bad after you've broken through.

Caylus has a lot to recommend it and alot to get right in terms of turn sequence.

Get setup sorted out (see Geek files for help) and when you're ready to start your first turn, just understand that each position on the road thats available is one players go.

When someone passes they place their token on the bridge and everyone elses go gets more expensive.

You have to build shops/businesses to generate resources. You have to be first to 'claim' a building if you really want that resource.

The game is all about building the castle, so you must gather your resources into sets of 3's (of which one must be a food [pink]) and build in the castle.

Be aware that the Castle is scored 3 times. If you've not built there by then you lose the chance for big points.

Really you options each turn are limited to 'claiming' what other players have so far left.

Leave the tactics of building the ornamental buildings (like statues and cathedrals) till later plays, and at first I'd leave the Royal Favour out as thats powerful but confusing at first. Focus on the main game and you'll get it quickly!

Good luck

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.