Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Stevenson
United States
Columbus
Ga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Barraging a Japanese Tank unit do you use the Position's FOF or the Japanese Tank's field of fire for determining LOS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about the official answer to this question, too. I'd "argue" that YOUR tanks' range shouldn't change based on what the occupants of a position are composed of. BUT, if the barrage rules are written with the intention that your barrage range is based on how "visible" an enemy is (i.e. if they can fire at you then you can see where they are firing from), then perhaps tanks would increase that visibility and allow one to barrage it.

But you can also make the argument that tanks' extended FOF only applies during the enemy firing phase, and your barrage happens during your firing phase, and therefore you don't need to consider it. Think of the "M" action, where the enemy machine guns might fire at additional hexes. Are those hexes considered for barrage range? I'd say no; the permanent, ongoing FOF is printed on the map, and that's what you barrage based on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I saw this the other way: that extended field of fire is field of fire of the target hex--the logic being that if the Japanese tank has a field of fire to the U.S. tank, that the U.S. tank must have a field of fire to the Japanese tank; but because tank extended field of fire is an exception to the regular rule, I agree with you that this is not clear and that there is no way to solve this with the rules as they are currently written.

I am assuming John missed this post. I messaged him directly.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

You use the Japanese tank's FOF.

Mr Butterfield answered this in the (latest) rules post called "Japanese tanks, tunneling [...]"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks, Martin, I missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Use the extended field of fire of the Japanese Tank to determine eligibility as a barrage target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.