Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Saga» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ragnar Lothbrok SAGA dice abilities question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll quote Ragnar's abilities needed for my question:

Quote:
(p.45) Heroes of the Viking Age:

Vikings:

Ragnar Lothbrok, King of Sweden and Norway

Hero of the Viking Age: as a legendary warrior, Ragnar generates three SAGA dce at the start of each turn, instead of the usual two for other Warlords.

Son of Odin: ...As a formidable hero, he cancels the first two hits suffered in each melee or against each shooting action (and not just the first one as other Warlords).

The Raider: ...At the start of each turn, he may decide to only roll half the SAGA dice he is entitled to roll. If he chooses to do so, all units in his warband will have a free activation this turn, without the need to roll any SAGA dice.

Situation: A Warband composed of 6 SAGA points contains Ragnar, three 12-figure Warrior units, and one 4-figure Warrior unit. The total number of SAGA dice the Warband generates is 7 (3 for Ragnar plus 1 for each of the four other units), but is capped at 6 due to that being the maximum number allowed to be rolled at the start of the Orders phase (p.10).

Questions: A Viking player controlling the Warband wants to give each unit in it a free activation and decides to use Ragnar's ability to do so. How many SAGA will the Viking player roll in the Orders phase? Why?

In such a situation, I've always played that the player will have to give up half of all the SAGA dice he can roll at the start of the Orders phase, so 3 SAGA dice to give each unit in the Warband (including Ragnar) a free activation for the turn.

Today I ran into a player with a different interpretation: The 'he' in the rules section quoted above refers to Ragner and that the number of dice he will need to give up in the situation presented would be 2 (half-rounded-up of Ragnar's 3), not 3 (half of the Warband's cap of 6).

That's even better than I would have expected, if true. Does anyone know if Gripping Beast has ruled on this situation? I've visited their website and couldn't readily find any information about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen a ruling or FAQ on it, but I would tend to think the "he" refers to the player, thus if taking the special ability, he would roll three SAGA dice if set up as you described. If my opponent insisted on the alternate interpretation you mention above, I would allow him to roll ONE SAGA die. Why? The rule is stated as "only" roll half. (Does Ragnar generate three?) Why would he get anymore if the term is "only"? I think the player would quickly change his interpretation of "he."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ach! I'll revise my earlier post. Yes, Ragnar rolls three SAGA dice instead of the two SAGA dice that Warlords usually roll.

That's a wrinkle of the wording of his ability. If Ragnar is giving up half of the dice he is entitled to roll to give each unit in his warband a free activation, why say "he may decide to roll only half the SAGA dice he is entitled to roll"? Why not say, "Ragnar loses two of the three SAGA dice he generates to give each unit in his Warband a free activation" if that is what is meant?

No, I agree. I think that if the Viking player with Ragnar wants to give each unit in the warband a free activation, he totals up the SAGA dice he can roll at the start of the Orders phase and loses half of them (rounded up) to determine the remainder he can roll for his board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, its half the total. Ragnar and the player are the same entity, and that is the "he". If Ragnar gives up half his 3 dice roll - who would roll the other three dice for him - the gods?
I haven't played Saga for sometime, exactly because of these weird interpretations, and translation issues. Apparently the French text for Ragnar says half the dice generated by the warband. Which is clearer, but much different from the English!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.