Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh no paper maps!

To be honest I have only become aware of Heroes of the Pacific very recently so have not had to endure the long wait that many of you have.

Instead I have been waiting for Conflict of Heroes - Guadalcanal which has been as long or longer. To be honest I have been becoming tired of the way Academy operate.

The Pacific Theatre doesn't hold great interest with me, but all the same it is a noticeable hole in my collection which was why I was follwoing CoH:G.

After the games that Academy play and seeing the HotP I was all set to swap to LnL.

But then I saw Paper Maps - why?

I'm not against paper maps in principle, I have a number of games that have paper maps and a big sheet of acrylic to put them under. It just that I have a few 'LnL Heroes of the' and they don't have paper maps.

It makes me suspious of where it is going. Are LnL going to do an 'Academy' on us - paper maps is the new thing and we are going to re-release all our games with bigger paper maps, counters with rounded corners, better artwork etc. so that all those people that supported the range and made it a succes are now either going to feel second class or feel obliged to buy all over again.

Not sure Paper Maps will have the same affect but we have certainly seen those feelings from the customers of Conflict of Heroes and Band of Brothers.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Danison
United States
Cape Canaveral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering about this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a bit confused also, about both the availability of the so-called X-Maps for those (like me) that did not pre-order the game, and whether both the regular-sized maps and/or X-Maps are paper or mounted. I didn't see anything on the LnL website itself about X-Maps being available as a separate purchase. Honestly, as interested as I am in the game, not sure I would purchase it without being able to get the X-Maps (paper or mounted) as I find the regular-sized hexes a bit small for the large vehicle counters in LnL. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

And like the original poster to this thread, I had been eagerly anticipating the CoH:Guadalcanal game for a long time. Too long. After so many years of waiting, my interest in it (and as a byproduct in Academy games in general) has waned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Wolski
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the paper maps are a direct consequence of moving production in-house (for various reasons). I'm a mounted map fan and disappointed with the move, especially since I pre-ordered HOTP (a long, long time ago) with the expectation of mounted maps!

Extra maps, two-sided maps, spring/winter maps - none of these are real motivators for me. My experience with paper maps is iffy at best - however, I will give the new HOTP maps a try in hopes that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryel C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
According to David Heath (LNLP) all maps will be paper henceforth. This allows the company to have complete control of production processes.

I've played a bit of Lock n Load over the years and like their thin board maps, but I am not anticipating any problem with the thick paper maps.

And yes, David says that the x-maps will be available for purchase, including possibly maps from all modules. I wouldn't bother him right now, though, because he is busy boxing up my copy of Heroes of the Pacific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had posted in another thread about the paper maps (though i was not sure of what to make of it yet as I have not got the game yet, i will reserve judgment til them)

I was one of the ones who ordered way back.

I have dabbled in all the popular tactical systems but lock n load remains my system of choice, with combat commander close behind (paper maps).

I have heard they are re releasing the band of heroes game but under a different name, it will include an expansion and some extra stuff. LnL load gave people the opportunity to pre order the all the extras without having to order the game again which was a big plus. So far it dosnt seem as though they are going the way of Academy games as the maps are now paper but still the same size (as standard) and same graphics, the conters are just rounded when popped out (I have a counter cliper so looks all the same) but have the same information and graphics, so even though some things are differnt I don't think it requires re purchasing of the already bought games.

Anyway here was a reply I got from David from LnL in regards to me bringing up the paper maps:

"Hi Mark

I saw your post and I just wanted to let you know. Over two years ago we stated we stop making mounted maps. Every game produced in overseas had map issues with mold and boards warping.

This is a major reason we are doing our own printing to be in charge of what we produce and how it comes out. I am not saying everything will always be perfect but we should be able to address any problems that come up.

If there is anything I can do for you please just let me know.

David "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys

I am sorry if I am a late in replying here. We have not and will not be making our customers re-purchase games to get our new x-maps. Our X-Maps will be for sale as it own product. So if you have a game and you want the X-Maps you can purchase just those. All of our games will come with our standard maps.

The main purpose of us repackaging our games is so we can put our expansions and core games together. Some of our game expansions required other expansions to play them. In some cases you may have needed other expansions up to three other games to be able to play one other expansion game. Sometimes you needed different games from different time periods. An example would be having a modern expansion but needing a game from World War 2 series.

So to address this issue we are updating the games and putting many of the expansions and core games together. We have updated the counters, scenarios and rules.

Please find the below links to review our new our Living Rules, Open Box Video etc.

Heroes of the Pacific Living Rules Edition is now available.
http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/heroes-of-the-paci...

Heroes of the Pacific Open Box Video from Big Board Gaming can be viewed below.
http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/media/heroes-of-the-pacific-...

Heroes of the Pacific trailer can be viewed below.

Heroes of the Pacific can be purchase a copy at our store with the link below.
http://store.lnlpublishing.com/heroes-of-the-pacific-lock-n-...

If any one has any questions please ask.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I appreciate your providing this information. I look forward to purchasing the X-Maps for many of the LnL games I already own, as well as for HoP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David!

Can I add the x maps to the (non-pre order) order I just place (to save shipping)? If so, how?

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Craig

Give me a day to look into that. We are really doing out best to get everyone pre-order but I see what I can do.

David

CHF_90265 wrote:
Hi David!

Can I add the x maps to the (non-pre order) order I just place (to save shipping)? If so, how?

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LNL Publishing wrote:
Hi Craig

Give me a day to look into that. We are really doing out best to get everyone pre-order but I see what I can do.

David

CHF_90265 wrote:
Hi David!

Craig

No rush, David, thanks! If possible before my copy ships tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Craig

We are putting the items together for Heroes of the Pacific X-Maps now. You should see it on the store tonight God willing.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LNL Publishing wrote:
Hi Craig

We are putting the items together for Heroes of the Pacific X-Maps now. You should see it on the store tonight God willing.

David

Hi David!

It's up, Yay!, but how do I add it to my existing order for HotP? Don't want to pay shipping twice if I can bundle them... Looks like the incremental cost of the x maps on top of the HotP game is $4.65.

Thanks!

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LNL Publishing wrote:
Hi Guys

I am sorry if I am a late in replying here. We have not and will not be making our customers re-purchase games to get our new x-maps. Our X-Maps will be for sale as it own product. So if you have a game and you want the X-Maps you can purchase just those. All of our games will come with our standard maps.

The main purpose of us repackaging our games is so we can put our expansions and core games together. Some of our game expansions required other expansions to play them. In some cases you may have needed other expansions up to three y as three other games to be able to play that expansion game. Sometimes you needed different games from different time periods. An example would be having a modern expansion but needing a game from World War 2 series.

So to address this issue we are updating the games and putting many of the expansions and core games together. We have updated the counters, scenarios and rules.

Please find the below links to review our new our Living Rules, Open Box Video etc.

Heroes of the Pacific Living Rules Edition is now available.
http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/heroes-of-the-paci...

Heroes of the Pacific Open Box Video from Big Board Gaming can be viewed below.

Heroes of the Pacific trailer can be viewed below.

Heroes of the Pacific can be purchase a copy at our store with the link below.
http://store.lnlpublishing.com/heroes-of-the-pacific-lock-n-...

If any one has any questions please ask.

David

Thanks,

I assume you are talking in general not just specifically for HotP.

My next question is whether the X-Maps would be available from local stores or just direct from you? The reason I ask is that I live in the UK and ordering products from the US can get silly expensive.

They start off looking great value but then you add shipping. The UK has quite a low consignment value threshold above which import taxes are applied (it is around 22 USD total including shipping). If taxes are added the courier then adds his admin fee which is typically about 22 USD).

So this is the sort of thing I often see.

Product $10. (Great price)
Shipping $15. (Annoying but understandable)
Tax $5. (Suppose I must pay my dues)
Courier Fee $22. (What a con job)

So what looked like an attractive $10 purchase has now ballooned to $42.

This is not just a UK problem, it is similar for many European countries.

So hoping I will be able to buy through local stores.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nigel

We have added the X-Maps to our dealer products so my answer is yes but I can't promise they will pick it up. Try out our store and see what the price comes out to. Let me know and I see if we can make any other options available to you guys overseas. Also if you know any stores or dealers that might want it let me know and I try contacting them on my side.

David

Heroes of the Pacific X-Maps:
http://store.lnlpublishing.com/lock-n-load/Heroes-of-the-Pac...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LNL Publishing wrote:
Hi Nigel

We have added to our dealer products so my answer is yes but I can't promise they will pick it up. Try out store and see what the price comes out to. Let me know and I see if we can make any other options available to you guys overseas. Also if you know any stores or dealers that might want it let me know and I try contacting them on my side.

David

Heroes of the Pacific X-Maps:
http://store.lnlpublishing.com/lock-n-load/Heroes-of-the-Pac...

Thanks, sounds promising.

How will X-Maps become available for other 'Heroes of the' games. From what I have read, the artwork isn't enhanced, just printed out 1.5x bigger and on paper. So this would be something that could be done pretty quickly and wouldn't have to wait for the whole game to be reprinted.

My main other interest would be Heroes of the Blitzkrieg.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Heroes of the Blitzkrieg is no more. We have combined it with In Defeat Defiance and made maps so there is no need for overlays any more. So it's not enhanced but is different. I can't say when yet but it is real soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LNL Publishing wrote:

Heroes of the Blitzkrieg is no more. We have combined it with In Defeat Defiance and made maps so there is no need for overlays any more. So it's not enhanced but is different. I can't say when yet but it is real soon.

That's good. I have both HotB and In Defeat Defiance so some nice big maps to go under my perspex would be nice - assuming I can hold of them at a reasonable price.

Are the 1.5x maps for HotP just for kickstarter/pre-order or are they in the standard retail pack.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nigel

The HID will see for between $25.00 - $30.00. There are 5 maps but they are double sided with the extra overlays already added on the maps.

Heroes of the Pacific X-Maps are free if you pre-ordered the game. If not you can buy them for $20.00 and the link is below

http://store.lnlpublishing.com/Heroes-of-the-Pacific-X-Maps

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Craig

I am pretty sure Darren has talked with you via Support Ticket and has everything all worked out for you. If you have any questions please let me know.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My concern is that the new sturdy counters are going to mis-balance with the lighter paper maps and causing bouncing. If they are the same counters that Academy Games uses, they are fabulous but on their mounted map boards...

I too prefer the heavy mounted mapboards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone

Let me be clear that we are not using thin paper maps. Our maps are on a heavy 110-120 pound card stock. These maps are not going to crease and rip. If you purchased any of our Line of Fire Magazine recently you have seen the style and thickness of our maps.

The problem with the mounted maps from overseas is the mold and warping of the boards. The games coming from overseas are getting worse and worse. There are a lot of Publishers having problems and the awful time delays. The only good thing about overseas is the price.

We want as much control as possible with the production of our games. We found with the heavy card stock we had no issues playing with the maps.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LNL Publishing wrote:
Hi Craig

I am pretty sure Darren has talked with you via Support Ticket and has everything all worked out for you. If you have any questions please let me know.

David

Yup, all good, thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Lizak
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hate it ever time I open one of my LnL games and see that piece of crap warped board. I think most of them are like that. I will take paper/card stock maps any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.