Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Best Boardgame Implementations of the Tabletop Miniature Experience? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts on the best boardgames that have converted the tabletop miniatures experience? Either army level or skirmish. Key factors for me are preassembled miniatures which do not require painting (they can be unpainted as long as easy differentiated - like Battlelore 2nd) and streamlined rules.

Which do think is best? Other than X-Wing, which I am guessing is a pretty obvious choice. Any oldies but goodies? Hidden gems long forgotten?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Panzer (second edition) and its kind would fit, though it has no minis. Definitely a minis game though. Works great with the old 21st Century Toys 1:144 tanks. Sadly, I don't have nearly enough of those.

Bismarck (second edition) the same - no minis - though a cousin game, North Cape did come with Minis.

Very few come with minis - the tendency of those that do come with minis tend to have systems on the low end of my personal acceptance as a wargame worth playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Long OOP and insanely expensive now, but... Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn works well. Wacky theme and very fiddly, but very cool and with lots of freedom on how to deal with a given situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Battleground Fantasy or Historical. These use plastic cards with the units painted directly on them, but gameplay is definitely tabletop minis flavored. Readily available and reasonably priced.

In a similar vein, there is Warhammer Disk Wars. Unique design and mechanics make this one of my favorites. Artwork is comparable to Battlegrounds, both of which are of a high quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days

Pre-painted minis used on a map board for skirmish level WWI combat.
Great game. lots of fun to play and has a great story telling/narrative aspect to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sergeants miniatures has a sister game,Sergeants D-Day, which uses the same system but with a smaller "footprint"'on the table, and with more soldiers in the base box. It uses standees instead of minis, but you could sub in minis from the other Sergeants game. Or you could do what I did and just grab a few plastic minis and either paint or not. You could probably use some Axis & Allies Miniaturesminis if you wanted pre-paints.

My number one choice would be Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr and its other faction packs. It has prepainted minis, skirmish level gameplay, and a really fun blend of tactical combat and card play. I highly recommend it.

Haven't played it yet but Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers has some good buzz, and I loved Heroscape, on which it is based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of wargames: Battles of Napoleon: The Eagle and the Lion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of Normandie uses big counters with top down depictions of units and vehicles instead of miniatures. It has a bit of a cornball flavor to the art and is doesn't even try to be a serious simulation. However, it does have army building by points, an interesting orders system, and fast play.

atsgamer wrote:
Any thoughts on the best boardgames that have converted the tabletop miniatures experience? Either army level or skirmish. Key factors for me are preassembled miniatures which do not require painting (they can be unpainted as long as easy differentiated - like Battlelore 2nd) and streamlined rules.

Which do think is best? Other than X-Wing, which I am guessing is a pretty obvious choice. Any oldies but goodies? Hidden gems long forgotten?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An oldie but a goodie is System 7 Napoleonics, although I think this is the opposite of boardgame > miniatures in that the rules actually originated as purely for miniature gaming, and then was ported over to the System 7 counters instead of miniatures.

I have a fair collection of the sets, but not all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe R

Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
System 7 was the first thing that came to mind on reading your post. Talk about a blast from the past! I just absolutely loved Napoleonics when I was in school (many eons ago) and with limited budgets this idea fit the bill. Still have several sets and the rules, but no one would call the system streamlined. Typical 70s fare and a small scale -- brigade to division level per player and lots of charts.

A more modern interpretation is Gettysburg The Wheatfield. Just purchased this one myself. The designed notes do homage to the System 7 idea at much the same scale 1 inch = 50 yards iirc from the rules. Of which btw there are only 12 pages so this may well fit the bill for streamlined and modern rules designs.

One other thought -- and this is no doubt heresy to both miniatures fans and boardgame folks, but you can yourself, with a little investment of time, do the System 7 thing (i.e., make counters for) a lot of "miniatures" rules sets. Yes, you lose the aesthetics of painted minis, but you save some serious bucks. I have done this myself with Impetus and Might and Reason from Sam Mustafa. Both interesting rules sets that count as modern and streamlined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L M
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Trust the Computer
badge
Roll low
mbmbmbmbmb
Which part of the "miniatures experience" are you looking for? To me the biggest difference between board wargames and miniatures wargames is the freedom of movement (although there are minis games with grids). A boardgame with miniatures is still a boardgame. Using actual miniatures rules with tokens would give a better feel for what they're like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biturian_varosh wrote:
Which part of the "miniatures experience" are you looking for? To me the biggest difference between board wargames and miniatures wargames is the freedom of movement (although there are minis games with grids). A boardgame with miniatures is still a boardgame. Using actual miniatures rules with tokens would give a better feel for what they're like.
r

Really I am interested in games like Mars Attacks the Miniatures Game or Terminator Genisys. Games without the hobby assembly/painting, but with a tabletop experience. They seem like miniatures games for boardgamers. They have streamlined rules, or at least quick start rules, and come in a self contained experience. I like the 3D aspect of miniatures and the free flow of movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:

I Can't believe I forgot this game. It inspired me to paint the minis in the game. The rules also have a miniature feel to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
biturian_varosh wrote:
r

Really I am interested in games like Mars Attacks the Miniatures Game or Terminator Genisys. Games without the hobby assembly/painting, but with a tabletop experience. They seem like miniatures games for boardgamers. They have streamlined rules, or at least quick start rules, and come in a self contained experience. I like the 3D aspect of miniatures and the free flow of movement.

Sergeants Miniatures Game gives you this. Pre-painted minis. Variable map that goes together like a jigsaw that has terrain but no grid. Movement is by ruler. Combat is card based. Rules are pretty simple but you can actually use real world infantry tactics.

It is a bit expensive though. For a less expensive version of the same thing go with Sergeants D-Day but the minis are now cardboard standees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb

Lost Battles

As well as a board game, it is also a miniatures game. I have also pimped this quite a bit, if you wish to take a look:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/794192/lost-battles-mak...

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dune Tiger
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised not to see Commands & Colors: Ancients or Commands & Colors: Napoleonics in this list. Though they aren't minis, the blocks and gameplay definitely give off the feel of minis. Likewise M44 and Battlelore, but the minis aren't pre-painted.

Edit: last bit addressed by OP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff miller
United States
West Jefferson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great addition to this list! I have indeed pimped out Commands & Colors: Napoleonicswith 1/72 scale minis and n gauge buildings. This game really works well with them and the look adds a terrific visual element to the game play.

DuneTiger wrote:
I'm surprised not to see Commands & Colors: Ancients or Commands & Colors: Napoleonics in this list. Though they aren't minis, the blocks and gameplay definitely give off the feel of minis. Likewise M44 and Battlelore, but the minis aren't pre-painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
What about that? Edgehill 1642 Certainly, it could become adapted into such, as long that the 'miniatures' were small enough, or enlarge their map to accommodate those accordingly.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're asking for non-historical games, you're in luck. Aside from the ones mentioned here, there are lots of fantasy and science fiction skirmish board games, such as Claustrophobia, Level 7 [Omega Protocol], Ogre / G.E.V., Space Hulk, Galaxy Defenders, and countless more.

Also, I would recommend Song of Blades and Heroes. They're miniatures rules, but they're designed for fast play with any figures or cardboard stand-ups you have on hand. I've gone the stand-up route, with felt pieces for terrain. Very inexpensive, very quick, and a lot of fun.

atsgamer wrote:
biturian_varosh wrote:
r

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amund Christensen
Canada
Brockville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DuneTiger wrote:

Any pics?..........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Burt
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nobody mention Battlecry and Memoir44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdaddy wrote:
Since you're asking for non-historical games, you're in luck. Aside from the ones mentioned here, there are lots of fantasy and science fiction skirmish board games, such as Claustrophobia, Level 7 [Omega Protocol], Ogre / G.E.V., Space Hulk, Galaxy Defenders, and countless more.

Also, I would recommend Song of Blades and Heroes. They're miniatures rules, but they're designed for fast play with any figures or cardboard stand-ups you have on hand. I've gone the stand-up route, with felt pieces for terrain. Very inexpensive, very quick, and a lot of fun.

atsgamer wrote:
biturian_varosh wrote:
r

Love your show. Thanks for the advice. I like SoBH a great deal and agree with this. I am also exploring Frostgrave. Claustrophobia and Galaxy Defenders are both on my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Mustafa has developed a cross-over game for boardgamers looking to try miniatures but are put off by the painting: Blucher has fairly simple miniatures rules, but uses cards instead of miniatures. You can print your own or else buy pre-made packs. Each card is generally a brigade.

Another set of rules, this time for a few figures, is Saga. This only has a handful of miniatures per side, but the beauty of the system is using the special dice sets to build up and pull off incredibly complex and heroic moves - the stuff Sagas are made of!

Some boardgames try to put the "look" of miniatures into a boardgame. Examples are Eagles of the Empire, Napoleon's Triumph, Leuthen: Frederick's Greatest Victory and Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the closest (worth playing) is Advanced Squad Leader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.