Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I love Imperial 2030. Perhaps the only thing I don't like is the way the endgame can make you feel like you have to do a ton of math to calculate whether or not it's the right time to end it.

Has anyone experimented with any simple solutions?

I was thinking of something as simple as a deck of six facedown cards. Each shows a combination of two countries, just like the underside of the nation cards except without the numbers. Each player takes one such card randomly and they stay secret from other players.

The rule could be that the player counts as having one more Power in each of those two countries at the end of the game. A player would still have to get them to 25 Power to win, but then some players may count them as 26 Power in the final math.

Alternatively, the rule for the cards could be that the player gets bonus points at the end of the game equal to the Power level of each of their two secret countries. This works differently to the first option above, as this one creates more of a bias towards players wanting certain countries to do better. And other players may seek to deduce what your 'primary' countries are. But it may unbalance the game too much.

What do you think?

Best

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have 3 minutes to play your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does 26 power represent? I'm struggling to understand. 25 power = 5x multiplier. What would the multiplier be on 26 power?

I just want to make sure you are doing scoring right, because there are several things you've said above that don't seem to make sense to me.

Bonds have interest and principal values.

Nations have a power value and that corresponds to a power multiplier.

Score at the end = power multiplier x interest value on bonds + money.

At the end of the game, you don't need to do much maths, a few rules of thumb are sufficient.

Look at the interest yield on the bonds in the country you plan to level up vs the interest yield on the bonds in other player's hands. Will you gain more by increasing?

Look at the countries immediately after you in player order, will they be likely to end the game on their turn, if so, you have lost the points you could have gained on your turn.

Look at the investor tile? How far away from you is it? How many activations are there before it gets to you? Will there be anything you want to buy when it gets to you? If you can't see yourself getting any more bonds, try to stop anyone else doing so.

Finally golden rule, if you think you are winning, speed the game up, if you think you are losing, slow the game down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding Fuzzy Math into a pure--ingenious--economics game is a bad idea IMO. Don't fix what ain't broken. Besides, you don't have to calculate down to the dollar. With experience you get a feel for where things stand, not only for yourself but for everyone. So the decision to 'spin and win' may come down to a particular Investor payoff for you while denying a payout for your nearest competitor. This sense of rhythm and timing, in fact, is what makes this game so brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Loehn
Germany
Kleinostheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cash is supposed to be hidden information. So you can´t really count it out unless you like to play with an open money variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Cash is perfectly trackable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Loehn
Germany
Kleinostheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Cash is perfectly trackable.

I would say 99,9% of all players lose track of their opponents cash unless they write it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
For most of the game it is pretty trivial. You know what bonds they hold (or held). After that it is just a matter of back tracking interest payments and tax bonuses.

Or hand everyone paper and pencil.

Or better yet, play with open money and forget the silliness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
For most of the game it is pretty trivial. You know what bonds they hold (or held). After that it is just a matter of back tracking interest payments and tax bonuses.

Or hand everyone paper and pencil.

Or better yet, play with open money and forget the silliness.

Agree. But only because I love the idea of poker chip style money for this game! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with poker chips (which seems more fun than paper money) so think I will just make some silly screens (depicting scenes of ultra-wealthy homes etc) to help players abide by the 'hidden money' rule.

I imagine only VERY serious players will keep track of others' cash, so it will have to do as a way of keeping something unknown. And it's less fiddly than my ideas about house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.