Subject: Armory? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fernandez Marquez
Spain
Tarragona
Tarragona
flag msg tools
So, getting Level 99 stuff in my country can be something of a pain. But I managed to snatch Devastation by a miracle a couple months ago, and fell in love. And now a couple copies of Devastation Extended and Armory appeared in a shop.

I'm definitely grabbing Extended, but I'm not sure about Armory. What does it actually bring to the table? Is it just pre-match customization? Because matches already take a fair amount of time and I kinda worry that adding custom time before each one would make it take forever. Is it worth it?

(Also, while I'm here, what is this I hear about rules changes and a meter and different starting positions and stuff?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drascin wrote:
So, getting Level 99 stuff in my country can be something of a pain. But I managed to snatch Devastation by a miracle a couple months ago, and fell in love. And now a couple copies of Devastation Extended and Armory appeared in a shop.

I'm definitely grabbing Extended, but I'm not sure about Armory. What does it actually bring to the table? Is it just pre-match customization? Because matches already take a fair amount of time and I kinda worry that adding custom time before each one would make it take forever. Is it worth it?

There are a number of ways you can play with it. Besides pre-match customization, it's pretty crucial if you want to play with the BattleQUEST dungeons that you got with Devastation, and they also have a much more casual mode, where you make a stack of 25 bases and draw randomly from that.

The original Devastation Extended included some armory cards, but if you see a boxed set in a store, it's a reprint that does not include those cards.

Quote:
(Also, while I'm here, what is this I hear about rules changes and a meter and different starting positions and stuff?)

The starting positions are easy: the new recommended starting positions for all versions of the game are closer, like so:
ooXoXoo
This is a really easy change, and I like it: earlier, many players only had one or two viable attacks in the starting position, and this makes the game more dynamic from the beginning, without changing the game a lot.

The Force Gauge is a more extensive change, completely replacing the special action Pulse/Cancel system. I don't have an opinion on it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:

The Force Gauge is a more extensive change, completely replacing the special action Pulse/Cancel system. I don't have an opinion on it yet.

Just to expand on this a bit, the Force Gauge rules and cards are included in War: Remastered and Fate. I don't have an opinion on it yet, either, as I haven't played with it. But it's a change that is being implemented and may take over eventually as the standard, rather than the Special Action card. Since you only have Devastation, I wouldn't worry about it right now.

Also, I agree with Dylan about the new starting spaces: I recommend them as the new standard way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fernandez Marquez
Spain
Tarragona
Tarragona
flag msg tools
I see. Well, I don't know if I will ever be able to get Fate and War Remastered, so who knows if I'll be able to ever use those meter rules.

As for Armory, so it also adds a pile of new bases? Hm. That could be a little more usable. We've only poked at playing with beta bases once, but it was entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drascin wrote:

It is mostly just pre-match customization. I'll be honest, I don't think it actually improves the game -- it can actually make things worse. It's really for die-hard fans who already have a whole bunch of BattleCON stuff and want even more variety.

While its fun to play with, it doesn't necessarily make for better match-ups or better games. I enjoy it, though, mostly for just a couple of cards in it.

In devestation there's this arena where the bases get thrown in a pile and you get random bases every turn, which is supposed to represent random weapons being tossed into the arena by the onlookers... well, now you can actually do that. Instead of the usual bases, they can throw in specialized bases like ninja stars, swords, staffs, ninja scrolls, chainsaws... even a lawnmower! I've been looking forward to doing that... haven't tried it yet.

But again... the game's fine without it, maybe even better. Armory can be a bit much, and it kind of deludes the point of having all these different specialized characters.

With devestation you still have Alpha bases, Beta bases, and EX bases. Have you felt like you needed more?

I like the Armory expansion. But I don't necessarily recommend it to someone who hasn't been playing with Devestation and War for awhile already.

I would get War and Strikers before I got Armory or Light & Shadow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Drascin wrote:
I see. Well, I don't know if I will ever be able to get Fate and War Remastered, so who knows if I'll be able to ever use those meter rules.

As for Armory, so it also adds a pile of new bases? Hm. That could be a little more usable. We've only poked at playing with beta bases once, but it was entertaining.
Note that the beta bases, specifically Counter, got slightly changed with Armory, to bring the pentagon of countering back into the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fernandez Marquez
Spain
Tarragona
Tarragona
flag msg tools
lordrahvin wrote:
I like the Armory expansion. But I don't necessarily recommend it to someone who hasn't been playing with Devestation and War for awhile already.

I would get War and Strikers before I got Armory or Light & Shadow.

That kinda presupposes I CAN get those . The shipping charges alone from the US to here are in the vicinity of eighty dollars, so I kinda need to trust on distributors here actually bringing them around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, I like the idea of using the weird Armory bases in the Warrior's Festival arena. Thanks, Brook!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.