BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: BL2 for a new gamer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who is starting to gain some interest in games but is not really open minded to gaming in general (so far ). We tried the Ticket to Ride route (boring), Small World (not challenging), LCG's (too many little rules & text), and Pandemic (wants to be competitive).

So, I'm down to this:
A) Battlelore! Would this game work for said "new" gamer?

Or

B) Give up and get a new friend whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your friend sounds picky. All I can say is for me BL is a great light war game. It is more complex than M44 but just because you have more options with unit types.

It hits the right spot where new players can pick it up rather easily but it doesn't feel too simple like M44.

You can also play an introductory scenario although I would recommend just playing the full game.

Also the game relies quite a bit on text. Most units have two abilities, all the lore cards require some reading, and the scenario cards have some extra rules. While it is easy to pick up on, I could see a non gamer struggle with it the first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BL2 would be a good try, it's competitive but not
overly complex. If your friend goes for it then it
also opens the door to other Terrinoth Themed games.

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Con
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
The Las Vegas Board Game Convention
mbmb
If your friend is into the fantasy theme, then this is a pretty good option for two players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't buy BL2 if you're trying to find a game your friend likes. Is your friend interested in games? I bought several games with the hope of having one appeal to my wife, and she hates them all. My daughter is the opposite and plays everything, including BL2.

If you already have BL2, give it try, but it's a sizable investment if you don't play it. It is an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he's a picky dude with everything. I own all the games that I mentioned (including BL + expansions) and I was hoping a fairly new gamer could grasp the nuances and timing of BL. A guy can dream right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Set up time could also lose him right off the bat shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can sympathize with you wanting to have someone to game with for games you are interested in playing. Unfortunately, I have many games sitting on my shelf because I bought them more for me and less for the person I was going to play them with.

I would suggest getting more information from your friend about what games or activities he DOES like. Then extrapolate from there about games that incorporate those elements. Work up from there to games that meet both your interests.

And it couldn't hurt to look for other people to game with as well who would be less picky, more excited about gaming and who share your interests more closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's tough. I kind of feel obligated to give someone with even a slight interest the right start in the hobby. But, in the end it's up to them and their interest level.

I have a regular game night (right now we're finishing a Imperial Assault campaign), a smaller group at a game shop (LOTR LCG), and my wife who loves worker placement (Alien Frontiers, Lords of Waterdeep, Kingsburg) and anything Star Wars, and close friend who only plays Dice Masters.

So I feel lucky that I have options, but it's never a bad thing to have another good friend join the fold!

Thank you all! Love BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Personally for your situation, I would get a summoner wars starter kit or the master set. It plays very similar to battlelore and its quicker and easier to setup and play. At about 20/35 bucks respectively it's a cheap way to find out if you two would like it. If it goes well you could try battlelore later. No reason to not have both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it with a buddy who had only played Catan previously - he loved it. Have played about 5-6 games now and looking forward to more. If they have an interest in any war game or skirmish type game - this is really nice, accessible, quick to learn and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
***OP Update***

Played BL2 the other night with said new gamer, and it went very well! He loved the mechanics, the theme, and the game was close enough where he felt successful. I won by VP but he was getting to close to knocking out my whole army.

The verdict? Well, he emailed the next day and bought it on Amazon.

Welcome to the dark side my young apprentice ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.