Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo rules change to the older version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nikolaas Storme
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thisafternoon i decided to play some solo thunderstone. It had been a long time a go so I checked the towers of Ruin manual,I played and lost big time.
I also own all the earlier thunderstone boxes. Looking through the wrath of elements rules i spotted a big difference there the rules state that when you win from a monster you refill the dungeon as normal but as a reward you do not draw a new monster at the end of the NEXT turn. This makes a big difference giving you some breathing time.I didn't find this reward in the tower of ruins rules. Offcourse I can choose how I want to play but what are the official rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rey
msg tools
It is official change of rules because they wanted to make it easier for players. Old version was kind of annoying - you simply don't have enough time to 'build' your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, classic (old) TS gave you more time in solo. Kill a monster, get a free turn, even on Warrior difficulty (2XP or bigger monster to get a free turn). TSA solo, where monsters advance every turn regardless of whether you kill one or not this turn, making it the same as Nightmare solo difficulty in classic TS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wondered about that. I tried TSA solo a couple times, but was completely crushed, not even close to winning. For such a modular game, it seemed really odd that there weren't different levels of difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I win about 50% of the time using TSA solo rules. It seems that using the original rules where you get a free turn each time you defeat a monster would be much too easy.

Also you can easily modify the difficulty level by mixing in more or less of level 1,2, and 3 monsters or starting off with some xp or getting more/less free turns at the beginning before the monsters start to advance, or using the easy/hard side of the board. Am I missing anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Smithston
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's any consolation I have been playing TSA solo for quite some time. 2 nights ago I was playing and getting my ass kicked as usual (I very rarely win) when suddenly it clicked what I was doing wrong. I played again the next night and absolutely whooped the dungeons ass! Thunderstone is a unique puzzle every time you play but if you figure out the right combination of cards you will win no matter how hard the solo game first appears!!

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.