Constantine Caviris
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious to test this game out, so I made a copy of the print and play version and played two games with a group of four players. In the first game, the player who went fourth one on his first turn. In the second game the player who went first won on his second turn. We played the base game. I watched the game play video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEceQg47UHo that was posted on the kickstarter. We seem to have followed the rules. Has anyone else experienced such quick games with four players? It seems too quick to me. I was thinking of adding in some of the expansion cards for a game with 12 cards instead of the nine. I like the idea for this game, and think it has potential if the game only lasted a few rounds longer. I wanted to like it, but the games were just too fast with four players. I think adding the pirate, vagrant, and liar while leaving in the nine other cards could fix this. Has anyone else tried this? Any other recommendations?

Edit: I think I just had a fluke play. Gave this have a second chance and it played quite nicely. More in my comment below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tagmire
United States
Westmont
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Re: Is this game broken with four players or am I missing something?
Hey Constantine,
The game is quick but not nearly as quick as your experiences here. I have two questions.

Did your group bluff often? I'm not sure if you'll know or not, but thats one of the reasons I've come across shorter games.

Did players swap under the table for the Evil Witch? The active player is the only one who should know where he/she put back each card that was (or wasn't) swapped. I've seen people swap in the open and you can tell where they placed the cards back.

Hope this helps!
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Caviris
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jtagmire wrote:
Hey Constantine,
The game is quick but not nearly as quick as your experiences here. I have two questions.

Did your group bluff often? I'm not sure if you'll know or not, but thats one of the reasons I've come across shorter games.

Did players swap under the table for the Evil Witch? The active player is the only one who should know where he/she put back each card that was (or wasn't) swapped. I've seen people swap in the open and you can tell where they placed the cards back.

Hope this helps!
Jason

There was some bluffing, but I think players were honest more often then not. In both games there was either an early attempt use of an elder or a useful card being called out that made the winning player have a good shot of guessing were the winning card was by their turn using what they knew.

Swapping was done under the table, though in the games we played it didn't seem to come into play often due to the shortness of the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Treat
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking either of the Elder actions is risky. If you do it and fail, someone to your left is likely to win shortly. In a four-player game, you're almost guaranteed not to get another turn. It's very advisable to hold off on taking an Elder action until you think you've got at least a 50-50 chance to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Caviris
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is this game broken with four players or am I missing something? I was missing something, the game is not broken
I gave this game a second chance and I must say, it played quite nicely. We did try playing with the expansion cards in addition to the nine regular ones, but I think with just nine it would have played fine too. I think in the first two plays that I mentioned above we just happened to have a lucky guess or something. The game plays fine and is quite enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.