Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Little slow on the Arkham board here, so I thought I'd contribute a topic.

My group has played Arkham literally hundreds of times, and in that time one GOO above all others has risen to become our arch-enemy: Glaaki! Usually when we're facing the spiky slug the game somehow gives the illusion of actually intelligently planning against us, the Mythos cards and Encounter cards constantly falling in just the right (or wrong) way. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times we've successfully Sealed Glaaki away. Sometimes we beat him in combat, but often we do not, and he is definitely our "love to hate" Great Old One.

Of course we lose more to some others, such as Atlach-Nacha or of course Zhar, but it's Glaaki who seems to consistently oppose us with wit and style rather than simply being written to be a bulldozer like the prior two.

How many others have a favorite nemesis GOO? Which is yours, and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Wilkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hastur. I don't own all expansions, just Dunwich and all of the small boxes. Whenever I play with The King In Yellow it's always with Hastur and inevitably when I'm one seal from winning Act III begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam,

Atlach-Nacha is my personal nemesis...I've House Ruled Gate Bursts because of that GOO. First time, the Seal turns over from the Elder Sign to the Doom Token. Only on the second Gate Burst does it get removed.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaaki used to be my nemesis. Now it's Rhan-Tegoth. Because Rhan-Tegoth is both difficult and un-fun. He's badly designed and unfair, and is so my least favorite AO to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Glaaki used to be my nemesis. Now it's Rhan-Tegoth. Because Rhan-Tegoth is both difficult and un-fun. He's badly designed and unfair, and is so my least favorite AO to play.
Tibs, can you elaborate? What specifically about R-T is poorly designed? How would you house-rule him to work better? Just think it would make for an interesting discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no way to adequately predict or bounce back from R-T's ability, and the ability is extraordinarily punishing: it adds a doom token, and it forces a re-draw, which can cause a chain. R-T already has a low doom track length, so he's quick to awaken.

Zhar and Ghatanothoa have abilities that adopt some of these mechanics but they're not as annoying.

Really, not to get far off topic, but these three AOs are all from Innsmouth, which came with double the number of AOs that a big-box typically had. I think the designers should have made only four AOs and put more effort into developing them. Actually, these four are interesting enough on their own:

Bokrug
Cthugha
Nyogtha
Quachil Uttaus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tibs,

It's interesting that you mentioned the number of AOs in Innsmouth. As the last big box set with AOs, it seemed to serve as the perfect bookend to the entirety of the big box offerings, besides Miskatonic, in that Arkham and Innsmouth both possessed 16 Investigators and half that many AOs, akin to Dunwich and Kingsport, with 8 Investigators and half as many AOs.

I agree wholeheartedly that many of the later AOs lacked the finesse of the earlier ones, and were designed to simply punish the players/Investigators.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
There is no way to adequately predict or bounce back from R-T's ability, and the ability is extraordinarily punishing: it adds a doom token, and it forces a re-draw, which can cause a chain.

Would it be enough to houserule that if the replacement is also a cultist, it doesn't count and you draw again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. The chain is one annoying problem, but the complete unpredictability is another entirely. The investigators still have close to no control over it: the best they can do is close gates specifically to reduce monster surges to lower the probability that Cultists would be drawn. And then the penalty for drawing them is still too high.

Basically there would need to be a delayed effect or something the investigators could collectively do (spend some number of clues?) to cancel the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
kungfro wrote:
There is no way to adequately predict or bounce back from R-T's ability, and the ability is extraordinarily punishing: it adds a doom token, and it forces a re-draw, which can cause a chain.

Would it be enough to houserule that if the replacement is also a cultist, it doesn't count and you draw again?

Or what about every second cultist removed causes the effect to trigger? There's six cultists in the core game, so this reduces the max penalty to three triggers, and with all expansions you're only getting up to one more activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another house-rule idea for R-T. If a Cultist appears on a Gate he doesn't move, but is drawn through the Gate in the next Mythos phase- unless defeated first- at which point he adds his Doom to RT's track.

If a Cultist appears in the streets or during an encounter, you're outta luck.

I prefer the other "Russian Roulette" mechanics from Innsmouth, especially Ghatanothoa's "visage" tokens. RT's thing is too random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
Another house-rule idea for R-T. If a Cultist appears on a Gate he doesn't move, but is drawn through the Gate in the next Mythos phase- unless defeated first- at which point he adds his Doom to RT's track.

If a Cultist appears in the streets or during an encounter, you're outta luck.

I prefer the other "Russian Roulette" mechanics from Innsmouth, especially Ghatanothoa's "visage" tokens. RT's thing is too random.

Even so, the investigators have some control over Ghatanothoa's ability by choosing not to collect more than one clue token at a time from the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.