Subject: Assembly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dick Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
This will be my first sprue that i have put together and painted so i am looking for a few suggestions please.

I am looking for some suggestions on some tools & maybe some sort video and referral on paints that are good to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I'd say Brimstone is a poor choice for a first project.

The models are fiddly, and don't assemble well - requiring filling with modelling putty, etc. Give it a go, by all means, but be mindful that you might find the endeavour overly frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I did think the same as you but the quality is what gave me the idea to go for it. If it comes out bad i have somewhere to place blame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Fist
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
For tools you will need a small pair of snippers, a modelling razor blade, model glue, and maybe a file (though I find that using a modeling blade is often quicker and more effective than filing.)

ALWAYS snip each part off of the sprue first, and then use the blade/file to make it flush. Fit each part together before glueing to make sure it is flush. If it is not, keep cutting/filing until it is. When glueing, hold the piece together or use a small plastic clamp to hold them for a few minutes to let the glue set.

Many of the SoB pieces did not fit well together, so I had to keep shaving down the connection areas to make them flush.

Start with the tentacles first, as they are by far the easiest to assemble.

If you want to watch a video, do youtube search... there are many available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
What brand of paint should i look for. Also matte or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Fist
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Citadel paint is always good (can be found at any local gaming store), but its on the pricey side, and the containers are very small.

I use vallejo paint - the quality is excellent and the containers are much larger and better quality than the citadel flip tops.

Also, flying frog offers starter paint sets for both monsters and heroes... This may be a good option for you since you are starting out and these packs would have all the paints you need.

As for matte... it gets a bit tricky. If you are looking for something to seal your models there are several ways. You can get the spray varnish or paint on varnish. I have heard all kinds of different opinions on what works well and what doesn't. I actually have never used matte varnish. I know if you apply it too think you will run into big problems. I plan to try out the citadel spray-on matte varnish on my shadows of brimstone models in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used basic matte acrylic (water based) craft paints from the Michaels craft store chain. They worked just fine for my purposes. I have some experience from years ago building model airplanes, but no miniature assembly/paint experience prior to this game.

I bought a dozen or so basic colors and then did my own custom mixing to get the shades I wanted without buying 50 different colors. I also used a Testors brand wash that I found at Michaels as well. It worked alright but required significant thinning to accomplish what I wanted.

When the painting was done, I used a matte clear-coat spray from Krylon that worked ok. Unfortunately, I must have goofed in my application on some of the models - most were fine, but I did things in batches so I wasn't spraying everything all at once. There was one batch though - the Slashers - that I either sprayed too heavily or too close to the models and the clear spray went on white in places. I was very disappointed since the Slasher paint job had come out very nicely up to that point. Oh well. I guess I've learned something for the next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.