A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Is this game considered a war game? Also is this considered to be a medium weight game and not too difficult for people who have game experience with say something like Risk to learn? Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is considered a heavy war game. An average game lasts between 4 and 6 hours of play. I would not recommend this game for beginner gamers. The simularity with risk ends with the fact that you have armies and try to conquer territories.

There is a big diplomatic and politics system interwoven in the game. There are character cards that can be played in combat, there are random events and the game does not have any dice included.

The rulebook is feely accessible at: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/30/4f...

Have a look to see if it is something for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not really considered a "wargame" in the grognard sense. It's more about diplomacy than most wargames. It's fairly heavy - far worse than risk, although after you get used to it, it's not that bad. Certainly, you could learn it, but I'd spend some time reading and understanding the rules - it's not a pick-up-and-play type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah I see now that this game strongly has ties to the game Diplomacy just has more to it. It is more about being diplomatic and then stabbing your opponents in the back at the right time. Thanks for the info guys. It was between this and Kemet and I think I'm going with Kenet strictly because it's a quicker conflict game. More about being aggressive than being diplomatic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to compare it to diplomacy, my group refers to this as "Diplomacy for those who can't" because it's added complexity makes backstabbing matter a lot less, so although it does happen, it isn't always game-ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
True but backstabbing is still a tactic used in this game it's just more tactical. A well placed lie on helping your supposed ally still hurts pretty bad especially when they're relying on your help at a crucial time. I agree diplomacy has less going on though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:
True but backstabbing is still a tactic used in this game it's just more tactical. A well placed lie on helping your supposed ally still hurts pretty bad especially when they're relying on your help at a crucial time. I agree diplomacy has less going on though.

Oh, it is all about the diplomacy, but I find the game is a little gentler at going about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.