United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the official thread for questions about the Viticulture Essential Edition, available for pre-order from September 1-15. The official announcement will be on the Stonemaier e-newsletter on September 1--we won't be releasing any more information until then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You big tease you! This had better not make my Collector's Edition redundant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that really confused me from the newsletter was the bit about adding South American and Australian wines... How do those maps tie into the main board?

Just kidding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan, you're going to confuse people!

em-cee-crispy, the collector's edition will always remain the best possible version of Viticulture and Tuscany you can get--and you have one of the only copies that was made or ever will be made. Did you really doubt this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Bryan, you're going to confuse people!

em-cee-crispy, the collector's edition will always remain the best possible version of Viticulture and Tuscany you can get--and you have one of the only copies that was made or ever will be made. Did you really doubt this?
Nah, I'm good! Though portability is not CE's strong point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YP
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
An announcement for an announcement for a preorder of a new edition of an existing game. Boardgames are truly turning into videogames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this.
Subscribed to the newsletter just so I get the mail and don't forget this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Png
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannot wait to see what is the news about this version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YP
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Let's speculate: I think it will be Viticulture plus tier 1 and 2 from Tuscany except for special workers. What it also won't have is the original board, the original visitors that are replaced by advanced visitors and the special bonus. Since tier 3 is the weakest in Tuscany, and since special workers are not as interesting as the rest of tier 2 (and expensive to produce), this would be more than worthy of being called essential edition IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yorvog wrote:
and since special workers are not as interesting as the rest of tier 2
Speak for yourself!

(Actually I have no idea what else is in tier 2, as I've only played other people's copies, but I find the special workers very interesting.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yorvog wrote:
Let's speculate: I think it will be Viticulture plus tier 1 and 2 from Tuscany except for special workers. What it also won't have is the original board, the original visitors that are replaced by advanced visitors and the special bonus. Since tier 3 is the weakest in Tuscany, and since special workers are not as interesting as the rest of tier 2 (and expensive to produce), this would be more than worthy of being called essential edition IMO.

Yeah I mostly agree with this. However what happens next? Won't Jamie then need to either break up Tuscany with multiple smaller expansions or create a whole new version of Tuscany for those with the essential set to upgrade I they want?

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YP
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
yorvog wrote:
and since special workers are not as interesting as the rest of tier 2
Speak for yourself!

(Actually I have no idea what else is in tier 2, as I've only played other people's copies, but I find the special workers very interesting.)

I always speak for myself.

Special workers introduce new interactions/combos with other mechanics, but they don't introduce new choices, since at +$1 they're pretty much a no-brainer. Since the other tier 2 modules introduce both new interactions and new choices, I like them better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YP
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Ganybyte wrote:
yorvog wrote:

Yeah I mostly agree with this. However what happens next? Won't Jamie then need to either break up Tuscany with multiple smaller expansions or create a whole new version of Tuscany for those with the essential set to upgrade I they want?

E

The essential edition would only be "missing" tier 3, which most people play without anyway, and special workers, which could be released separately I guess but that would be relatively expensive for a small gameplay addition so I doubt it would be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
yorvog wrote:
An announcement for an announcement for a preorder of a new edition of an existing game. Boardgames are truly turning into videogames.

I was pretty jazzed by the E3 trailer, though it seems to have dropped off everyone's radar since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yorvog wrote:
Ganybyte wrote:
yorvog wrote:

E

The essential edition would only be "missing" tier 3, which most people play without anyway, and special workers, which could be released separately I guess but that would be relatively expensive for a small gameplay addition so I doubt it would be worth it.

The more I think about "essential" really can be pared down, a lot of tier 1 is actually hit or miss too. I can't see him including three boards in the box, so I imagine a doublesided board one with the original board for beginners/ teaching the basics and the second side with the full "extended board" (with structures). So then of course the advanced visitors would be included along with structures and stars etc.

The properties, mamas and papas and the patronage cards really could go either way though. I love the properties and the mamas and papas and always play with them, but are they essential? Patronage works great with the original board to help mitigate a bad draw of early wine orders, but, at least at our table, they are totally ignored once people started playing on the advanced boards.

The special workers are awesome but really are an add-on and feel like it. They would also be easily packaged as a standalone expansion. (And I'd pick them up 3 seconds after ordering the essential set.)

I totally agree with pretty much all of tier 3, which pretty much are one time novelty add ons (we admittedly haven't tried them all yet). Except Automa; I haven't even opened my Automa, not my thing, but I can see that making sense to include in the "essential" version.
E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will come with a plain black-and white boards/cards, text only. Tokens are all wood cubes. No money, you can keep track of that on pen and paper. All packaged in one medium burlap sack.

You only need those essentials to play, right? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hykes
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crackbone wrote:
...All packaged in one medium burlap sack.

You only need those essentials to play, right? laugh

The burlap sack was part of the KS first edition to hold the grape/wine tokens. I'm thinking a cloth bag ordered from the same distributor Queen Games uses for all their games. Keeps it colorful and unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently got 2nd edition + Tuscany Prima. Is it still the same things in just a different configuration? Or did I make a mistake buying early?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
zenxacred wrote:
I just recently got 2nd edition + Tuscany Prima. Is it still the same things in just a different configuration? Or did I make a mistake buying early?

Sounds like it will be a subset of those two...wait to be sure, but unlikely to have been a mistake. I also bought what you did a couple months back and am not regretting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
zenxacred wrote:

Sounds like it will be a subset of those two...wait to be sure, but unlikely to have been a mistake. I also bought what you did a couple months back and am not regretting it.

Same, and I paid a *lot* for the Kickstarter version (just a slightly fancier version of what you got), but I really think it's a top game so I'm not sorry I did it. I'd be sorrier if I got stuck with less than the full set of game add-ons, which is what this sounds like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zen and Scott: You didn't make a mistake. It'll all be clear tomorrow. A few basic things from Tuscany have been moved to Viticulture, but at the same time, we're removing a lot of things from the future version of Tuscany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
It'll all be clear tomorrow.

It's already the 1st for more than half of the world's population!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
steckman wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
It'll all be clear tomorrow.

It's already the 1st for more than half of the world's population!

Cool image and info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Day
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
jameystegmaier wrote:
we're removing a lot of things from the future version of Tuscany.

This makes me sad, and increases my desire to find a copy of Tuscany and Viticulture in their current iterations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.