Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Lobotomy» Forums » General

Subject: Poll about app usage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lobotomy just reached the stretch goal for an app. I know there have been countless discussions about board games and apps before, but I would like to know, how many people actually plan to use an app for a game like Lobotomy.

Poll: Will you use an app with game art, stories, scenarios, monster cards, character card tool and monsgter spawn generator?
Will you use an app with game art, stories, scenarios, monster cards, character card tool and monsgter spawn generator for Lobotomy?
Yes, I think the app will facilitate gameplay and I will use it.
No, the app will add nothing to gameplay and I will not use it.
I would like to use the app, but I don't have the necessary tablet/ smartphone.
      80 answers
Poll created by Magermilchmagier

Edit: Buh, too dumb to spell monster correctly. Please excuse my spelling. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim van der Weyden
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
mbmb
Artbook preference over app.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Emrich
Canada
flag msg tools
It's the app or nothing. Be happy you got something at that stretch goal level and be done with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthewemrich wrote:
It's the app or nothing. Be happy you got something at that stretch goal level and be done with it.

You miss the point of my poll.

Yes, I don't like the stretch goal. I don't like smartphones or tablets for my games and I hate when friends use them when we play, as I find it rude to meet for game night and then stare at some display instead of concentrating on the game. Usually those players who look at their gadgets miss on the rules and cause massive downtime to others as they have to get into play again whenever it is their turn.

But this stretch goal was already reached and I don't expect it to be changed. So, why am I doing it? Because I want to know, if I am just too old school or not. Many projects come with app stretch goals now, sometimes like with Lobotomy cancelling an artbook to later have an app. I like artbooks, while I hate apps.
If I am in the minority, I will not argue much about apps in future projects. But if the majority is against apps, I will use this poll as an argument for future projects.

This poll isn't about changing the TitanForge's decision for stretch goals (although I wouldn't mind the app to get axed), it is about declaring if we really want apps for our games.

Edit: Regarding the "be happy that you get something", I would prefer to get nothing for that stretch goal, as I think the app is easily underestimated and I don't want to see TitanForge suffer for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could I'd vote none of the above at the moment. It depends what's in the app but I wouldn't blindly say I would or would not use it at this moment in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JudgementDave wrote:
If I could I'd vote none of the above at the moment. It depends what's in the app but I wouldn't blindly say I would or would not use it at this moment in time.

Fair enough. The funny thing about polls is, you try to cover all possibilities and there is always something you didn't think of. On the other hand, with yes, no and I can't, people had to decide. A maybe option might have become the poll winner.

Anyway, I am surprised to see so many votes for yes. I think the app completely useless, but with so many votes in favor of the vote, there seems to be demand for an app. So, at least the effort to come up with an app will probably not be in vain and that is all I want (at least as long as the app doesn't become a necessity).

Thanks for everyone participating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
*shrug* well it remains to be seen what the app will offer, content-wise.

But I can imagine that it would be handy to make friends acquainted with the game and (if available) look into the rules before we go and play it, for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magermilchmagier wrote:
I don't like smartphones or tablets for my games and I hate when friends use them when we play, as I find it rude to meet for game night and then stare at some display instead of concentrating on the game. Usually those players who look at their gadgets miss on the rules and cause massive downtime to others as they have to get into play again whenever it is their turn.

I feel like you've never actually played a game with an app.

For the two games I've played with integral apps (not just 3rd-party helper apps), the apps are absolutely not a distraction. When a player is looking at the app on a phone/tablet, he is focusing on the game because the app is part of the game.

Take XCOM, for example. The person running the app would be booed off the stage if he were to switch out of the app to check his Facebook. Due to the time-sensitive gameplay, the app needs to be kept running for the entirety of the game.

In Alchemists, which is not time-sensitive, players are generally discouraged from touching their phones when not checking a combination. To do so would be to invite suspicion of cheating, as you might appear to be checking combinations out of turn.

Don't get me wrong -- I, too, detest the use of phones and tablets when they are not a part of the game. That is the height of rudeness. But it's also irrelevant to the discussion of whether board games should include an app component. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if more games had app tie-ins, distractions might decrease overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krychek wrote:
Magermilchmagier wrote:
I don't like smartphones or tablets for my games and I hate when friends use them when we play, as I find it rude to meet for game night and then stare at some display instead of concentrating on the game. Usually those players who look at their gadgets miss on the rules and cause massive downtime to others as they have to get into play again whenever it is their turn.

I feel like you've never actually played a game with an app.

For the two games I've played with integral apps (not just 3rd-party helper apps), the apps are absolutely not a distraction. When a player is looking at the app on a phone/tablet, he is focusing on the game because the app is part of the game.

Take XCOM, for example. The person running the app would be booed off the stage if he were to switch out of the app to check his Facebook. Due to the time-sensitive gameplay, the app needs to be kept running for the entirety of the game.

In Alchemists, which is not time-sensitive, players are generally discouraged from touching their phones when not checking a combination. To do so would be to invite suspicion of cheating, as you might appear to be checking combinations out of turn.

Don't get me wrong -- I, too, detest the use of phones and tablets when they are not a part of the game. That is the height of rudeness. But it's also irrelevant to the discussion of whether board games should include an app component. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if more games had app tie-ins, distractions might decrease overall.

Yes, you are right, I haven't played any games with app. Maybe it isn't even that far away from a score sheet or a piece of paper for one's note, but it contradicts my goal to have a good time with my friends (that might not be the problem) and get away from omnipresent modern gadgets like smartphones and computers. I have to use them everywhere (and I usually don't mind them or use them happily), but I want some time off as well and that is game night for me.

The worst game I've ever seen was Golem Arcana in Essen. Everytime I passed the demo table, th players stared at the displays instead of the board in front of them or their opponent. I am so happy that I didn't pledge for that project.

If people want to see games with apps, okay, that is fine. I feel different and hope, that apps don't become essential integrated parts in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magermilchmagier wrote:
The worst game I've ever seen was Golem Arcana in Essen. Everytime I passed the demo table, th players stared at the displays instead of the board in front of them or their opponent. I am so happy that I didn't pledge for that project.

If the app was actually reducing player interaction, I would say Golem Arcana is an example of a game with poorly implemented app support. I agree with you that that is NOT a direction board games need to go.

But it has been done well in enough games that to lump all app-supported board games into the trash bin is a gross overgeneralization and a terrible mistake.

In Alchemists, the app removes an unfun chore and allows an extra person to play rather than having to be moderator. You don't stare at it; you briefly pick up the phone, take a picture, and get back to the game. It's a tiny part of your turn, and some turns you might not use it at all.

In XCOM, one person does have to watch the display for most of the game, but no one else ever does. And that one person is in constant communication with the other players as he's watching, so it can easily be argued that the app actually encourages and enhances player interaction.

An app is a tool like any other. Used well, it can do much good. Used improperly, it can murder baby seals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fair enough. And the poll indicates that way more people are interested in the app as I would ever had thought possible.

I still want to get away from all the modern gadgets when playing, so games that need apps stay out of the question for me (besides, I don't trust in companies to care for game apps for decades to come).
If I miss on some good games because of that... Well, I am reaching my limits anyway, so I can't get every good game anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.