Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lester Ortiz
Puerto Rico
Dorado
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been eyeing this game for well over a year. But the repeated art thing is a big put off in my book. Not interested in the Villains set to start either.

Has UD ever considered doing a 2nd edition/run with different art? Maybe throw in a snazzy mat like the Villains set too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a minor annoyance at worst. If you don't like the game enough to overlook it, there are other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having different art on the Hero's different cards (as they have done with all the expansions) is an annoyance when it comes time to put the game away.

Having the same art on all of them (as in the base game) makes sorting those heroes' cards much much easier.

The only, in my opinion, minor annoyance with the same-art heroes, is that it, occasionally, during play, takes a few milliseconds longer to discern which rarity of card it is that is in the HQ.

So, in a nutshell: Both styles (all same art, and different art for each card) have their positives and negatives, but, in practice, the negatives, for both styles, are a very minor annoyance at worst.

If you enjoy the game play, it will not bother you too greatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly doesn't stop me from wanting to play the game, but the day they release alt art for the base heroes is a day I am EAGERLY waiting for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an annoyance for me at all. I focus on the card values and symbols which are the important parts. The mechanics of the game aren't dependent on the art one little bit. I don't even know the names of most of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually liked the same artwork for sorting purposes, but I know I'm in the minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also prefer the same artwork and wish the expansions all had the same artwork for each hero. It makes sorting it out after each play easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer different art for quicker card identification in game and simply for more flavor.

Can't wait for the 3D/alt base set art/playmat expansion! Please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thought of that initially made me hesitate as well. I ended up buying the game anyway. I am glad I did!

The fun of game play far outshines the same art cards. I prefer the different art sets for the expansions. But the base game cards do not bother me at all, like I thought they would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The same-art annoyed me at first too until I realized it's much easier to sort the cards when they're the same. What annoys me more is the terrible typography. It's hard to read the titles on many of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer different art, but can live with same art. Except for Wolverine. His cards all look the same with same art and same class. Yes, reading helps me know which is which and the number of borders helps, but I look forward to the day that I can see a pic and know which X-Men Wolverine card I'm about to buy or use.

All and all, not a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there's a link here in the BGG forums where someone redid all of the original characters with alt artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mbmb
I'm with most of the others in this thread -- while the artwork of the base set might be a bit repetitive, it does make tear down much easier. Maybe that's time that you lose if you have to double-take to see which hero is available in the HQ. I think, once you play the game a few times, you learn the price and color combinations to know which card is which power, but Wolverine is the one very notable exception.

I know a few people who are really, really put out by the lack of varying art, but all of them play the game, even while they grumble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any annoyance you may get from the same art during the game is made up for with the speed of resorting the cards gained by having the same images after the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty annoying.

I'd have been happy if they had the same art but with some kind of color code to differentiate the different cards within the same "set" just so there's a quick visual difference (other than the text).

Edited: Nothing to see here. Move along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
It's pretty annoying.

I'd have been happy if they had the same art but with some kind of color code to differentiate the different cards within the same "set" just so there's a quick visual difference (other than the text).

Full border, half border, no border, have you not noticed this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
[q="Lawcomic"]
Full border, half border, no border, have you not noticed this?

Apparently not. Disregard my nonsense then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:
Any annoyance you may get from the same art during the game is made up for with the speed of resorting the cards gained by having the same images after the game.

Given the frequency of this opinion, I guess it must be true for a number of people. I've never noticed it myself, however; I sort the art-differentiated cards as fast as I can deal them out of the unused hero pile. Maybe it's because I mostly play solo and so only have 3 heroes in the deck to begin with?

What does throw me, however, is the few cards where the character (Spider-Woman? Black Cat?) is upside down. I not infrequently flip them around as I'm sorting before my front brain interrupts and says, "no, no, you had it right the first time, moron!" Grr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Ortiz
Puerto Rico
Dorado
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Two unrelated questions:

How good is this game at just 2 players?

And how good is the Villain set as a starting point (I know I said not interested in starting with it in the first post but it has a neoprene mat and has different art for the heroes/villains)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can reply to your first question, but I do not have the Villains set.

Many think that Legendary is best with two players. I have only played with 2 players so far, and it is great in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:

What does throw me, however, is the few cards where the character (Spider-Woman? Black Cat?) is upside down. I not infrequently flip them around as I'm sorting before my front brain interrupts and says, "no, no, you had it right the first time, moron!" Grr.

I have the exact same problem - even just looking at the card in the HQ I keep wanting to either turn her round, or turn my head upside down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace Attorney wrote:
Two unrelated questions:

And how good is the Villain set as a starting point (I know I said not interested in starting with it in the first post but it has a neoprene mat and has different art for the heroes/villains)?

1) 2 Players is great and my preferred way to play but it is more difficult with more players

2) I didn't start with Villains but I have played stand alone games with it. It is hard to speak to as a starting set as you will be learning the rules with it and it is a bit more aggressive against other players (because you are villain, duh) but I don't see any real reason not to. I love using the mat so mush so that the board from the base game stays on the shelf when I take it out. Same basic mechanics though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace Attorney wrote:
Two unrelated questions:

Two players is great and really enjoyable, but three players is definitely the games niche. Personally the level of goodness for me at least scales like this:

Solo: Good
2 Players: Great
3 Players: Awesome!
4 Players: Good
5 Players: Okay

As for starting with the villains set is all about how you want to play the game. Here is how I rate all of the Legendary series I have played todate:

Marvel Legendary (Original Base Game): It is a really good game with elements of cooperation and moments of competition.

Marvel Legendary Villains: This game is more about the competition with more ways to screw over your fellow allies. It is very thematic and makes you feel like a villain, if you are into that kind of thing you will like this game.

Legendary Encounters Alien: This game is a lot of fun and more Cooperative that either of the previous games. There are some elements that can be added to add some competition, but it is more of a cooperative game.

Start with any game that you want, they are all good choice. It all depends on what you want to get out of your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace Attorney wrote:
Has UD ever considered doing a 2nd edition/run with different art? Maybe throw in a snazzy mat like the Villains set too.

It might happen, but I wouldn't hold your breath for it.

Earlier this year, Upper Deck released alternative art for the Hulk, Black Widow, and Deadpool as part of their Marvel 3D trading cards. This is 100% conjecture on my part, but I feel that they used the trading cards to finance redoing the art on these base set heroes. I suspect they might be slowly working their way to redoing the artwork on all of the base set heroes, and my guess is we're still at least one year away from them releasing a revised base set with non-repeated hero artwork. Maybe 2 years. But maybe never. Nobody knows except Upper Deck, and they aren't going to say.

Most people don't seem to mind the repeated hero artwork in the base set. After you include a few expansions, most of the heroes won't have repeated artwork. I have every expansions, and the base set heroes only make up a fraction of the total heroes in the game. It seems a silly thing to get hung up on to me. However, for some folks, perhaps yourself, it does seem to be deal-breaker. Anyway, only you can answer for yourself how "annoying" it is.

As someone else has pointed out above, fans have made custom versions of the base set heroes with alternative, non-repeated artwork. If you really wanted to (and many people have), you could get them printed out at PrinterStudio or Artscow. There's also easy-to-use software for designing your own custom cards if you don't like the ones that other people have made. You can find more about this by looking in the "Variants" sub-forum here. You can also get your own playmat printed out at InkedGaming.com using any of a half-dozen playmat designs made by fans and posted here in these forums.

As for your other questions:

(1) Legendary is a fantastic 2-player game. It's also fantastic with 1 and 3 players. With 4-5, you start to get too much downtime (could be said of almost any game though that doesn't involve simultaneous play), and the difficulty doesn't scale as well to higher player counts.

(2) Unless you really like the idea of playing the game from the villains' perspective, Villains is not a good introduction, IMHO. It has odd terminology differences, and the city locations are switched around. Villains also isn't as good for 2 players because of take-that effects which have more impact with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reiter
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes clean up much easier. The cards are different colors, and different amounts of the art is visible to further distinguish.

Frankly I don't see what the fuss about. As a freelancer I can tell you how much different art on each card would have cost...LOTS! Let's not forget, this is not art recycled from the comics.

I am an artist, and a comic book fan, and I love my games to have lots of art. I consider this game among one of the best looking games I currently play.

This isn't even a minor annoyance. It's a conservative decision with a silver lining.

Frankly, I think it's a silly thing to still be complaining about since they have "corrected" it since. If it's too much of an issue for you to overcome, I would suggest a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.