Subject: City State Revolts in the Netherlands, Turn 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damian Tyree
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had an interesting situation come up in our first game.
As the Protestants I played City State Revolts on turn one, targeting Antwerp. All the wording on the card seemed to make the playing of the card legitimate, and everyone was in agreement. Spain lost Antwerp and I put a Protestant regular in my newly acquired Key.
Later that turn, Spain Spanish-Roaded some troops into the Netherlands (He had become allies with HRE through HRE's home card) and retook Antwerp. I was upset, because I thought I had fairly secured a key.
Here's the interesting part: It wasn't until the middle of turn 2 that I realized that Spain and I were not at war. So he could not have taken Antwerp back when he did.
At least, that seems to be the case. He protested a bit, but, ultimately, we concurred that it was a bit fuzzy.
So I come to you, good BGGers. What do you think? Does City State Revolts put two powers in a state of war? Could the Protestants have played CSR on Antwerp while not at war with Spain? Is this a common situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 32 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
CSR does NOT put 2 powers at war and can be played against a power even if you're not at war with it. If Spain wanted to take back Antwerp, he indeed first had to be in a state of war with you (Remember it happens automatically when you initiate a Rebellion in the Netherlands).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Tyree
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your response. It seems obvious enough, but I wanted to make sure others were in agreement about the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Riskey
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Marco. Your analysis was correct, you were not put at War due to play of CSR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bright
United Kingdom
Unspecified
London
flag msg tools
Can any of the half/half (Dutch/Spanish Hugenot/French) home keys be targeted by City State Rebels by either power? Such half/half spaces could rebel and be Dutch one turn then rebel next turn against the evil Dutch overlords and revert to Spanish: they are home spaces to both powers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastos
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. CSR cannot be played to take control of a city from a power owning the space as a home space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.