Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All! I have been working on a tile laying game for the last year now and am just getting to the point of putting the game on gamecrafter to get some good prototypes made for blind playtesting/to give to publishers.

I have everything planned out for it to be put up on gamecrafter except for one thing: the name. Now I don't think the name is that big of a deal but it would be nice to get some ideas so that if I can't get publisher interest I can self-publish instead. So I thought I would come here and give a brief description of the game and get the communities ideas!

Description:

The game is a tile laying game where you draft tiles and place them on a personal playing board. The tiles are combination of water and land with various animals on them. When you place two tiles in such a way where animals of different types are in the same "field" or "lake" the bigger eats the smaller, thus you must place in such a way that this doesn't happen. You also get points for variety of animals you get and groupings of animals.

The theme I am currently rolling with is that we have been commissioned to build the best possible natural habitat.

Current names I have tried are:

Natural Habitat
Natural Habitat Builder
Natural Habitatreserve the Wildlife!
Moradia

People like Moradia the best thus far but I don't think the meaning of the game necessarily connects with the game(it's portugese which I don't speak).

So do you like any of the above titles? Can you suggest something better?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Stowell
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chains? Actually interlocking food chains are sometimes referred to as a Food Web. Which sounds cool but I'm not sure how many people would know what that refers to (ie it's not a game about spiders). In either case "Break the Food Chain!" could be a tag line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jette Fire
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grow the Herd!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Food Chain has been suggested before. My problem with it is food chains bring up imagery of animals eating other animals, and while that happens it is a bad thing in this game. I like that tag line though!

I like the sounds of grow the herd! my problem with it is you are aiming for diversity in the game as there are 10 animal types you need to get.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jette Fire
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ark of Noah: Beginnings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jette Fire
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ark of Noah: The Landing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Stowell
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Habitat Designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Broad

SA
msg tools
designer
How about Serengeti (or some other specific geographic area relevant to the animals you have)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Glasgow
United States
Wadsworth
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Creatures of Habitat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just dump my brainstorming process:

Habitalia (spin on the word habitat)

Chomp! (animals eat other animals, though you said its a negative thing when that happens so not a good fit)

Circle of Life (might mesh with the theme?)

Herd(s) (since you said you want to group animals of the same type together)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jette: Yeah, I love me some Noah(Genesis is my fave book!). And that fits the animal vibe for sure. In the game though, you are laying tiles and designing the landscape to keep the animals from eating one another, etc. and that doesn't necessarily connect with Noah.

Ed: I like Designer better than using the term Builder!

Darren: That's pretty good advice and probably what will end up happening. I was trying to think of something that matched the gameplay but a geograpic region works too!

The more themey narrative will go something like this:

Crazy King ____ has commisioned you and your fellow designers to build him a habitat for all his animals. However, he desires this habitat to be completely natural and fenceless! Only the best habitat will be chosen by the King thus bringing fame to it's designer. Do you have what it takes to build the best habitat?

So what makes a habitat the best? King _____ will use this guideline:

1) Living Animals! Players will be reward points for each living animal on their habitat at the end of the game. The bigger the animal, the more it is worth!

2) Variety! you will recieve 5 points for each different type of animal you have in your habitat at the end of the game.

3) Large groupings! When you have 4 or more animals in the same region you will receive points according to how many are in the grouping.

The actual write up will be better written to this, but this is just to give you an idea of the theme and scoring guide. I can use a geographic region, but I was hoping to use something more in line with gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill: That is such a clever and catchy name! I feel like it doesn't quite fit with the theme though which is super unfortunate. Makes me want to design a game just to fit the name!

pvt parts: thanks for the brainstorming! I think 3 don't fit the theme but I actually really like Habitalia as I could write it in as the name of the Kings natural Habitat. Any other thoughts now that I've given more info on the theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wagner
United States
Cleveland Hts.,
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) Biomes.

2.) Biodiversity.

3.) Ecosystems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Vonderwalde
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about:

Symbiosis

Ecodiversity (A spin from Paul's suggestions)

EcoNeutralism

Survival of the Fittest

I was trying to get ideas from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_interaction#Amensal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zootopia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preservation Reservation

+1 Zootopia

Just please don't pick a name with a colon. So overused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Natural Selection?

That would play off the fact that you're aiming for a range of animals and also the evolutionary term (Wikipedia: Natural selection is the differential survival and reproduction (i.e., fitness) of individuals that differ in phenotype. It is a key mechanism of evolution.)

There is one game of that name, from 2004, but seems a relatively unheard of game with a very different them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
Bill: That is such a clever and catchy name! I feel like it doesn't quite fit with the theme though which is super unfortunate.

I also think Creatures of Habitat is brilliant, and am curious as to why you think it doesn't work thematically for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Food chain?
Environs?
Teeming Acres?
Biomes?
Bio Blocks? Bio Plots?
Habi-Tiles? Enviro Squares? Organic Angles? Life Lochs? Any combination of life words and geometry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Stowell
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Creatures of Habitat.

Carcass Zone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also considered Zootopia but there is a game already out there with that name. Trying to avoid that if possible.

Creatures of Habitat is definitely workable as I could write up something like:

"Creatures of a nasty habit of eating creatures smaller than them, your job as a habitat designer is to make the best possible habitat with this nasty habit of those creatures in mind!"

I think it can fit, but in this game you are the designer, whereas the title focuses on the animals.

I could envision a game where each animal has a specific habit(ie. move diagonally, only moves when no other animals near, etc.). And your goal would be to herd animals to different locations by the limitations of these habits. To me "Creatures of Habitat" would be a perfect fit for this envisioned game.

So it fits for my game just not as perfectly as it could Still might end up using it though as it's pretty sweet! I'll have to throw it by the people that have played my game to see what they think!

haha, love Carcass Zone also btw

Thanks for the many other suggestions as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jette Fire
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landscape!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If my game was a tile laying shop keeping game I would call it Mercan-tiles.

Anywho, how about Savanna? Expansia? Acres of Animals?

Sorry, I like silly names!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jette Fire
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Habitat for Animality

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Taiga Tiles (although some people may think you have an unusual accent and actually mean Tiger Tails).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.