Subject: Fool's Mate in Paris rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if anyone's picked up on this yet; discovered during playtesting: West is so far behind in Industrial that they're tempted to hold off building units. The Axis army, with some minimal unit builds, can take advantage of this, given at least two action seasons. Axis takes Belgium, giving it a broader pathway to Paris, then in the second season, hits Paris. If the West hasn't built anything, Axis can usually take Paris in two seasons. Fool's Mate.

The key: West doesn't build units in Paris. And thus, the counter: West builds units in Paris.

Just don't tell the other guys, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And then what?

No one knows what you're building until you reveal your strategy and fight. So why not build a 'Sea Lion' force in the first three years for an aggressive early stab at London and take Paris later for the win. Sure, without Lv tech you can only land one land unit a turn on the lower half of England but you can also land in the north too. If embattled they cannot produce units and so the French fortresses most assuredly built in France are useless because they can't be shipped across the channel.

Everyone knows how the war played out, in my limited experience with the game so far I think players try too hard to hedge their position against what historically happens. It's in the Fascists interest to mix it up, most particularly because they get picked on, again because of hindsight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
So why not build a 'Sea Lion' force in the first three years for an aggressive early stab at London and take Paris later for the win.

The Plan is Blown - if one of the Rivals counter with the Agent Tech Wildcard to inspect the Axis(Ruhr?) area in first or second year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
I havent played yet so forgive me if this is wrong but:

If Germany builds naval units to protect an invasion force to Britain, isn't the cat out of the bag once multiple blocks start getting placed in sea zones? Or are unrevealed naval blocks placed directly in Getmany and only revealed once they sail or something?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can build naval units in coastal land areas. So, you could have a a stack of Fleets sitting on Berlin for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
That.. Is.. Awesome.

I received my copy on Friday and now in the process of stickering/ reading rules. Will play hopefully later next week, cant wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Furyn wrote:
You can build naval units in coastal land areas. So, you could have a a stack of Fleets sitting on Berlin for example.

The only place you can build naval units is a coastal land area in fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WonderCinz wrote:
Furyn wrote:

The only place you can build naval units is a coastal land area in fact.

Yes, quite right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long do people usually build up before attacking? I am trying to plan a blitz into Russia my next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Military Buildup
Well, it takes until 1938 to build 4cv units . . . (and your IND and Diplomacy will suffer if you do a lot of military early).

Craig

PS: "Usually" is not as useful a term in T&T as you might think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmeista wrote:
How long do people usually build up before attacking? I am trying to plan a blitz into Russia my next game.

Or BE CRAZY and just do a total German defense buildup early. Grab neutrals (not Norway or Finland, leave pathway for West vs Reds) but play the wait and see game on the rivals. The game is a sandbox!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've given this some thought, and IN THEORY, it seems like the Axis should have the best chance in a no-war game, because their lack of resources just doesn't matter then.

Of course, if you try to do it, either the West or the Soviets (or both) will likely declare war on you as the obvious countermove. But that, in itself, has certain advantages. I'm sure it must have been tried in playtest - can anyone comment on how it worked out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
I've given this some thought, and IN THEORY, it seems like the Axis should have the best chance in a no-war game, because their lack of resources just doesn't matter then. Of course, if you try to do it, either the West or the Soviets (or both) will likely declare war on you as the obvious countermove. But that, in itself, has certain advantages. I'm sure it must have been tried in playtest - can anyone comment on how it worked out?
If the Axis is pulling ahead prior to DoW, the temptation becomes overwhelming to pop their balloon. The opponents don't even have to attack: just the DoW hits the RES "button" on the Axis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Timmerman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gotten a chance to play my copy yet but these conversations are making it hard to wait.

I love that this game has the flexibility for almost any scenario to unfold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
it seems like the Axis should have the best chance in a no-war game...I'm sure it must have been tried in playtest - can anyone comment on how it worked out?

I was a playtester for TnT and did use the total Axis defense tactic a few times. IMO, it works very well since on the big board you are stuck between the Reds and the Blues(with a big Green Wave coming in the late game). So if neutrals don't fall correctly for the axis quick AV(capturing 2 capitals), just turtle up and keep urging the Reds that the West will be the biggest problem in the late game.

So as I found out thru play, games will usually drag to the full ten turns and then it just a VP/peace dividend check for the winner. I believe this might be the only flaw of the game and hence might need some house rules if players keep finding that all their games keep going full term and just a VP check. (I'll post my ideas/rules in variants section)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.