BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games as a reflection of who you are rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are trying come up with a workshop using games to help people understand themselves better. The target audience are actually non or casual gamers.

For example, there are some games that require negotiation skills such as Sheriff of Nottingham. Different personalities show up and make for a very interesting character study.

Likewise, coop games also reveal different behavioral patterns. Some people tend to behave like a hero while others are happy just to follow.

Would appreciate all ideas and suggestions on what games are suitable for getting people to have a greater self awareness of themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most obvious one is The Resistance or One Night Ultimate Werewolf

There's also always Diplomacy devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Shanks
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Obvious co-op games such as Pandemic or Forbidden Island.

Less obvious would be Valley of the Kings. I feel like this game can get quite mean with trashing cards that somebody might need. Additionally, it can show a willingness to sacrifice short-term goals for long-term payout and show if someone is willing to plan ahead.

There are some others, I'm sure where you can work the same logic in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits & Wagers is often great with non-gamers and may show things about how willing people are to take risks, how good they are at estimating, how confident they are (do they bet on their own guess?). Some of the questions may be US-centric, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say Anything will give you a feel for what people think on topics. You could even manipulate the game to ask questions more specific to your group.

Pete (thinks it's less cheesy than other similar party games too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Vuokko
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
I has a monocle!
badge
Ah, a brand new monocle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mall of Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many good suggestions given.

Two Rooms and a Boom provides some interesting self-awareness moments as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that high luck/randonmness in games versus low luck/randomness reveals elements that correspond to ones external versus internal locus of control.

Attribution theory has long posited that people tend to consider success due to their own skill and failure to bad luck. Playing games with a high luck factor (heavy dice games for instance) can bring up issues of being "unlucky" for some people.

It's been one of the most interesting effects to watch in myself since I started gaming heavily and definitely impacts my mood and demeanor during certain types of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't it your own Hartley who said "Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays."? Almost right, actually you reveal yourselves best in how you play. - Q

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Two Rooms and a Boom. Any social deduction game where bluffing is involved is a good choice, be it this game, or Resistance, Coup, Sheriff of Nottingham, etc.

A good pure negotiation game is Lifeboats.

Push-your-luck games are good at revealing a person's resolve to take chances in general. This is especially true with "dice" games like Las Vegas, Martian Dice, Incan Gold.

Auction games might reveal how different people ascribe differing amounts of value to things (relative value), which could reveal how much people are willing to spend for certain things. A simple game for this might be For Sale.

If all else fails, you can always test people's propriety levels by having them play Cards Against Humanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure Two Rooms and a Boom would be very revealing of a person's personality, since it's pretty superficial, but we always play with over 15 people. It's not terribly introspective.

If you use social games, I would make sure to give a questionnaire afterwards to people could reflect on the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well some games will show trends but where or how do you draw a line from personality to strategy?

Splendor - may show trends on focused or overarching views if they watch their own plays or everyone's turn.
Pictionary - direct point, or setting first
Scattergories - creativity interpretation crossing with vocab
Small World - most or just more than

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The suggestions are great! Please keep them coming!

Let me probe a little deeper.

Have you ever played a game with someone new and then from the way that person played, you kinda gathered the personality of that person and you were pretty spot on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy, Dixit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
angatheart wrote:

Have you ever played a game with someone new and then from the way that person played, you kinda gathered the personality of that person and you were pretty spot on?

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree that what a person does when playing games is necessarily a reflection of their personality (this kinda falls under the fundamental attribution error https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_attribution_error ).
I'm not saying they're entirely unrelated, but behaviour changes greatly depending on context, and the context of playing a game would be a heavy influence indeed. It might be okay as an introspective tool, but I would hesitate attributing aggressive gameplay (for example) to an aggressive personality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think bluffing games are great for this. The whole point of those games is to present a false appearance to misdirect others. Thus, I would not include Sheriff of Nottingham, Resistance, Werewolf, Coup, etc. I guess there could be a meta-analysis about the way people bluff (a nice word for lying), but within the defined social construct of a bluffing game, behavior that is normally considered socially inappropriate (lying) is the whole point of the thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.