4 Posts

Triumph & Tragedy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Revealing secret techs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattias G.
Sweden
flag msg tools
This saturday I finally got to play this game. Me and my opponents had a good time. There was one thing however that I was unsure of: When teching during the government phase, why would you ever reveal the tech instantly? We didn't tech much, but I put both my techs in the secret vault at first, and just before adjusting handsize I would reveal the tech and thus keeping my larger handsize limit. Seems legal from the rules but very gamey.

Rules say "reveal any time". Am I missing something? Perhaps it should read "reveal any time during seasons"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArsMatteus wrote:
but I put both my techs in the secret vault at first, and just before adjusting handsize I would reveal the tech and thus keeping my larger handsize limit. Seems legal from the rules but very gamey.

For what it's worth, that seems fine to me. Personally I would keep everything in the vault until you have to reveal it to keep from crippling your hand-size. Some of the defensive technologies might be an exception, if you wan to demonstrate to your rivals that you are a peace-loving people who are clearly not planning to drop an atomic bomb on their nation's capitol. Not like that other player--he's probably working on that right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArsMatteus wrote:
There was one thing however that I was unsure of: When teching during the government phase, why would you ever reveal the tech instantly?
Seems legal from the rules but very gamey.
Rules say "reveal any time". Am I missing something? Perhaps it should read "reveal any time during seasons"?

Your understanding is correct; it is "any time". Reasons why to hide? If another player has the tech, maybe not worth hiding. Maybe you want the opponents to know, a show. Maybe there's no point in reducing hand size until you must. There's some psychology, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias G.
Sweden
flag msg tools
scouterpmphx wrote:
ArsMatteus wrote:
There was one thing however that I was unsure of: When teching during the government phase, why would you ever reveal the tech instantly?
Seems legal from the rules but very gamey.

Your understanding is correct; it is "any time". Reasons why to hide? If another player has the tech, maybe not worth hiding. Maybe you want the opponents to know, a show. Maybe there's no point in reducing hand size until you must. There's some psychology, too.

Reasons to hide are protection from Industrial Espionage(?) and of course keeping it secret as long as possible. Generally, the less other rivals know the better - there are of course rare exceptions like you say. Always keep it a surprise if possible, but reveal in discard to handsize phase if you need to keep that many cards. It doesn't really require planning.

But then again, I've only played once, and playing more might show other reasons to instantly reveal tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.