Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Brent
United States
San Tan Valley
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering what thoughts others may have on leaving "other than positive" (read Neutral in my case) Ebay feedback for poor packaging.

When I order a "New" or "Mint" copy of a game, I expect it to be packaged in such a way as to protect the game from the ravages of the post office.

2 of my last 3 games I've ordered on Ebay were NOT well packaged at all. One seller taped the box closed with cellophane packing tape and just wrapped it in brown paper and sent it. Could have easily been crushed as many of my parcels are when they arrive on my doorstep. And it took the better part of an hour to carefully remove the packing tape (and residue) from the game box without tearing it.

Another put a brand new (in shrink) game in a bubble envelope and sent it. It also could have been easily crushed...

I lucked out in both cases (though there was some liberal application of the term "mint" in the first instance which also led to the "Neutral" feedback). Maybe I'm being too picky...I don't know... I just feel if I'm paying a premium for a new item, I want it packaged in such a way that it's reasonably well protected.

The VAST majority of games I order come professionally packed and very well protected. These 2 instances are recent and I hope not a trend.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very reasonable to me to leave less than stellar feedback in those cases... Else those sellers will never learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go full bore and leave them "negative" feedback. From your description of their carelessness and less than accurate descriptions, they deserve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
SOLITAIRE
badge
WARGAMER
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you are rating the seller on several points, among them did the game arrive in the advertised condition; speediness of shipping; communication with seller; etc. If you feel that the seller still deserves a positive rating OVERALL, you could site the poor quality packaging in the feedback.

From my experience, I find that the BGG sellers go out of their way to package games well, for the most part. I find this less so on eBay. I have received packages with a couple of strips of tap across the end of an unsealed box with loose, unbagged contents rolling around inside (and, in some cases, outside) the game box -- very little effort at loss-prevention of components. I suspect the well-packaged eBay sellers are BGG community members and know the expectations of their buyers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game was undamaged in transit, I'd say no harm is no foul on the packaging score. Just avoid those sellers in the future and maybe don't leave feedback or, as was suggested, leave positive feedback with a note about the packing. On the other stuff, it sounds like your beef is legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it depends on the situation. Regardless, I would let them know that you had a concern ... it's just a matter of how you do it.

As a rule of thumb I would always give the seller an opportunity to correct the problem ... If something was mangled make sure to contact them and see if they will make you whole in some way. I would avoid giving someone like this a bad review if they fix the situation to your satisfaction because things happen. In this case there is nothing to correct other than change their behavior in the future so this is a little trickier.

If they have had a number of mixed or negative reviews in the past or a similar issue in the past, I would leave them a negative review. Obviously they have not learned or don't care so warn others.

If they have had a lot of positive reviews in the past but a few negative reviews ... In the comments give them kudos for the good and leave the feedback as to why you are neutral (I.e. It worked out but it may not for you Mr next buyer).

If they never had a bad review or perhaps one or two for things they could not control send them a message directly and let them know your concern. This warns them that they need to be a bit more careful to continue getting good reviews.

I've a perfect rating on eBay which I think is a bit of luck (cause things can happen) but part of it is a comittment to doing right. Therefore I suggest folks give the buyer an opportunity to fix a problem before nuking them. I have had two complaints with well over 200 transactions (mostly things other than games).

One was a mistake I made which apologized for. I offered to reverse the charges and I would pay for the return shipment or I could fix the problem on my dime. They took the fix which made them 100% whole.

One was an issue which may have happened during transit. I promptly apologized and offered a full refund no questions asked. The buyer did not take me up on a refund but I would have preferred that they did rather than have been unhappy with the transaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who sells on Ebay, there is no excuse for just wrapping a an item in brown paper and sending it. That to me is worth a neutral. If the item came damaged as a result it's worth a negative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Brent
United States
San Tan Valley
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that I've NEVER had a problem with any BGG seller. Everyone on this site seems to understand how to properly package a collectible game. So kudos to everyone I've bought from on the Geek Market.

Also there was one instance where a game arrived damaged even though it was double boxed. It was one of the GMT Panzer Expansions and it looked as though someone used it for javelin practice or it was gored by a bull or something (who knows what happens at the USPS?).

Anyway, I called and they immediately sent out a replacement and took it upon themselves to deal with the USPS claims dept. Needless to say they got positive feedback and a comment about their commitment to stellar service!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy camera lenses on eBay and I am careful to contact each seller immediately to explain my packaging requirements, and also to offer additional payment if their shipping quote is low. I always keep a copy of the emails. This has saved me a couple of times when idiots did not pack properly. The important thing is to be proactive and specify exactly how you want the item sent,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.