Matt Kindt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any suggestion would be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Samurai is a good gateway game for abstract lovers. It's been out of print for a while, but FFG is doing a reprint right now and it looks really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Miller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paperback is a fun word-building game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Came here to say Paperback. Great gateway game. We picked it up last week and it instantly became the families number one game. Our kids have very different tastes and this game clicked for everyone. Replay-ability seems high so it might remain a favorite for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kindt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll try those and get back to you! Played Saumrai and GenCon and loved it -- didn't realize that was the same game I'd been playing on my phone for a year until part-way through the demo! Beautiful looking new printing they've made...it's on my list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Scott
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Word on the Street is a deceivingly fun word game for casual gamers and avid gamers alike, says I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paperback was my first thought too, so +1 for that! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation would be that you spend some time playing Backgammon with them before even thinking about introducing something else. It's a great game, every bit as good as the other things you might introduce, and not everyone wants to acquire our addiction. Once you've established a good gaming rapport where you've played together a number of times, talking about other cool games you play will follow naturally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Graves
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Carcasonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quiddler (card game that's kinda like a cross between Rummy and Scrabble)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kindt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! Ordered Paperback -- that seemed most appealing to me but in line with what she'd like. Quiddler seems like a perfect blend of Rummy and Words w/ Friends...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to try Patchwork, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always find gateway games difficult to suggest because what originally drew me into these games was the vastly different experiences they offered compared to what I had played before.

I'd go with a weird theme like mushroom collecting/eating (Morels) or even like some light fun dexterity games like Coconuts or Click Clack Lumberjack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor. I can get anyone to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lisa01 wrote:
Paperback is a fun word-building game.

+1 on Paperback. My Mother-in-law is a big fan of scrabble and words with friends so we bought her this for her birthday and she can't play it enough. After playing it with her a few times I am really considering picking up a copy for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evn Tomeny
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
How about Hive or Hanabi (I'm thinking of the Rummikub similarity)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of GIPF Project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Qwirkle
+1 Samurai
Ticket to Ride could be fun (set collection)
Archaeology: The Card Game - easy set collection card game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The people that I know that liked Rummikub, also liked the card game Hearts, which you can play with a simple deck of cards, though you do need at least 3 players. Hearts is simpler than Rummikub though, but more mean and interactive. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Qwirkle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
My recommendation would be that you spend some time playing Backgammon with them before even thinking about introducing something else.

Yes, Backgammon is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Panferov
msg tools
designer
Dear abstract lover, I have an abstract game for you, that will make you forget even your beloved Backgammon.
Siberian Dice
Board + dice, abstract strategy + random component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be to find out why they only like those games. Rummikub and Backgammon are well established games so they may have grown up playing them in the family. Words with Friends main appeal is asynchronous play your phone or Facebook. That's the type of game that scratches an entirely different itch.

Could be this individual is happy with the familiar and views "board games" as either Monopoly (and it's kin) or complicated war games with miniatures. Something niche with a theme (fantasy and/or sci-fi) that doesn't appeal to them.

This isn't that uncommon with those that simply don't know the depth and diversity of our hobby. Speaking to them about the specific reasons they are hesitant to try something else, will help you select a game that puts those fears to rest. Once they have one success, they will be more open to exploring other possibilities.

My girlfriend was hesitant to play board games because in her mind they were like Risk or Monopoly. And she was worried about not understanding a rule and/or making a "stupid" mistake. That anxiety got in the way.

So one of the first games we played in a group was a co-op (Pandemic). The fact that we were a team, working together against the game, really helped her relax and enjoy the experience.

Find out what they don't like, as well as what they do like, and then we can help recommend a better fit for a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilma Mizanoski
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
You would love "Meazy N More" a dice game where players make different color to number combinations with 6 dice of 6 different colors. You can play with 4 players with one game or 5-8 players with 2 games. Everyone plays at once and pass dice with each play...so much fun! Game has 4 different games to play and more games are available on Zano Games website. If you like Rummikub and Backgammon you will love this game!
Check out on Amazon....has all 5 star reviews!!! Quality game!

Also if you like Words With Friends you should check out Zano Games new word game...."Extractor Word Game". It comes in a compact portable bag and is magnetic. On one side you can play "Extractor" and the other flip side you can play "Express*O"...so you are actually getting 2 games in one. Express*O can also be played as a solitaire game otherwise games are for 2-4 players. Check out on Amazon for more info. Quality components in this game and extra large tiles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.