Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game» Forums » General

Subject: Similarity between these 2 games... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day.
After watching some tutorial videos plus JPlay series of the game, I immediately feel the whole game plays similar to the following game:

Adventure of D
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/53840/adventure-d

Don't get me wrong. GoK looks great, not to mention the gorgeous artwork.
But I wish to know if anyone here has ever play Adventure of D before? Any thoughts / ideas / comparisons / comments would be great between these 2 games. I wish to learn more about these 2 games, game designs, from you guys meeple

Happy gaming~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played it, but I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played AoD but have recently played Dungeon Of D, one of his free games.

It's awesome! Very clever mechanics, lots of fun, and very difficult. I suspect that his other game designs are as cool, if not cooler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
JPN38 wrote:
I haven't played AoD but have recently played Dungeon Of D, one of his free games.

It's awesome! Very clever mechanics, lots of fun, and very difficult. I suspect that his other game designs are as cool, if not cooler.

Can you give us a short synopsis of how DoD plays?
Goals/victory conditions, what mechanics are used, typical turn, etc.?
Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could give more detail, but I really recommend watching the playthrough videos by Wilson.

Part 1. https://boardgamegeek.com/video/47016/dungeon-d/dungeon-d-pa...

Part 2. https://boardgamegeek.com/video/47895/dungeon-d/dungeon-d-pa...

If you still have questions after watching these, I'd be happy to answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the DoD play-through. Will watch it shortly.
By the way, If I'm not mistaken, here's some points about AoD compared to GoK:

1) AoD doesn't have personal objective, or Saga.
2) AoD uses multi purpose card design, so instead of several separate decks, AoD only has a deck or 2 where each card can be used differently. So AoD's footprint is just 1 tuck box of cards. Of course, this may induce some over-crowded information for certain players...
3) AoD doesn't have timer like GoK has, where each location falls into gloom gradually.
4) AoD has several fixed characters instead of GoK's Race / Class combination mechanics.
5) ...

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Feel free to comment.

By the way, will GoK expand on more races / classes any future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Dickson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played it however rahdo had done through of it in the past, could clear up some comparisons

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/34143/adventure-d/rahdo-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, you are right, I totally forget about Rahdo's play-through of AoD.
I'd watch it before
Thanks for the link, Rayz2112.
Maybe Rahdo should play and review GoK as well laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Dickson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jupiter999 wrote:
I'd watch it before

Would be good to see rahdo's opinion on this one too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rayz2112 wrote:
jupiter999 wrote:
I'd watch it before

Would be good to see rahdo's opinion on this one too

I'm afraid Rahdo passed on Gloom of Kilforth guys. But we've got Ricky Royal and NVS Gameplays on the case, and Joystickz has already uploaded his videos:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Dickson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricky royal and nvs are definitely good substitutes lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rayz2112 wrote:

I've played both a couple of years ago, so I'm fuzzy on the details. On a high level they have similarities: they're fantasy games where you take on a quest to take down a boss monster, but before you can handle that you must travel around a world build of randomized location cards placed in a grid and improve your character and gather loot.

The mechanics are different though and they're on completely different complexity levels. AoD is light and quick, while GoK is much more complex and takes longer to play. This difference makes them completely different games to me. They both good at what they do, but for me they're not in any way interchangeable.

Oh, and then there's the slight difference in art styles .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
The mechanics are different though and they're on completely different complexity levels. AoD is light and quick, while GoK is much more complex and takes longer to play. This difference makes them completely different games to me. They both good at what they do, but for me they're not in any way interchangeable.

Agree on your points. If I remember correctly, AoD doesn't have timer mechanics, so you can fight the final boss any time you are ready. But not for GoK. Correct me if I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jupiter999 wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Agree on your points. If I remember correctly, AoD doesn't have timer mechanics, so you can fight the final boss any time you are ready. But not for GoK. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hmmm... Not sure about the timer. I don't remember a specific timer mechanism, but I seem to remember that there's something stopping you from powering up indefinitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like I need to give Adventure of D a go sometime! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

You should, because GoK reminds me of AoD immediately when I'm watching JPlay series. Definitely go check out AoD laugh
Both games shine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rayz2112 wrote:

A Result.... Looking forward to these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jupiter999 wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

You should, because GoK reminds me of AoD immediately when I'm watching JPlay series. Definitely go check out AoD laugh
Both games shine!

Added to wishlist, thanks. Someday!

Boom04 wrote:
Rayz2112 wrote:

A Result.... Looking forward to these.

Me too sir, me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Austin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
jupiter999 wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Hmmm... Not sure about the timer. I don't remember a specific timer mechanism, but I seem to remember that there's something stopping you from powering up indefinitely.

If you play AoD solo there is a timer in the form of small deck of cards representing the number of turns you have to beat the final boss.

I have played both a fair amount (always solo) and see some similarity. They both have a randomly generated map of cards. They both have random encounters at map locations. Both allow you to level up attributes and abilities of your character. The main difference with AoD is that instead of action points you have a hand of random power cards that are used for their power level and type to perform various tests and combat. AoD also doesn't have anything like the Saga system.

Also tone and art styles are very different as already noted .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagaren wrote:
If you play AoD solo there is a timer in the form of small deck of cards representing the number of turns you have to beat the final boss.

I have played both a fair amount (always solo) and see some similarity. They both have a randomly generated map of cards. They both have random encounters at map locations. Both allow you to level up attributes and abilities of your character. The main difference with AoD is that instead of action points you have a hand of random power cards that are used for their power level and type to perform various tests and combat. AoD also doesn't have anything like the Saga system.

Also tone and art styles are very different as already noted .

Cool~ Also GoK is more on darker, serious tone, while AoD is more on casual experience, imho meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.