Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A question and some interesting statistics:

If you wanted to call smoke onto your own position...would a "0" range be an automatic hit?

Here are the ranges and (rounded) percent chance that you'll hit for each one:

90% Hit 3
80% Hit 4
70% Hit 6
60% Hit 8
50% Hit 10
40% Hit 12
30% Hit 15
20% Hit 20
10% Hit 24

Note that the LONGEST range possible without an SSR is 26. That would be from one corner of the map to the other and through a "10" smoke! Given that, you always have at least a 1 in 12 (8.3%) chance of getting a hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
huffman123 wrote:
If you wanted to call smoke onto your own position...would a "0" range be an automatic hit?

No, because a 1/1 is an automatic miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
huffman123 wrote:

Where is that in the rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
jaysachs wrote:
huffman123 wrote:

It's a too-literal reading of the example

Quote:
So a Targeting Roll of 1∙6 (total of “6”) misses at range 6 or more, and will hit if the range is 5 or less. A Targeting Roll of 6∙6 is
“36” and will hit anything, while a roll of 1∙1 is “1” and will miss everything.

But that's just elaborating on the actual rule. So yeah, a 0 range would be an automatic hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
jaysachs wrote:
huffman123 wrote:

David, I think that he is referring to:

O20.2.3 Targeting Roll
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.”
—Winston Churchill
Once the range is determined, the active player must make a die roll – but multiplying the two dice together rather than adding them together as with other rolls – that is greater than the range in order to hit the targeted hex. Any other result is a miss and the attack is cancelled with no further effect.

So a Targeting Roll of 1∙6 (total of “6”)
misses at range 6 or more, and will hit if the range is 5 or less. A Targeting Roll of 6∙6 is “36” and will hit anything, while a roll of 1∙1 is “1” and will miss everything.

The reason why I'm asking is because the rules and the example seem to contradict each other.

Paul: Note the word "rounded" above whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
huffman123 wrote:

This has been answered here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/2375430#2375430

Chad Jensen wrote:
Yes, you may place an SR into the same hex as the spotter ("any hex within LOS" -- you can obviously see your own feet). The range would be 0, and therefore automatically accurate (though with the attendant minor drift). This is all covered in the first sentences of O18.2.1 and O18.2.2.

Quote:
However to check the LOS you have to draw a string from one center point of the sighting hex to the center point of the target hex. But if they are the same points I can't draw a string

I see your smilie face at the end of this statement but let me state the following anyway so that it is absolutely clear to everyone: stretching a string between center dots isn't a requirement to having a clear LOS, merely a tool for determining LOS when it isn't obvious at a glance.

The example assumes wrongly that range is always at least 1.

Range would not be 0 is there is smoke in the target (same) hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bart, thanks.

I wasn't diligent enough. I'm not surprised that it was already answered!

This community is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
huffman123 wrote:

This has been answered here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/2375430#2375430

Chad Jensen wrote:
Yes, you may place an SR into the same hex as the spotter ("any hex within LOS" -- you can obviously see your own feet). The range would be 0, and therefore automatically accurate (though with the attendant minor drift). This is all covered in the first sentences of O18.2.1 and O18.2.2.

Quote:
However to check the LOS you have to draw a string from one center point of the sighting hex to the center point of the target hex. But if they are the same points I can't draw a string

I see your smilie face at the end of this statement but let me state the following anyway so that it is absolutely clear to everyone: stretching a string between center dots isn't a requirement to having a clear LOS, merely a tool for determining LOS when it isn't obvious at a glance.

The example assumes wrongly that range is always at least 1.

Range would not be 0 is there is smoke in the target (same) hex.

One other thing...Chad didn't mention it in the referenced thread, but I believe even if the range is 0 the targeting roll still needs to be made as triggers could still occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
One other thing...Chad didn't mention it in the referenced thread, but I believe even if the range is 0 the targeting roll still needs to be made as triggers could still occur.

That's no different from making the attack roll even if you are guaranteed to hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.