Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others, we noticed it's kind of hard to read the costs on the board once an hourglass piece is placed on the location. I looked around and found Ashland Decorative Filler glass beads (or gems) at Michaels. These are meant to fill glass jars, etc for home decor, but are the same thing as what as included in the game--just glass. Because they are glass, they're a little more clear to see through. I chose to use the clear ones as they are that much more clear. A second benefit it they are a little more substantial feeling.

I haven't played a game with them yet, but just throwing them on the board, they seem a bit easier to see through. For $2.99 it's not a big investment, and there's enough in the bag to cherry-pick the best 30 and have enough to still use them for the intended purpose, or pimp out another 3 or so WoS games.

The blue & clear Michaels stones.

Comparing the stock (KS) stones on the left vs the Michaels stone above on the right.

The tag from the packaging. They all seem to use the same one, but this will point you to what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally was able to play a game with these glass stones. There was no improvement in visibility in the end. There was a nice tactile upgrade--just felt a little nicer to be moving the heavier glass pieces around, but we still couldn't see the numbers & had to move the stones to see.

On to plan B. I'm going to look into acrylic half-domes I ran across in my first searches. Maybe not as thematic, but they should make the numbers visible in game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
I finally was able to play a game with these glass stones. There was no improvement in visibility in the end. There was a nice tactile upgrade--just felt a little nicer to be moving the heavier glass pieces around, but we still couldn't see the numbers & had to move the stones to see.

On to plan B. I'm going to look into acrylic half-domes I ran across in my first searches. Maybe not as thematic, but they should make the numbers visible in game play.

Why do you need to see the number after the hourglass is in play. Doesn't the placement of the hourglass remove that spot from play? Thus no more need for the number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skritter wrote:
claudermilk wrote:

Why do you need to see the number after the hourglass is in play. Doesn't the placement of the hourglass remove that spot from play? Thus no more need for the number.

Removing an hourglass is only a single action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skritter wrote:
claudermilk wrote:

Except to determine if you want to try and move there, remove it, and make a purchase or sale. The spaces' value is still relevant.

I've continued my searching and have located some better-looking possibilities online that don't look too expensive. When I changed my search keywords to "20mm clear round cabochon" I got much better hits. I'm now getting greedy & seeing if I can find some pale blue ones to keep the feel of the base pieces.

I'm also narrowing down reasonable options for metal coins. There's lots of really expensive, nice-looking stuff out there--but I'm not going to spend as much on replacement parts as I did on the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Krakoff
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered 3 packs of these to replace the plastic coins. When I get them I give them a review.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1062403391?campaign_label=s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

I've been looking at that EXACT listing...but for additional cogs for my Steampunk Rally game (ran out in an 8-player session). They are nice bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered these:

Coins: http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-pcs-Antiqued-gold-crafted-coin-ch.... I contacted the seller with a couple of questions on these. They are the same on both faces & all are drilled. For $5 it's worth a try.

Hourglasses: https://www.etsy.com/listing/199080298/20-clear-glass-caboch.... There's a number of listings of similar clear glass cabochons. All the blue ones I was able to turn up in searches were not translucent, so I gave up & went with clear.

For coins I was also looking at these:
http://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=MetalLiraCoi...
http://www.musedfable.com/?q=node/37

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate F
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS... USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE."
mbmbmbmbmb
After our first game, my GF and I disliked how the otherwise-pretty hourglass markers obscured the Ether locations. After a bunch of searching, we found these:
http://www.rings-things.com/Products/Gears-Sprockets-and-Mac...

I think they will look good, marking the spaces without obscuring them.

We decided the copper looked best but there are a number of other finish and shape options. Check them out here:
http://www.rings-things.com/Products/Gears-Sprockets-and-Mac...=

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The coins came in over the weekend. I have not had a chance to pull them from their plastic bag or take pictures, but they do look nice. I think they were worth the $5 gamble on first impressions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a quick comparison photo. Individually, they are a little lighter than anticipated, but they are a nice improvement over the small plastic coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hendon

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmb
We just shift the stones aside quick to look. Also, after a few games, you sort of just know where the ethers and numbers are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally broke the game out again after the parts arrived. Here's a couple of pictures of the glass cabochons in play. They do help with visibility as we never felt the need to do the shift-to-check-values move.

The second one is comparing the craft store glass beads I tried. In person visibility is harder than the photo makes it look.

The metal coins added to the experience. I just liked the better tactile feel of them, and the clinking as you gained/spend coins was nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.