Popular Tags: [View All]
James McHaffey
United States
Rancho Santa Fe
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Why do you let trades expire? I've noticed that about 60-70% of my trade offers expire rather than accept or decline. To me, that's an appallingly high rate of apathy. I just recently offered a trade to acquaintance i.e. we've gamed multiple times, always say hi to each other at the annual con, and even had a beer yet he's logged on multiple times since the trade offer and just let it expire...
I don't actually read any of my GeekMail.
You're offer was so insulting, it didn't even merit a response.
I'm too lazy to click decline. I'd rather just let the system do it for me in 3 days...
I read your offer, am extremely non-committal, so I did nothing, thinking I'd revisit it later, but then I forgot. I'm also too apathetic to apologize that I left you hanging for 3 days.
I read your offer, but was subsequently trapped under a large bookcase for 72 hours, and someone else accepted a trade offer for the same game, during the time it took me to escape.
What's a BGG trade offer???
      96 answers
Poll created by heinz_guderian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I never offer a trade out of the blue through the trade proposal system. Instead, I'll send a geekmail out to make contact and discuss the conditions of the games and the desire to trade. Only after someone agrees to trade will I send the proposal.

Some people (not me) look at unsolicited proposals as rude. And that can be doubly so if someone proposes a trade that is lopsided (I'll give you Pit in exchange for Roads & Boats). So refusing to answer is the passive/aggressive punishment for rudeness.

But the major benefit to me is that I never have trade proposals hanging. In fact, if there are two or three people with potential trades I'd like to make, I contact all of them by geekmail. As soon as one gets back to me, I can make the trade. If I did the proposal, I'd have to wait three days before moving on to the next trade. Forget that noise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had anyone offer a trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I read geekmail once a month or two, if I remember. Sometimes rather less often. You sent me a trade offer anyway? Clearly you didn't read my profile stating that I don't do non-local trades. But that's Okay, I didn't read your trade offer either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried sending geekmails first? Many people prefer that over directly offering a trade. It's also really in your best interest to do that. If you send a trade, you're committing to that trade, and if you back out after offering the trade, you're reneging. By sending a geekmail first, you can find out details like edition, condition, language, etc., that may not be apparent in the trade finder.

Ex: I recently had someone send me a trade offer for Tigris & Euphrates. My copy is the old Mayfair edition with the one-sided board. I thought there was a good chance the person actually wants the newer Fantasy Flight edition, so I made sure they knew which one I had. They decided they didn't want it after all. Technically, they could have been on the hook for that trade, but they would have been unpleasantly surprised at what they received. Better to work that stuff out beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check people's trade feedback - if you don't see recent completed trades, allow for a slow or possibly no response.

Negotiate via geekmail - finalize via trade request. This way, you don't tie up your games in a pending trade.

Don't take ignores personally - responding to trades generally isn't someone's highest priority in life. It's just like dating, there are more traders in the sea (or something like that - I'm bad at analogies today).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I respond to all offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really seems like it's been less than a month for this type of thread to reappear.

It's supposed to be a month, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most probably it was an edge case of accepting or declining for me or I had a different trade offer for some of the same games at the same time. Then I forgot to reply to you.

However I really try to respond to all offers as rediculous as they may be. Unfortunately I think I never got an offer that was even remotely fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one come in last week. Glimpsed it Friday morning but we went away for the weekend straight after work. So it expired without me even having a chance to think about it much.

Hmmm which was more important... analysing a trade or play testing with Martin Wallace. Gee tough choice devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your proposal is to trade your in-print game that costs $40 retail (not the usual online discount price) for two out of print games that cost $30 each retail when they were in print and are somewhat in demand, I might have just figured it was a joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't know. I always respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you send me a trade request, you're invested in the result of that request. You are doing that effort because you want that trade to happen.

Me, maybe I'm not that interested in the trade you propose. Why should I be obligated to put any effort into something I don't care for?

If you really want a response, make me an offer I can't ignore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
There is an option to extend the number of days before a trade expires.

I usually respond to all trade offers however if something comes in late on a Friday I may have a busy weekend (even though it shows I am logged into the geek (because I never log out)) I may not get a chance to look at it until the Monday evening but which point it has already expired.

I would also check your previous trade history, and what else you have for trade before I consider your offer, especially if it came out of the blue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:

Some people (not me) look at unsolicited proposals as rude. And that can be doubly so if someone proposes a trade that is lopsided (I'll give you Pit in exchange for Roads & Boats). So refusing to answer is the passive/aggressive punishment for rudeness.

It seems bizarre to see a trade offer in itself as rude. If it's perceived as a lopsided offer, then it can be simply declined or negotiated.

Expecting a separate Geekmail first seems unnecessary, when there is a specific system for trading.

When you have put something up for trade and someone makes you an offer, not to respond at all seems rude - particularly if the offer has been read and deliberately ignored.

If the offer expires by accident a Geekmail apologising for the non response would be useful and perhaps asking for a resubmission of the offer if the trade is acceptable.

I like the fact that on Amazon non response (or delayed response) to offers affects a seller's performance rating; this could be useful for trades on BGG if this an issue with some traders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I let trade offers expire, because I see no need to respond. I see it as no more rude than ignoring a telemarketer. You are reaching out to me for an unsolicited trade I see no reason why I need to respond. If you don't like your game being tied up on a trade offer for a few days then you should have sent a geekmail instead of a trade offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion81 wrote:
I let trade offers expire, because I see no need to respond. I see it as no more rude than ignoring a telemarketer. You are reaching out to me for an unsolicited trade I see no reason why I need to respond. If you don't like your game being tied up on a trade offer for a few days then you should have sent a geekmail instead of a trade offer.

I assume these "unsolicited" offers are not for the 21 items you have publicly listed for trade on the site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
Invasion81 wrote:

I assume these "unsolicited" offers are not for the 21 items you have publicly listed for trade on the site?

They are put up there for math trades. So yes, they are unsolicited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:

Expecting a separate Geekmail first seems unnecessary, when there is a specific system for trading.

Maybe so, but I rarely see these type of complaints from people who send the geekmail first and only use the trade manager when the details are negotiated.

Would you rather yell at the rain, or just grab an umbrella?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion81 wrote:
nickbolton wrote:
Invasion81 wrote:

They are put up there for math trades. So yes, they are unsolicited.

That's fair enough - it may be worth adding a comment against these items to explain this.

I would have (wrongly) assumed that if I had something on a person's want in trade list and had something on their to trade list, that a trade would be a possibility or even welcomed.

Even if not, I still think a response to decline would be courteous. BGG community members aren't random telemarketers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I do now is reduce the amount of time to expire a trade from 3 days to 1. My primary reason there is I don't want to make a new offer to someone else until I know the first offer is declined. This way I avoid any situations where two people accept the same offer and I cannot meet it.

Other than that, I try not to take being ignored personally. I'd love it if people did respond, counter offer, etc but they don't. And this, in its own way, is a response. Just not the one I hope for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:

That's fair enough - it may be worth adding a comment against these items to explain this.

I would have (wrongly) assumed that if I had something on a person's want in trade list and had something on their to trade list, that a trade would be a possibility or even welcomed.

Even if not, I still think a response to decline would be courteous. BGG community members aren't random telemarketers.

I'm trying to get better about responding, but I just don't care enough to make sure I decline every time. If I happen to look at it on my phone there is a 90% chance I won't log into my computer to decline. And doing anything but look at the link from my email via phone is annoying. So I don't decline it from my phone because BGG is not mobile friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the people who respond to every trade offer, no matter if it's through the trade tool or through a geekmail. How is someone supposed to know that you have games for trade that are only for a math trade, unless you respond and tell them??

Ignoring it is so much worse/confusing/rude. The offer isn't unsolicited to the person making the trade. You have a game for trade. They want it. They use the tool setup by BGG to facilitate the trade.

If someone offers you a trade for a game not on your trade list, then I suppose I understand that a bit more, but I still am of the mind that the right thing to do to foster goodwill within this excellent community is to respond.

If someone offers me a trade through the trade tool with no other communication at all, I will normally send a quick geekmail and get a bit more information. If I'm not interested, I'll decline (and still send a geekmail telling them why).

This community is so fantastic, but the way many users handle trading is very mystifying to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/995704/tired-no-responses-y...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with people not responding. However, I do wish if people aren't actually looking for trade requests (IE it's on their trade list only for a specific maths trade) that they would label the item as such. Or even better, if there was a simple option on BGG to flag your account as open to trade requests, to filter out people who don't want to trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.