Subject: Reprinting models and sets from SDE 1.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giancarlo Amente
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
...because if I can't win, you can't either! :)
badge
OH...OH...OH....OH...OVERTEXT!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I scoured posts from the last year on SDE and couldn't find and answer. Sorry if I missed something, but will there be new updated models (ie different sculpts) of the original ones, or will they be reprinting the same exact models from the 1.0 SDE sets and base set? I'm relatively new to the game and from my vantage point, the older models look to be in a different sculpting style than the Forgotten King ones. So far I have the Kickstarter Forgotten King stuff from the Always Super level and wanted to know if I should get the original base set, but I wasn't sure on how the reprints were rumored to be happening? I probably won't get it if there will be new sculpts of the original models. Thanks for any information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Reprinting models and sets from SFE 1.0
There is no real information about this...
Only rumors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Amente
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rick. That seemed to be the case but I wanted to confirm. I just got a copy of the original SDE for $50 and can still return it. This information will make my decision easier to make on whether I will keep it or not. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r1sefromru1n wrote:
Thanks Rick. That seemed to be the case but I wanted to confirm. I just got a copy of the original SDE for $50 and can still return it. This information will make my decision easier to make on whether I will keep it or not. Thanks!

I'd keep it. If they start repackaging them they'll likely be more expensive and without new oontent, as including new content would punish longtime fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$50 is a great deal...

If it was me, I would keep it.

If you're good at selling stuff, you could sell Rex and the second kobold warren spawn point to get most or all of your money back.
They are doubles, like the bramble knight spawn point in the forgotten King.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Amente
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Points well taken. Looks like I will be hanging onto the copy of SDE 1.0 then. Just curious since I am new to the game, why does the base set come with two Rex and kolbold warren spawn points if they are doubles? And why would I want to dump them off and potentially sell them? Thanks again for all the great information everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Amente
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK so I guess that means to keep the doubles because they are still usable with Forgotten King now in play? Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said we don't know how they're going to be repackaged but since they've done updated cards for them all and have the molds for the models they will almost certainly pop up again in some form. $50 for the original base game and all the models you get is excellent value so definitely worth keeping. I'm not sure the style is much different personally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Amente
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on the style of sculpts. Now that I've opened up the SDE 1.0 box and built the heroes this morning, I see no real difference in the art style. For some reason they looked different in some of the pictures and that was what I was basing my concerns off of.

Follow up question to people following the thread - is it worth it to pick up the original Caverns of Roxor, or Von Drakk if I can find it? I've heard some people say they aren't worth it for some reason. I noticed that some of the pumpkin patch models that came with my Forgotten King pledge are in the Von Drakk set. Thanks again everyone....really appreciate the conversation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like both, caverns and Von drakk.

Yes, Von drakk will come with a duplicate pumpkin patch.
The old Von drakk box comes with a few rattlebones (the new release does not). They are now creeps, and are included with the ghost house tile set.

Von drakk boxes were selling for double MSRP before the updated box became available. That is probably why you read to not buy it. You shouldn't have to pay inflated prices.

If you haven't played the game yet, you may want to try it before you buy more.

I bought "last night on earth" and 5 or 6 expansions for it, painted all of the models, played it, didn't like it, sold it for less than I paid.
Now I play every game I buy before I purchase an expansion or paint the models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Amente
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More great advice Rick. I think you are right that I need to get it played before committing to buying extras and delving into painting my set. I plan on getting it played with the wife after a busy Labor Day weekend :) Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically Von Drakk is my favourite set. I definitely wouldn't pick it up at an inflated price but if you can get it for around the same price as the newer version do so. Otherwise just go for the new version. You will have a duplicate of the Pumpkin Patch if you backed the KS which personally I don't think is necessary (but at least it's not as terrible as the Salt Pillar using the same models!). Caverns is also a great set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some news came out today:

Super Dungeon Legends Kickstarter

Published by deke, on September 14, 2015. Filed under News Super Dungeon Explore.

Soda Pop Miniatures and Ninja Division Publishing are happy to announce the upcoming Super Dungeon® Legends Kickstarter! This exciting Kickstarter will feature three brand new products in a single pledge: Super Dungeon® Explore: 2nd Edition, The Midnight Tower level expansion, and Super Dungeon® Legends boxed set.

Super Dungeon® Explore: 2nd Edition, brings players the rules from our highly successful Forgotten King expansion, in an all new affordable boxset. The ruleset has been updated to include all of the errata and clarifications from the last year of player feedback, and will continue to be fully playable with all existing cards. Super Dungeon® Explore: 2nd Edition, features new sculpts of the nine classic Heroes, all new kobolds, drakes, Rex the kobold ogre, and Starfire the Ruby Dragon. The classic Dragonback Peaks tiles have been updated and reimagined, featuring all new stunning art, to bring them in line with other 2nd Edition tilesets from Forgotten King, Von Drakk Ghost House, and Dungeons of Crystalia. To further increase replayability, all monsters come with multiple profiles. Battle shadow kobolds from the depths of the Nether Rifts, elemental drakes from the Fire Flows, a mighty armored kobold ogre, among others!

The Midnight Tower level expansion reveals the dreaded armies of The Midnight Queen. Armies of baroque-armored Nether Elves issue forth from the corrupted Tower of the Goddess. Within their ranks, cursed Spider Speakers summon scuttling hordes of spiders, spinning webs of shadow and poisoning their foes. Alongside them march powerful Knights of the Tower on spectral steeds, while Tower Stalkers lurk in the shadows weakening the mightiest Heroes, before their fellows strike the final blow. Three new Heroes take up the call to adventure: the rugged Hearthsworn Tincan, sneaky Cat Burglar, and brutal Riftling Warrior.

Super Dungeon® Legends is the centerpiece of this mighty Super Dungeon® extravaganza. Legends introduces progressive campaign play to Super Dungeon® Explore. Heroes battle through adventures earning crystals to spend on powerful new skills and abilities. Advance in class to unlock even more powerful versions. Dismantle your loot and treasure to craft bizarre and wondrous new items, under the watchful gaze of the Golden Eye of the Goddess. Two new and powerful dice are introduced—Citrine and Amethyst—providing new possibilities to combat. New smaller dungeon rooms and hallways make their debut, increasing the diversity of dungeon layouts. If you have always wanted to roleplay in the world of Super Dungeon®, Legends provides rules for narrative adventures, nonplayer characters, and out-of-combat skills. An all new world guide further expands on the realms, races, monsters, and personalities of Crystalia.

All this and more awaits you in just the starting pledge for Super Dungeon® Legends! As always, we have thought up a wide range of fun and unique stretch goals to further increase the possibilities for your games of Super Dungeon®. Over the next several weeks we will preview content for the upcoming Kickstarter. Be sure to check back every Monday and Thursday so you don’t miss a thing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what I will be getting if anything. I really hope that most of it is available on a ad on basis. I would like the updated map tiles, but I already have the updated cards from the FK kickstarter and I really don't need duplicates of all of the models, different sculpts or not.

I'm interested in the campaign setting, but I haven't even tried out the full co-op game from FK yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwreschnig wrote:
So... to pledge for Legends - which already, as I predicted, was bloated out into a full P&P RPG - I also need to rebuy the whole 1.0 set?

Yeah, no thanks.

I hope not or I will be out as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deft Titan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why this news is rubbing me the wrong way, but I'm not all that enthused. Maybe it's because sodapopstore is using kickstarter for every new project, or maybe it's because I'm still missing bits of my order from the forgotten king kickstarter. Maybe it's because this game, while fun, takes quite a bit of time, has a steep learning curve, and my group doesn't get it out very much. Perhaps it's because I haven't managed to play half the content I already own for this game.

I really DO like the SDE original game, and for the most part, I'm having fun with the Forgotten King version. I have so many characters and heroes though, I just don't know if I need to add anything at this point.

I'll have to wait and see the details of the kickstarter, and the pledge levels before I throw any more money at this. I think I'll have to buy a new closet shelf system too for storage too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeftTitan wrote:
I'm not sure why this news is rubbing me the wrong way, but I'm not all that enthused. Maybe it's because sodapopstore is using kickstarter for every new project

This is only SPM's third KS to be fair which isn't that bad (especially when you compare it to CMON for example). But it's just par for the course with a lot of gaming companies now.

Also concerned that the wording so far suggests that you have to buy in to all three (like the Forgotten King KS with it's single pledge level). As cool as sculpts of new heroes etc. are I already have a fully painted base set and don't wish to have another one. I really hope they'll do the Midnight Tower and Legends as a separate pledge (or pledges). I suspect that there'll be a lot of people stating the same so I hope that they listen!

I find the new rulebook thing amusing with the 'last year of player feedback'! Most of us have only had the game for around 6 months and they were told of several errors with the books before they went to print!

Mitch - can you post the updates here for those of us who don't follow on the SPM webby?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonah,
Mitch's post is the update.

What I am reading between the lines is that they are re-issuing the base game with new cards that will have new powers for the duplicate stuff so that it can be used as completely new stuff for those of us that already have the base game. Therefore making us want the new stuff because it is now different.

Quote from the update:
"To further increase replayability, all monsters come with multiple profiles. Battle shadow kobolds from the depths of the Nether Rifts, elemental drakes from the Fire Flows, a mighty armored kobold ogre, among others!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant the further updates as it says that they'll be posting further updates over the coming weeks.

I get the new game but I hope they don't make it a compulsory part of the KS pledge and have a separate one without it plus upgrade cards for the different levels of monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
I meant the further updates as it says that they'll be posting further updates over the coming weeks.

I get the new game but I hope they don't make it a compulsory part of the KS pledge and have a separate one without it plus upgrade cards for the different levels of monster.

Sorry but dont count on me to post updates. I simply follow SPM on twitter and saw the post yesterday morning and had time to share. If I can, I will, but I dont religiously follow twitter so I might miss some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
Jonah,
Mitch's post is the update.

What I am reading between the lines is that they are re-issuing the base game with new cards that will have new powers for the duplicate stuff so that it can be used as completely new stuff for those of us that already have the base game. Therefore making us want the new stuff because it is now different.

Quote from the update:
"To further increase replayability, all monsters come with multiple profiles. Battle shadow kobolds from the depths of the Nether Rifts, elemental drakes from the Fire Flows, a mighty armored kobold ogre, among others!"

We already have so much stuff though. So many minis to paint, heroes and monsters to play, I will never get through what I have now. (I have everything released)I really dont need more versions of the monsters I already have when I dont feel the need for more monsters period

I really just want the campaign and what I already have to be compatible for the campaign. I'm hoping the campaign streamlines the game some more so play times can come down. Right now the 3 hour game times make it impossible to get to the table for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwreschnig wrote:
snowren24 wrote:
[q="bigblock75"]Jonah,

[q="snowren24"]I'm hoping the campaign streamlines the game some more so play times can come down. Right now the 3 hour game times make it impossible to get to the table for us.

This, I don't know about. I understand but don't really share the desire for a shorter game. I just don't think even more rules is going to do that, especially rules that make it more like a tabletop RPG, a medium where three hours is often considered a short session.

I agree, I don't think it will get shorter, I just would like it to

Something like Imperial Assault or Descent's system.

Ultimately stream lining the rules even more would also make for a quicker game. Somehow SPM takes a dice chucker and makes the rule book akin to reading an physics dissertation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree completely about the models. I like my kobolds and I'm happy that I painted everything from the base game so new ones regardless of whether they're nether version doesn't really have much interest for me as I can just use my current ones with the nether cards.

I don't think the rules are going to get any more streamlined. I don't find the game time too long having played a fair bit now. A three hero game can be done in 60-90 mins but I don't really enjoy playing more than three heroes as I feel it becomes too bloated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:

I'm planning to add notes on their updates this News thread: Super Dungeon Legends and SDE 2nd Ed. Announced
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my only worry is TILES. I dont need all the new minis. I got upgrade cards from Forgotten King already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.