Popular Tags: [View All]
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Source: https://www.facebook.com/SwordAndSorceryBoardGame/posts/7634...

S&S GAMEPLAY - EPISODE V - Soulrank System

The Soulrank identifies the power of the hero’s soul. At the beginning of the first quest, the heroes are awakened from death, but the recall spell was a gift and curse at the same time. Although they cannot completely die, neither can they be completely free. The spell gives them back their strength, while guiding them closer and closer to the goal… defeating the Evil dominating the kingdom.

To represent this, each hero begins the first quest at Soulrank I. During games, he will grow stronger by killing the forces of evil, until one day, many adventures from now, the hero regains all his past glory represented by Soulrank VII.

The Soul gem token determines the main characteristics of the hero, such as:

1. Soulrank. Current Soulrank of the hero.
2. HP. Maximum Health Points.
3. Powers & Talents. Number of powers and talents.
4. Combat. Number of combat activities.
5. Action. Number of action activities.

The two sides of the gem represent the matching hero’s soul nature, identified by the hero’s color, therefore, each side has a different stats progression based on the hero's class.

Seven of the eight facets of the gem are used to keep track of the current Soulrank. Each time a hero needs to modify his Soulrank, rotate the top part of the gem according to these instructions:

- Advancing Soulrank: Rotate the top part of the gem token 45 degrees clockwise (until the next facet is clearly visible).
- Decreasing Soulrank: Rotate the top part of the gem token 45 degrees counterclockwise (until the previous facet is clearly visible).

Each time an enemy is killed, and sometimes during quest progress, some fragments of the soul return to the heroes in the form of soul points.

In game terms, each time the heroes gain soul points they are stored in a shared pool represented by the Soul Point tokens.

Soul points can be spent by any hero during the time phase to enhance his Soulrank by one, discarding the amount indicated by this formula:
Soulrank to be achieved * Soulrank to be achieved. (that means, Soulrank to be achieved multiplied by itself)

This means a hero currently at Soulrank I, who wants to achieve Soulrank II must spent 2 * 2 = 4 soul points. To achieve Soulrank III he must spend 3 * 3 = 9 soul points, etc…

Note: Soul points can also be spent to resurrect a hero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the look of these - such a simple approach to tracking stats - seems so obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I thought, "Why does this fighter have such a sucky melee stat"(i.e. the fist). Then I realized he has a staff and this just must be a very well armored mage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidcoleman wrote:
I love the look of these - such a simple approach to tracking stats - seems so obvious.

Totally agree. Looks great, unique and fleshed out explanation for the mechanic and has great theme too! Very cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
At first I thought, "Why does this fighter have such a sucky melee stat"(i.e. the fist). Then I realized he has a staff and this just must be a very well armored mage.

This is Thorgar, and he's the resident cleric.

Note that the combat stat is the number of "combat activities" allowed; so effectively he can attack once per turn, regardless of level. That's not really indicative of his combat strength, though (that'll depend on the weapons available to him).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep,

Each Combat activity (Red fist) grants toe ability to perform single attack(or activating a power or item that requires so), this is Thorgar the Cleric SoulGem, On the Backside there is the Runemaster version, he has a power that permits to perform an additional attack! This is just an example to say that there are several ways to perform attacks in addition to the natural stats cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
Yep,

Each Combat activity (Red fist) grants toe ability to perform single attack(or activating a power or item that requires so), this is Thorgar the Cleric SoulGem, On the Backside there is the Runemaster version, he has a power that permits to perform an additional attack! This is just an example to say that there are several ways to perform attacks in addition to the natural stats cool

That makes a little more sense than an armored mage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.