Subject: Core set starter decks for beginners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I recently got the game and it says to start playing, pick two factions, add some neutrals and shuffle them up and you should be good to go. All fine and dandy, but from more experienced players perspective - which factions would be best to mix together for the "optimal" balanced experienced.

Or doesn't it really matter?

Just one core set btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the usual advice, mix a human faction with a mythos faction. It's not strictly necessary, but a minor percentage of new players seem to get hung up on losing Terror (none of the human faction have Terror) so avoiding human/human pairings sidesteps this potential snag.

Honestly, it's been so long since I've played with just Core cards it's hard to remember if there were any particularly strong pairings. I can say that two of the specific cards in the Core set that are pretty strong in that environment are Shotgun (Agency) and Ravager from the Deep (Cthulhu). This is still pretty thin though, the odds of drawing two specific 1x cards in your deck, not resourcing either of them, and getting them both into play before the game is over is probably pretty low.

I do find that new players seem to like Cthulhu/Miskatonic thematically though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.