Hide
5 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Introducing a new player to IA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Earls
msg tools
I bought IA recently and have played 2 missions with my girlfriend. I am playing imperial and she is playing 4 rebel characters. We are both new to this kind of game and she seems to get a lot of analysis paralysis when playing. I have been helping her through the missions so far but I am hoping to find some resources to make her a little more comfortable and independent with the game. Any suggestions?

Edit: spelling is hard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Just have her play two characters until she's comfortable with the decisions being made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon rorke
South Africa
Sandton
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend forgetting about the campaign for a while till you can play it with more people.

I think the biggest reason for her AP is just being overwhelmed, even if she uses only 2 heroes there are still the goals to achieve.

You should try the Skirmish Mode with 2 players. While it might seem more imposing with having more units. Not having to worry about what character has what skill or what will happen next in the story would help.

[Edit] Also it skirmish plays in a decent time of an hour or an hour and half. That length means afterwards you can talk about what happened, she could make small changes to her force and take note of what she did wrong rather than now have to focus on character upgrades and new items.

Basically go skirmish there is less bombarding with new information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Meney
Scotland
Larbert
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you get deeper and deeper into the campaign the abilities of the heroes grow. It can be quite overwhelming for a seasoned games to optimise moves each turn controlling all 4 heroes.

I agree that 2 heroes with double activations (legendary) is the way to get started.

Also, skirmish is fantastic to nail down alot of the basics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steel Whisper
Netherlands
Weesp
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play it with someone who knows the game, that always helps.

And maybe it's not her thing. I can't get my wife to play IA, but she loves other games. Beats me with Splendor every time :-)

Or try something like Mice & Mystics first, same kind of game, but much easier and co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.