Subject: "From a pet-free home" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see the description of "from a pet-free home" fairly often, and it made me wonder: has anyone ever actually had an allergic reaction to a previously used game due to animal allergies?

Unless an animal was actively drooling/peeing/rolling around in a game (in which case damage would probably make it unsellable anyway), I wouldn't think the allergens would be in enough abundance to make a difference... then again, I've also never met anyone with an animal allergy with a severity that was similar to, say, a peanut allergy, in which case I certainly COULD see trace contamination possibly causing an issue.

But in any case, people who disclose the presence of pets out of consideration for others is not a problem! meeple

EDIT: I suppose if the house really, really stank of animals, it, like cigarette smoke, might permeate into the cardboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
United Kingdom
Smethwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pet hairs get everywhere. Admittedly, it's probably more an issue with second-hand clothing (or other fabric goods), but it's not unfeasible that a house with multiple cats (for example) could send some stray hairs in a game box, which the recipient may not like much (if they are very allergic or just hate small mammals).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can understand that, but what I mean is, is that amount of incidental cat hair enough to cause an allergic reaction? Or is it equivalent to getting a box that has some dust in it, and you can just wipe it off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mashpotassium wrote:
I see the description of "from a pet-free home" fairly often, and it made me wonder: has anyone ever actually had an allergic reaction to a previously used game due to animal allergies?

Unless an animal was actively drooling/peeing/rolling around in a game (in which case damage would probably make it unsellable anyway), I wouldn't think the allergens would be in enough abundance to make a difference... then again, I've also never met anyone with an animal allergy with a severity that was similar to, say, a peanut allergy, in which case I certainly COULD see trace contamination possibly causing an issue.

But in any case, people who disclose the presence of pets out of consideration for others is not a problem! meeple

EDIT: I suppose if the house really, really stank of animals, it, like cigarette smoke, might permeate into the cardboard?

We got a book from the thrift shop. The only things I'm allergic to are cats, and that one book.

I think they're in cahoots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Boy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's just a common phrase to mean that it's in good condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's mostly for the pet hair issue, somewhat for the smell. I could see some cases where the game might pick up an aura that someone might find bothersome. I would think it less of an issue than if it came from a smoker, but I understand that it could be useful to know. As much as I like pets, if I were given equal choices between pet-free or no, I'd probably choose pet-free myself. Now, I would make clear that an environment with pets is by no means a deal breaker, but the cleaner you present it, the better.

My preferred seller would be 'still in wrap, kept in a darkened, near vacuum climate controlled vault' but I admit I can be picky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't suffer from a malady, it's easy to trivialize it.

Pete (has 3 family members and two game group members who are extremely allergic to certain pets)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a FLGS that I love, but cannot be in there for more than 15 minutes because of the smell and pet dander of their two big dogs. I can only swing through there for like 10 minutes and then have to run out. Makes me sad.

That's the power of 'pet free home' and the value it brings to some
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses

plezercruz wrote:

Pete (has 3 family members and two game group members who are extremely allergic to certain pets)

To be clear, I'm NOT trying to trivialize it (while I do not have animal allergies, I do have a peanut allergy). I just wanted to know if it actually causes a problem. There is a big difference between being in a house with an animal you're allergic too, and being in a room with an item that was once in the same room as that animal. Just as, for me, there is a large difference between smelling peanuts and eating them (but my peanut allergy is not that bad, compared to some). If people are having allergic reactions to 2nd hand games they've bought, then people should know that this is a problem, and the presence of pets can be important info (rather than just the absence of pets as a selling point)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two people in my board game group that have to dose up heavy on allergy meds to even come to my house.

On the other hand, they've never had problems with games from my shelves when I take them with me to meet them in another location.

I imagine they would have to be REALLY heavy cat hair in the air for the amount on a board game on a shelf to trigger anything.

That or a lot of cats rolling in the box top while it is sitting out, which I swat my wife's cat if she tries to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not be happy if a game came full of little cat hairs, so I lean towards pet free if it is available.

I would simply clean them out if this happened, and play the game with no issue, but it's a little yucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I always thought "pet-free home" really meant "Does not smell like cat pee"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nothing worse than the smell of wet dog, I would rather huff a bag of cat pee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty meaningless statement that has no relevance to the actual condition of the game but maybe gives the illusion that it does.

Edit: I may have to list my games as such now because everyone seems to think it makes a difference. You can't fight psychology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Thanks for the responses

plezercruz wrote:

To be clear, I'm NOT trying to trivialize it (while I do not have animal allergies, I do have a peanut allergy). I just wanted to know if it actually causes a problem. There is a big difference between being in a house with an animal you're allergic too, and being in a room with an item that was once in the same room as that animal. Just as, for me, there is a large difference between smelling peanuts and eating them. If people are having allergic reactions to 2nd hand games they've bought, then people should know that this is a problem, and the presence of pets can be important info (rather than just the absence of pets as a selling point)
OK...

...pet dander gets everywhere, and the allergy to dander is not to the particle itself but to the protein on the dander, so it will literally cling to everything. I cringe every time I see a cat sitting in a game box, primarily because I buy as many games used as possible. Thankfully, my wife and son who are allergic and my daughter who actually has a severe respiratory issue do not come in contact with my games very often.

Two of my friends complain regularly that I buy used games and can readily pick out which ones have dander. Within minutes of opening the box, they start sneezing and sniffling. Wiping the games down with wet wipes tends to alleviate the problem. Pet dander on smooth surfaces seems to dissipate after about six months or so, but on rough surfaces it can persist longer.

I will likely buy the game either way (though I do get irate when someone resells a moldy game without informing me, because even though it's unlikely, that could potentially kill my daughter). But if someone lists "pet free" and "smoke free" home, that's for sure worth a few extra bucks to me because of the people close to me.

Pete (answers the question)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a friend swear one of my games made him sneeze. I still don't believe it (I mean, comon, one single game had more than the others?) but its the fact there could be someone out there that it does effect enough and thats enough to take precautions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just assumed it was because of all those photos of cats sitting in game boxes. "I always check my boxes for cats before shipping them. There is basically no chance I just mailed you an entire cat. Like, 95% certainty."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are different degrees of susceptibility to allergies. I have heard of some really extreme cases such as a person with a nut allergy having a reaction to someone nearby on a plane opening a little bag of peanuts, and microscopic particles going airborne. There may be some cases of animal hair allergies that are similarly severe.

Some may just not want to pay money for something that has ever given joy to the evil cat overlords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pets leave hair everywhere and get into things. Heck, children get into things and leave things sticky too. My home is pet-free, child-free, smoke-free, which I think of as the three main vectors through which games become unpleasantly gross in ways that are not immediately obvious at a quick glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Pete, Do not buy games from me.
I will always have a pet in my home

I find it unlikely that most people will notice where a game is from or not. I have allergies from my cat but I can't tell if a game has cat dander or not.

It is amazing, being in the finishing trades we see people complain about harmless odors of new carpet, ect, will complain about headaches and allergies, then go outside and puff on a cigarette.

While I do not discount people like Pete, I think his cases are few and far between.

Buying a game that has mold though? That is pretty sleezey stuff from the seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
I know one person who's allergies are bad enough that touching something that once touched something is enough to make her skin break out in a rash. Then there is the marketing aspect. I'd imagine it's pretty rare that coming from a pet free home would matter with a game, but if choosing between two copies at the same price I'm sure it's enough to sway some people whether it would actually effect them or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a cat allergy, get contested at my friends to a moderate extent, but overall I look for smoke free home to a much greater extent. I cannot abide the smell of smoke and it iterates me highly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
Well Pete, Do not buy games from me.
I will always have a pet in my home

I find it unlikely that most people will notice where a game is from or not. I have allergies from my cat but I can't tell if a game has cat dander or not.

It is amazing, being in the finishing trades we see people complain about harmless odors of new carpet, ect, will complain about headaches and allergies, then go outside and puff on a cigarette.

While I do not discount people like Pete, I think his cases are few and far between.

Buying a game that has mold though? That is pretty sleezey stuff from the seller.
It's not the biggest deal for me (the mold is, but not the pets). I am not allergic to cast or dogs so it doesn't bother me at all. I will buy your games!

But I'll probably pay a few more bucks from the guy that has a pet-free home, and if I was the one with the allergy, I might pay a lot more.

Pete (doesn't want to overstate it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a different perspective, I'm a cat owner. Two cats. Every time I see a picture of a cat in a box, I cringe - I keep my games on a table, nowhere near where the cats go... Cats don't belong on tables or kitchen counter, and they sure as hell need to stay away from my games.

I list my games as coming from a cat-friendly home, but the games are not cat friendly. Stupid furball nuzzles a box, it gets a glove (cat is terrified of winter gloves)...

Some of us take other people's allergies quite seriously. And respect the game's conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris King

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pepe Le Pew wrote:
The real problem is that cats eat game pieces. Now most of us with cats have no problem with fishing them out of the litter box, dusting them off and sticking them back in the game box.

Some people think it's icky.

Go figure.

*Looks at avatar and screen name*

Ah, the things we do for l'amour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.