Hong Tai Lee
msg tools
Hi All,

I'm a bit confused on the prevent damage mechanic here, especially after playing both the board game and android version.

Overall, the Android Version allowed the "prevent" mechanics to be played on troops in a lane at ANY time and have that effect remain until that troop got hit with 1 combat phase.

The scenario was as follows:

- Field Medic was in front of a Storm Trooper (Medic ability NOT used)
- Field Medic gets faced with an enemy that's going to kill it (even with prevention)

- In the Android version, it allowed the medic to apply the "Prevent 2 Damage" to the stormtrooper before getting killed.

- Medic Dies, Storm Trooper Moves up - How can the Medic now "Prevent" the damage?

As such, does "Prevent" damage have to be played on imminent incoming damage, or can it be "applied" on units for their upcoming combat phase?

Another point of confusion here is that the plasma shield & med pack stated that the designer never had the intention to have "lingering" effects. Wouldn't this also infer that prevention can only happen to imminent damage versus a "lingering" shield that only lasts one combat phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, it seems like it's up to how you want to play it. As you say, the designer has stated his intent on how the ability should work, but like a number of things in this game, that intent is really far divorced from what the card text says. It would've been trivial to word it the way he wants it used, but he didn't ("Once per round, when a troop would receive damage, prevent 2 points of that damage." Has the timing he wants, is very clear when it should be used, and it can clearly only be used while the Medic is alive and its card text available).

If you choose to play using the text on the card, you can activate the ability any time the Medic is in play and you just need to track that he was activated and which troop has the prevention on him. If you choose to play using the intent that's been told to us, it's less complex to track but less versatile. Which path you choose to follow (card text or designer intent) should be made clear to the rest of your players when you play it together.

For me, except in cases where it really clarifies something or makes a broken card worthwhile, I am choosing to play the game as it is printed. For the number of cards changed by some of the "designer's intent" posts and information, I'd need to give each player a reference sheet or sleeve the cards and print out new card text to make sure everyone was playing it the same way, and the game isn't worth it to me. It plays fine with the text as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hong Tai Lee
msg tools
Thanks for the reply! I completely agree with you and the before your start the game let's define the rules idea is great! I for some reason never thought of it! However, at the same time what keeps bugging me is the word "Prevent".

Technically speaking, the med kit + pulsar shield in the faq also stated that they are meant to be played when a troop is "suffering" damage to prevent it. As such, an action is "played" like a "spell" that literally lasts only for the next step. Also, in the context of the game, how can a medic "be played" to prevent damage when already dead?

In terms of balance, I tried lining up 3 field medics in my lane. If I don't bring in the "have to be alive to prevent" mechanic, I pumped my last medic to literally a net worth of 10 health (6 "prevention" points, and 4 HP). I also had a pulse armor and chainsaw so he / she became 12 health 6 attack. This makes it incredibly overpowered and actually devalues some wave 3 units.

Another point too is that it appeared to ruin the entire "attack" from the back mechanic where protecting the medic was always a concern.

I totally understand I can define on the board game version, but I'm actually also wanting to get this verified so I can run over to the Android version and campaign for a fix (or if it's an actual mechanic).

Any further discussion would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really sure what further discussion you're hoping for...it's clear that the Android implementation is working off of the Medic's card text, without taking into account the posts from the designer about how he intends damage prevention abilities to work. You've already read that material, what needs to be "verified?"

That difference may be because they're coding the app without having read forum posts or the F.A.Q., it may be that that aspect of the rules goes through CMON and the app writers without the original designer having influence, who knows? If you want to make sure they know about the discrepancy, you should simply do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hong Tai Lee
msg tools
Hi,

Overall, I'm wondering what you interpret as "prevent". Yes, it has the end same effect as block or shield where the 2 damage isn't done.

However, I'm now challenging the meaning of "prevent" where "a person has to be there to stop it". He could have chosen to wording "skip the next 2 damage", or "bandaged" troop skips the next 2 damage, but he didn't. If we include "Prevented" synonyms that (eg. averted, stopped), it means that the "preventer" has to have actively been there to do something. As a medic, I'm assuming the medic has to be "there" versus let's say a shield deployment device.

Overall, I just want to see what other people in the community may have to say about it.

I've also pinged the game designer hoping to get an answer. In the end, I want to play the game exactly as it was crafted & designed - I'm not all that satisfied in beating a game until I know I have the designer's original game in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't get what you're challenging. As you have read in the F.A.Q. and other posts, he was clear in what his intent is - the Med Pack uses the same word, "prevent." Mr. Shinall intended the Med Pack, Field Medic and Pulsar Shield to be used/played at the time of the damage happening. We know this, it is not something that needs to be challenged to the community, or that needs yet another post from him saying what he's already said.

If you're actually not sure of the meaning of the word prevent, you can clearly see the definition has nothing to do with "a person has to be there to stop it."

This seems like a weird, circular conversation...he intended all of these things to work one way. The wording on the card does not support that intent (although the Field Medic comes closest). If the way the app treats it bothers you, e-mail them and don't click the ability except at times that you think you ought to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hong Tai Lee
msg tools
May I know what the rush is in closing this thread? I posted this to see who else may have an opinion. I value yours but would like to see others.

I'd be glad to append this to another FAQ, but please, I want to hear other people's opinion on it.

Unless this violates forum rules, please let me know and I'll close this thread and post my question elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You post whatever you want, man! My confusion is that the thread doesn't seem to offer any new contribution - there are really no different opinions to get, because the facts are publicly known. You may notice there have been no other contributions here when other posts in the game's forum have activity.

Threads don't get closed on this site, so they just take up space, and you have every right to do so You're not violating any rules, and no one has told you that you are (unless you got some private message). All I've done is confirm that you already have all of the information pertinent to your original post, and if you perceived that as some sort of hostility, I apologize for upsetting you. I'll not click back into here, I promise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to be an error in the App version. There are no "persistent effects" like this. The Field Medic's effect must be used when the damage happens. It cannot be "banked" for later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Martini
msg tools
Yup, confirming this was a misinterpretation on my part (app dev here), I guess from my MtG background.

Since it is rather impractical to stop the game and ask if you want to prevent damage every time damage occurs, we're just going to change it to expire any dmg prevention whenever a fight round or a phase ends.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hong Tai Lee
msg tools
Hi Seth,

No worries, perhaps it was me, but overall I tend to always strive for a definitive answer. Even if I have all the info, justifying the sole correct interpretation is very important to me.

Oddly enough I am so happy with this game that I had been madly advocating for it amongst my friends, and it is very important to them too to play the game exactly as intended with a definitive clearlt supported statement. Else the debates rage on and the game loses its luster.

In the end though, I really like your candid opinion, but in the end was looking a verdict. Thanks though and honestly I would like to have you post in any other fuure threads that I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hong Tai Lee
msg tools
Awesome!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to review this thread! I really appreciate it!!

For what it's worth, also thank you so much for designing this game!!! It's awesome and it's honestly a game that I love to play daily solo, and intermittently with groups! This is an awesome community!!!

I hope you're all having a good long weekend!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.