Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the signs of a good game is the possibility for situations to arise that make one say "I've never seen THAT before." We played a very strange game of Nexus Ops the other night.

When the board was created, all the Liquifungus Forests were on her side, and I had all the Crystal Spires. She went first. We quickly explored the board, and basically I got most of the mines, while she got all the Rock Striders. This meant that she was able to take the Monolith, and had it until the last move of the game. However, I was raking in about 18 Rubium each turn, while she was only getting about 10.

It was a strange, asymmetric situation. She had several Striders parked on the Monolith, and soon had a hand full of Energize cards, but had trouble paying for new units. She went for the big-ticket items, and soon had a few Lava Leapers and a Dragon on the monolith, because she had Energize cards that gave her extra movement. I could buy several units each turn, but there was a lag until I could get them into a meaningful position. A few low-level skirmishes happened on our border, and a few mines traded hands. Her Dragon would spit dragon goop on my guys, but it was clear that my economic superiority was tipping the game to me.

Finally I had an army large enough to dare an attack on the Monolith. I attacked with two Dragons, two Leapers, and two Striders. She had a Dragon, two Leapers, and three Striders. She played a Frenzy card, giving all her units two attacks. This card, coupled with horrible rolling on my part, resulted in me losing all my units, while she lost only one Strider.

It was purely economic attrition at that point. I slowly created another army to march on the Monolith. She had 8 VPs, and I had 7. I won the repeat battle on the Monolith, satisfying Secret Objectives of winning a battle on the Monolith with a Dragon, and killing a Leaper. This won the game for me.

This was a strange game, because the resources were so uneven. There was very little fighting except around the Monolith. Her huge excess of Energize cards prolonged the game, but was no match for my Rubium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
drew woodworth
United States
wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Cool battle report with an interesting development. I have never seen anything like that happen in my games of Nexus Ops. One thing though, it sounds like you played "Frenzy" wrong. The card effects all units in the battle, not just your own. The card is too overpowered if you only double your own attacks with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
katang wrote:
One thing though, it sounds like you played "Frenzy" wrong. The card effects all units in the battle, not just your own.

I just re-read the card, and it's totally ambiguous. I think a case could be made either way. However, simply because it does not specify something like "your units," and many cards have statements like this, I suspect that you are correct.

Go figure

and

D'OH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.