Glass Road» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My thoughts after acquiring this game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Apollo Melo
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all.

So after buying Agricola and playing it countless times (long before I started logging plays a few weeks ago on BGG), I moved on to At the Gates of Loyang because I heard it was one of Uwe's better solo experiences. See, most of my board gaming is done solitaire. I love to play with others when I get the chance, but for the most part I rarely have the ability to get others in for a game. Maybe once or twice a month?

Which brought me to Glass Road. I did some trading and found this gem on my doorstep.

The short answer? I'm sold.

My first game was extremely frustrating. I love Uwe's work, but he should consider hiring a writer for his manuals that can explain things a little more coherently. I'm not slouch when it comes to board gaming, but for all of the details and situations the manual explained, I never really got a sense for what I was supposed to be doing. That said, it's just about my only complaint for the game, because once it clicked for me it became quite addictive. Since I've only played solo, I can't speak to the Race for the Galaxy-esque card strategizing, but in solitaire I feel like I'm two distinct games. The first is a math-like puzzle as I decipher the two productions wheels and try to optimize the resources there for what I need. The second is getting useful building onto my board and chaining things together to get some decent points. I can imagine with another player, the added layer of difficulty in trying to optimize a card strategy as well would blow my mind.

But that's precisely what I like about Glass Road, and really all of Uwe Rosenberg's I've tried so far. The concept is simple, but the execution is remarkably challenging because you have so many options. Overall, I definitely recommend this one. I've crammed in 8 or 9 plays in the last few days and so far my highest score is 22.5. Lots of replay value to be gained from this one in my future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jenkinson
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired this game as well, along with Fields of Arle. Both great, yet very different, solitaire capable games.

I love how much variability in setup Glass Road has. There are countless tiles and you only see maybe 10 or so from each stack. Each game truly is a new puzzle to optimize.

Also very happy to hear a fellow noob is only getting around 22 points so far - right on part with me!

The only thing I find annoying is trying to randomize the tiles each game. If they were cards and I could shuffle them, that would be far easier, but way less attractive. I usually just make 6 stacks for one color and alternate placing tiles on each one. Anyone with an easier way to ensure a random start everytime? I guess I could always get a cloth bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Melo
msg tools
mbmbmb
transcend11 wrote:
I recently acquired this game as well, along with Fields of Arle. Both great, yet very different, solitaire capable games.

I love how much variability in setup Glass Road has. There are countless tiles and you only see maybe 10 or so from each stack. Each game truly is a new puzzle to optimize.

Also very happy to hear a fellow noob is only getting around 22 points so far - right on part with me!

The only thing I find annoying is trying to randomize the tiles each game. If they were cards and I could shuffle them, that would be far easier, but way less attractive. I usually just make 6 stacks for one color and alternate placing tiles on each one. Anyone with an easier way to ensure a random start everytime? I guess I could always get a cloth bag.

I split the stack in half. Then the top half of each mini-stack and overhand shuffle them together, taking from the front, middle, and back. Do the same with the two leftover ministacks. After that I cut the complete stack a couple times and call it good. I find that when I store the game they get fairly well randomized in the little baggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
transcend11 wrote:
Anyone with an easier way to ensure a random start everytime? I guess I could always get a cloth bag.

Buy three draw bags and throw the tiles in there. Done and done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Melo
msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh and speaking of score, the funny thing is that I just haven't been able to reproduce my 22 again. I managed to hit 20 and that felt like my brain was going to explode. I crammed three plays in yesterday evening and never broke 17, my lowest was 11!

No doubt about it, this is a *tough* game to do well in. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny. I've actually had a hard time finding the cloth bags that come in so many games too. I can find a lot of other bags I don't want, like the felt, dice bags and the Crown Royal bags that a lot of people love--I personally don't like turning my game sessions into a whisky commercial.

I found a couple onesie-twosies on Ebay, like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCRABBLE-BOARD-GAME-PARTS-CLOTH-BL...

But I really don't understand why those little, black, drawstring cloth bags are so hard to find for retail.

Anybody else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out if you live in the UK, you can get them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drawstring-Bags-Black-Cotton-POSTAGE...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.