King Down» Forums » General

Subject: 3D Print of Rock at 2x size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tev Kaber
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Saar was awesome enough to release .stl files to backers, I got a print of Rock at 2x the size of the game mini. I plan on painting it, and was interested in how that size would compare to the game minis.

It's actually too big for the board at 2x, I think the ideal size would be ~1.5x the current mini size to give them a more chess-like feel.

Actually, getting a larger print made me appreciate the small pieces more. I do still think they are a little small, but they do retain a good amount of detail. Saar's choice of material is also good, they are very rugged compared with other print materials, especially with the thin parts of these stylized figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks for sharing/doing this. I agree the 2x is far too big. I'd imagine 150% or maybe even a little less than that will be ideal.

If you end up doing any other sizes let us know. Especially with the pikes. I'm curious what bump up it'd take for those to feel more solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saar Shai
United States
BRONX
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great print job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Rodriguez
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Wish I had joined the campaign on time. I would love to reprint some of my guys, especially the pikes, they're so tiny. Ah well, looks great man. Can't wait to see if you do the rest of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tev Kaber
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Painted the 3D print today. There is some texture from the 3D print process, and the primer I used was kind of rough, but I felt like a bumpy texture was appropriate for this model (plus I was too lazy to do sanding to smooth things)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tevk/21176773211/

There are some mistakes here and there, but good enough for this model. laugh

I'm going to do a model at 1.5x size, more to see what that size would look like than to paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.