Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1st edition had cards backs that were a different shade from the 2nd edition and the Rodney Smith/Watch It, Play It promo cards

Will this expansion have the same issues with card backs for those who have the 1st edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appears so.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20211892#20211892

If this is true though (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), it's really disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, totally makes it an unwanted product for me if this is so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Dijkstra
Netherlands
Ammerstol
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
The 1st edition had cards backs that were a different shade from the 2nd edition and the Rodney Smith/Watch It, Play It promo cards

Will this expansion have the same issues with card backs for those who have the 1st edition?

Yes, Portal doesn't support the 1st edition at all.
Shame on them!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless they are planning on releasing the 1st edition cards again with the new backs? Long shot, but worth asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case anyone isn't subscribed to the other thread posted above it was updated today that the expansion backs are different than either of the previous edition backs so the difference is purposeful and playable with both editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured they would opt for that solution. Thanks goes out to Portal for solving this issue (in the long run it prevents a lot of issues for them). Looking forward to this expansion. I noticed that the designer of the base game is not involved is he?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Was aware of this before I purchased. Played for the firs time today.

The 60 family cards (if you got them all) have their own backs so that doesn't matter.

There's a handful of Patron cards with different backs and you can replace the Complications at Birth cards with Birth Event cards that also have different backs. I think the Birth Event cards might be different backs no matter which edition you have though, because for those the rulebook states you should "know when they are coming" and for the Patron cards it has a sidebar that says "IF they dont match depending on edition, its not a big deal because you'll only be able to narrow it down to half of the patrons."

So its not a huge deal, but it is a bit annoying. I don't play this game enough to memorize the patrons (its a sometimes game) but I'm not sure if the mix of good/bad birth events is enough that its okay to know when they're coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.