Hide
12 Posts

Sheriff of Nottingham» Forums » General

Subject: Too much coin? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peugeot 206
msg tools
I hope I didn't misread the rules but if everyone's only given 50 coins at the beginning and we don't ever take money from the bank, does the game in this case, come with too many extra coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You score up at the end with them. You'll have quite a bit of money then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extras are for quickly changing up at the end of the game to count your final score. They're not strictly speaking necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Better to have extra than short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been playing a variant by accident due to a misunderstanding when originally taught the game. We have been playing that legal goods get paid out at the end of each round after inspection has been made.

This usually means that running out of money is not an issue and it is one less thing to worry about at the end of the game. We just add up the coins, then King and Queen and then the value of contraband for a total score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LFITQ wrote:
We have been playing a variant by accident due to a misunderstanding when originally taught the game. We have been playing that legal goods get paid out at the end of each round after inspection has been made.

This usually means that running out of money is not an issue and it is one less thing to worry about at the end of the game. We just add up the coins, then King and Queen and then the value of contraband for a total score.

The only problem with that is that it makes it messy to bargain with goods, ie: promising to give someone 2 apples if they don't check your bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
LFITQ wrote:

The only problem with that is that it makes it messy to bargain with goods, ie: promising to give someone 2 apples if they don't check your bag.

Yeah but we also played, incorrectly, that you could only offer goods in your bag. Once items were placed in score areas they were there for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Beliveau
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Also, running out of coins is supposed to be possible, forcing you to sell those apples/bread/cheese/chickens before the end to get more coins, but you lose them when counting for King/Queen. It makes making outlandish bribes or checking everyone much more dangerous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:

This works, although I would highly recommend downloading the free App for scoring - when we use the App it feels like we can shave a game's total time down and people are excited to play again since the scoring can really drag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:

This works, although I would highly recommend downloading the free App for scoring - when we use the App it feels like we can shave a game's total time down and people are excited to play again since the scoring can really drag.

I just put the money tray in the middle and tell everyone to grab the correct amount of counts for their goods, and then we figured out the king and queen as a group. It doesn't take too long.

Although this method doesn't work well if you play with people likely to cheat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
flag msg tools
NinjaMike wrote:
c4dillon wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:

I just put the money tray in the middle and tell everyone to grab the correct amount of counts for their goods, and then we figured out the king and queen as a group. It doesn't take too long.

Although this method doesn't work well if you play with people likely to cheat.

People likely to cheat won't make it very many games in my group. We don't take kindly to their type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purge Player
msg tools
peugeot206 wrote:
I hope I didn't misread the rules but if everyone's only given 50 coins at the beginning and we don't ever take money from the bank, does the game in this case, come with too many extra coins?

You can play a slight variant where people can opt to sell their goods back to the bank to get the immediate cash value, of course, this will also mean they can't get any bonuses if they held on to until end of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.