Nathan Eggers
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
And from an ivory tower hears her call, "Let the light surround you"
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe maintaining Market parity in 2 player is paramount to your success. Unlike 3-4 player you don't have another person or two knocking people out--so if you manage to gain an advantage early, you are going to score a nearly insurmountable amount of points.

After ten plays I can say this my only major gripe with the game since it diminishes early craft building plays.

Another thing I noticed is that helper cards that only work with certain die rolls are far less useful because of the diminished dice pool. Sure everyone gets the same amount of dice, but there is a good chance none of those dice will roll what you need.

Two player is a weird beast. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witt
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm only at 7 plays,all which have been two player. I did not get the feeling control of the market was key. My last two game I have focused on the craft buildings early and then the market barrows.

My last two games my score was 86 and 87 which I was pretty happy with since my first game was in the low 60s.

I'm curious what your two player scores have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Durend wrote:
Another thing I noticed is that helper cards that only work with certain die rolls are far less useful because of the diminished dice pool.

Yes, those helpers are basically crapshoots at any player count, but with only 5 dice they will almost never yield a return anywhere that of helpers not influenced by dice rolls... thankfully cards can be played for 3 other purposes ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
Disappointed by this game. Expected brain burner but it's really light. Gets very repetitive half way through. Maybe cut two rounds?

Some useless tacked on gimmicks like roof tiles that are mostly too expensive for what they offer and lack of vp track is a mind boggler. So much time wasted converting the vp chits.

One point difference in our first two player game (52/51) shows it doesn't really matter what you do. It's too easy to convert resources and always get what you need. Same with dice track. Never struggled with choices. Lots of ways to play cards but some are obviously better than others. Fields are weak. Card variety is good but you only see three in a game and some helpers, by luck of the draw, are better than others.

Maybe better with 4 players but with two, can't recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peepser wrote:
Disappointed by this game. Expected brain burner but it's really light.

Sorry to hear but you cannot win everybodys heart. :-)

Peepser wrote:
Gets very repetitive half way through. Maybe cut two rounds?

The game is balanced for 6 rounds. I recommend to not play it before cutting two rounds.

Peepser wrote:

Some useless tacked on gimmicks like roof tiles that are mostly too expensive for what they offer and lack of vp track is a mind boggler. So much time wasted converting the vp chits.

I can live with the "tacked on", that is just your way to see it and I think you will have many people second your thought. But your simply wrong about their worth. Did you see that you not only get a small one time bonus but the more roof tiles you buy the more points you get in total? It can be 10 points for a maximum of 20 silver. This is a very good exchange rate.

Peepser wrote:
One point difference in our first two player game (52/51) shows it doesn't really matter what you do.

How do you come to this conclusion? Do you think that you cannot score more points than 52?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Voigt
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peepser wrote:
Disappointed by this game. Expected brain burner but it's really light. Gets very repetitive half way through. Maybe cut two rounds?

One point difference in our first two player game (52/51) shows it doesn't really matter what you do. It's too easy to convert resources and always get what you need. Same with dice track. Never struggled with choices. Lots of ways to play cards but some are obviously better than others. Fields are weak. Card variety is good but you only see three in a game and some helpers, by luck of the draw, are better than others.

Maybe better with 4 players but with two, can't recommend.

I will grant that not all games are for everyone, and this one may not be to your taste, but you've missed the boat here. I've never seen a barrow strategy win the game, and I've seen scores in the 80s. Learn to play the game well before you dismiss it as a light gateway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Peeper wrote:
One point difference in our first two player game (52/51) shows it doesn't really matter what you do.

Eh???? So you play one game, get a really close score and so come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what you do.

Um.... ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
Peeper wrote:

Eh???? So you play one game, get a really close score and so come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what you do.

Um.... ok.

Jumping to Conclusions is an Olympic Sport in Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.