Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb

Image Courtesy of W Eric Martin
this review continues my series of detailed reviews that attempt to be part review, part resource for anyone not totally familiar with the game. For this reason I expect readers to skip to the sections that are of most interest.

If you liked the review please thumb the top of the article so others have a better chance of seeing it and I know you stopped by. If you appreciate the time taken to write and the depth of analysis, please consider thumbing the bottom as it tells me I've helped you in some way. Thanks for reading.

Summary

Game Type - Card Game
Play Time: 5-25 Minutes
Number of Players: 2-6
Mechanics - Hand Management, Set Collection
Difficulty - Pick-up & Play (Can be learned in under 10 minutes)
Components - Good
Release - 2015

Designer - Andrew Looney (Back to the Future: The Card Game, Chrononauts, Seven Dragons, Everything Fluxx)

Overview

This review covers the Adventure Time edition of Fluxx and follows on from my review of the Batman edition earlier in the week. This copy too was sent to me by Looney Labs in the hope that I would review the game. Just getting that out there.

Some of you may be unfamiliar with Adventure Time as a thematic backdrop unless you are a kid, a Cartoon Network fan or a fan of the show. Adventure Time follows the adventures of Finn and Jake. Finn is a boy and Jake is his dog that can morph into all manner of forms. They live in a world where the weird and wonderful usually happen and to cut a long story short the series draws largely on the world of role-playing and other pop-culture. For example there are all manner of princesses, candy peoples and various cranky characters and villains that are trying to get their way. References to role-playing stereotypes abound and in short the show is pretty zany fun, with that new-generation edge that stands today's cartoons for kids apart from what has come before.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of the show but I have had a chuckle from time to time when it has been on in the background and a reference is made to something with the very real intention of reaching the adults at home too.

Hmm...it would seem that I know far too much. That's teenage boys for ya. cool

So saddle up that Rainbow Princess Pony over there and join me for a short ride.

mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb

The Components

Adventure Time Fluxx is a card game, which consists of exactly 100 cards. Rather than go through each type here as I usually do I think I'll try a different approach and images of the cards will appear throughout the review.

d10-1 The Card Types – The game provides a variety of different card types which include, Goals, Rules, Keepers, Actions, Creepers and Surprise Cards. Each of these feature their own colour to help identify them quickly as well as the card type printed clearly.

Image Courtesy of Alice87

d10-2 Quality - The cards are about mid-range in relation to quality. In terms of size, the cards are slightly smaller than a regular playing card and this is good because with certain rules in play a player can be holding quite a few cards at times.

The cards do not feature a matte/linen finish unfortunately but that is to be expected for the mass market asking price. Card thickness is neither great nor poor, it is serviceable and does the job.

d10-3 Card Design - The design layout of the cards is pretty well done. All the cards follow a standardised format, which allows the players to quickly come to terms with the cards in their hand and how they can be used. The cards in this version of Fluxx are perhaps a little heavier on the amount of text than other versions have had in the past, but it isn't cumbersome at all and the occasional icon also helps to keep text to a minimum.

The Surprise Cards are the most text heavy and feature almost no artwork. This is because they need to cover the function of these cards for both 'in-turn' and 'out-of-turn' play.

d10-4 Artwork - Naturally the artwork is taken directly from the TV Show and whilst I don't watch the show regularly, many of the characters were familiar to me. So the images on offer have a cartoony feel but it is well done and evokes the theme of the show well.

d10-5 Rules - The rules are kept pretty minimal and fit on one side of a fold-out leaflet. The other side is then dedicated to FaQs and these are handy to clarify how this version of Fluxx differs from others and to clarify a few card combo ambiguities. Overall a good job.

All in all I'd say the components of the game and the overall value for money is fair to good.

d10-6 The In-Jokes - Being less familiar with the theme than I am with Batman, I had a good time reading many of the cards and putting some names to characters and items that I was unfamiliar with. Alex, my middle lad, is a big fan of the show though and he was laughing quite a bit at some of the card combinations and some of the in-jokes or tie-ins with the show. So if Adventure Time does it for you, then this may be right up your alley.

The Set-Up

Fluxx doesn't muck around. It's designed to be simple and quick, so it has no time to offer up a complicated set-up.

Simply shuffle the deck, give each player 3 cards, set the starting rule card face-up on the table and pick a starting player.

The Play

Having reviewed Batman Fluxx only last week I recommend reading the game play basics of that review to get your head around how to play. Nothing is different here except in how some of the cards...like Creepers...are implemented.

To keep this as a whole review in its entirety I will cover the basic play of Fluxx here, although it may be cut down slightly from last week's review (a link can be found at the end of this review). Those familiar should skip to the 'What's Different?' section below.

d10-1 The Aim – The aim of Fluxx is very simple. You need to be the first player to satisfy the goal that is currently in play. Most goals will require the ownership of 2 cards, called Keepers. These represent the tangible things, the locations, items and characters, which make up the Adventure Time world.

d10-2 The Problem – Well Fluxx is an exercise in chaos and an ever changing game state. Not only do the rules of the game change, but the goal that is being chased will change on a regular basis as well. This is the very nature of Fluxx, regardless of the theme. Victory can be only a single play away or snatched from you at the last second.

An additional element in Adventure Time Fluxx is the presence of Creeper Cards, which are nasty characters from the world of Adventure Time. If a player has a Creeper in front of them, they cannot win the game until it is removed. This simulates that the good guys are currently being thwarted by the bad guys.

The only exception to this rule is if the current Goal requires a particular Creeper, then the win is possible.

d10-3 The Play of the Game – Fluxx couldn't follow a simpler flow if it tried and that is really a large part of its appeal.

The game starts out with a simple rule - 'Draw one card and Play one card'. That is all that players are allowed to do...initially.

With this simple directive, the players must decide if they will play a new goal, add a rule to the game, play an action or get a Keeper into play. Any Keeper or Creeper Cards are played to the table in front of a player to show that they own them. In fact Creepers must be played as soon as they are drawn, but they do not constitute a 'Play' and another card is immediately drawn to replace them. In this way the Creepers try to thwart the good intentions of the heroes and players and must be managed by the players to affect the victory.

d10-4 Adding Rules - Some rules replace those that have come before (if they are of the same style) and others are simply added to the rules area to add another directive for the players. All Rules played in this way are permanent and must be adhered to until they are superseded or discarded by the play of another card.

Should a player add a rule such as 'Draw 4', and they started their turn by only drawing 1 card, they can immediately draw the additional 3 cards they are entitled to.

Other rules affect the number of cards that must be played in a turn, add hand limits to the table or limit the number of Keeper Cards that a player can have in play at once. These are just a few examples.

d10-5 Playing a Goal - Unless the rules are changed to say otherwise, there will only be a single Goal in play at a time. So if a new Goal is played it sees the old Goal discarded and the new one takes its place.

In this way Fluxx is a game that can see players within moments of victory, only for it to be snatched away. It is equal parts frustration and equal parts bliss...depending on which side of the card play you are on. Fluxx is very much a 'take that' game by nature, but the severity of what can be inflicted on others is so minimal that it is hard to really get upset or too frustrated about it. General laughter and vows of 'I'll get you for that' are usually the order of the day.

d10-6 Winning the Game – A game of Fluxx is won by owning the Keepers and/or Creepers that are required by the current Rule to win the game. This will normally happen within a player's own turn, but an inactive player can win should the active player change the Rule and in doing so it is satisfied by the cards of someone else.

Why would a player do this? Well it may happen by accident or involuntarily! Fluxx requires its players to play the cards that a Rule requires. So a player can be forced to play cards they do not want to (one example would be the 'Play All' rule), thus giving another player the win. surprise

How Does Adventure Time Fluxx Differ from the Original? Anything New?

Rather than offer up a lazy veneer of Adventure Time to the play of Fluxx, this edition actually does a few things differently to help it stand on its own two feet and support the theme in question.

d10-1 Creepers - First up are the Creepers, which are also present in Batman Fluxx. These are a new card type to the Fluxx universe and here they equate to being bad guys from the world of Adventure Time such as the Ice King and Grabapple.

Creepers differ from other cards in two significant ways. First, they must be played as soon as they are drawn...there is no choice. Doing so also allows a player to draw another card immediately.

The other important impact they have on the game is that the presence of a Creeper in front of a player prevents them from winning the game, even if they have the Keepers required to satisfy the current Goal.

The only time this isn't the case is if the Goal in play actually requires the presence of a particular Creeper and that card is held by the current player.

This differs from the implementation of Creepers in Batman Fluxx where the presence of a Creeper in front of any player denied the chance to win for all players.

Overall I don't feel that the inclusion of Creepers is as strong (thematically or mechanically) in this version of the game but here they are easier to offload on opponents to slow the opposition down and that is a major difference in how the Creepers are implemented.

d10-2 Surprise Cards - These cards also constitute a new card type to the universe of Fluxx Games. These cards allow a player to deny the play of another player when it isn't their turn. For example cancelling the effect of a certain card type played by another player.

However, these cards can also be played within a player's turn for a slightly different effect. So they have dual functionality.

Does Fluxx needs yet another level of chaos added to its play? Possibly not but it does add a small addition to the player interaction and keeps the players on their toes. And heck...it's the nature of the beast...so I'm happy to deal with it.

d10-3 Additional Card Effects - The final change in play for Adventure Time Fluxx is that some of the traditional cards such as Keepers, can now have some additional powers, which are thematically accurate to the Adventure Time Universe. For example BMO (a handheld game dude) can allow a player to ignore all Hand and Keeper Limits.

These powers can be critical if utilised at the right moment and I like the fact that the normally benign Keepers now have a little more going on.

The Final Word

In the final analysis, my views on Adventure Time Fluxx are much the same as Batman Fluxx. I prefer these thematic additions over the vanilla game any day but in the end the core gameplay is still very much the same and it isn't enough to make me want to play Fluxx over the many other games on my shelf.

Of course I am not the target market for these games. The target market really is the mass market and family market demographics...those people that play games occasionally and when they do they like to reach for a game they already know and don't have to learn complex rule-sets.

From this perspective the theming of Fluxx to capture new audiences makes total sense. I know that if my 13 year old had walked past this on a department store shelf he would have asked to get it. I too would have been far more likely to reach for Batman Fluxx.

Gamers can still have a good time with these games if they are looking to fill a smaller timeframe or just want to ease up on the brain-matter. But I think Fluxx as a concept now has much stronger competition since the boom in the micro-game space.

Till next we meet, may Jake continue to morph into all manner of awesome things and Finn ride him to save the day.

NB - I did receive a review copy of Adventure Time Fluxx from Looney Labs to assist in writing this review.

Other Fluxx Review Links

Batman Fluxx

Review Links

For a full list of my 400+ reviews in a search-able Geeklist -

My Review Geeklist for Easy Reference
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Smith
United States
Andover
Kansas
flag msg tools
GET OVER HERE!
badge
Who the @#&% was that?
mbmbmbmbmb
Creepers have been a part of base Fluxx for a very long time, years.

[EDIT]: Creepers have been in the base set since 2008
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oreot wrote:
Creepers have been a part of base Fluxx for a very long time, years.

Yes but they were not in the original.

EDIT - Well that is new to me and thanks for the pick-up. The rules however list them as being something new to Fluxx, which is odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Atanian
msg tools
It is my understanding, however, that as of the most recent release of the base set, Creepers are now no longer in it. (I have the edition before that, though, so I still have Creepers in mine!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yotsuyasan wrote:
It is my understanding, however, that as of the most recent release of the base set, Creepers are now no longer in it. (I have the edition before that, though, so I still have Creepers in mine!)

How recent is that? I was sent mine by Loony Labs only in August of 2015.

Would seem weird if they have changed it since then but not impossible I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Yotsuyasan wrote:

There have been numerous editions of the base game of Fluxx. The most recent, Fluxx 5.0, was released in October 2014. It does not have Creepers. Fluxx 4.0, released in 2008, does have Creepers. There is also a Special Edition of Fluxx (originally exclusive to Target stores) that was released in 2012; it also does not have Creepers.

The Creeper card type was introduced with Zombie Fluxx, first released in 2007. The Surprise card type was introduced with Pirate Fluxx, first released in 2011.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:
Yotsuyasan wrote:

There have been numerous editions of the base game of Fluxx. The most recent, Fluxx 5.0, was released in October 2014. It does not have Creepers. Fluxx 4.0, released in 2008, does have Creepers. There is also a Special Edition of Fluxx (originally exclusive to Target stores) that was released in 2012; it also does not have Creepers.

The Creeper card type was introduced with Zombie Fluxx, first released in 2007. The Surprise card type was introduced with Pirate Fluxx, first released in 2011.

And here I was thinking that Fluxx could drive you mad when in fact it is keeping up with Fluxx over the years that will guarantee the asylum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.