United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say "Knife/Pistol/Bomb/Cannon - take an opponent's pirate and place it beside your ship as a lost pirate. Count cannon hits with damage cubes. Four hits sinks ship and you lose game."

We have played a number of games, and have never had a situation where the ship actually sank. With the cannon killing both pirates and ship, one would always loose just to the pirates being depleted significantly faster.

We tried a few rounds where the cannon did not kill a pirate, and actually had the ship sink. Although the rules clearly include Cannon with pirate killing, it would seem to us that to have the ship sinking mechanic be significant, one would need to not include pirates being killed by the cannon.

Also, considering the cannon rolls a very high chance of success, it seems way OP to kill affect both pirates and ship.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You have that correct as far as being strict with the rules. The cannon damage is to prevent a runaway game - theoretically it would be possible to play for a long time. I think the Sorry Man, I Farted crew (legit reviewers) have had 20 and 30 minute games!

BUT . . . I think your variant is fantastic and there's no reason you should not play like that.

I have the "Sea Dog" variant listed here: http://subquark.com/rules-mtpirates.html that does the same, no pirate is killed with cannon hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Malcomson
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also play with the cannon only damaging the ship and not the pirates as well. I also like to play with another house rule that relates to ship damage. The rule is, if you discard a pair of wild cards, you can repair one damage on your ship. This has the effect of allowing for more 'come-back' victories and extending the game play that I kind of like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.