United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the three core sets of High Command many times, but even though I also own a few expansion packs, I've never bothered to use them.

First off, I'm really not interested in doing pre-game deck building. What I'd like to do is just shuffle all of the new cards into their appropriate stacks. But what will this do to balance? Does it "break" the game? Is there some other way I should be doing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always shuffles the expansion cards into their respective detachments and then draw the 12 per colors of your choice before each game. I don't think it would be game breaking in anyway. The cards are fairly well balanced against each other(though I do admit it's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination). With shuffling them in you would get a new game every time, which could be interested.

I have never tried this personally. Though I do know of a group that took random races and random detachments, determined by die rolls, and played that way. They said they had fun since it allowed them to play the decks they had rather than worry about what was most powerful.

Give it a shot and let us know how it goes with the shuffling in of expansions =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could lump while learning the cards, sure.

But once you learn, take 10 minutes to do pre-game deck-building. Seriously. Because of the color system, it doesn't take long at all, esp. once you have a bit of familiarity with the cards. Most of the colors within a given faction, once you add expansion packs, break down into a couple "themes". If you lump everything in a given color together, you lose synergies big time. The thematics of the cards will help: generally if stuff looks like it belongs together/has similar card names, it belongs together.

Also, read my variant thread: it makes the game 10 times better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.