Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E1 Prime
Belgium
Deurne
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people I played with, especially those who go last the first turn, say going last is a huge disadvantage. The best ambassadors will be taken, the best spots will be long gone unless you immediately want to start a conflict. Some people call it so big there should be some starting hand compensation like some other games do. Does anyone else share this feeling? I don't think I missed something in the rules... did I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree it's a huge disadvantage in 3 or 4 player games and almost not an issue at all in 2 player games.

I wouldn't say any ambassador is better than any other...sure, if everyone wants to seize control asap in a round and there's a max 2 that help with that,the remaining players can't get those benefits,but there are plenty of other means to get an advantage in combat. And you have to consider the opportunity cost of any action you do...there's plenty of options that can be just as good for your strategy or better.

As far as the best spots being gone...i dont follow. Every space is always there for anyone to take over if they really want to. Unless you're referring to the stations and zones...which is their point to create more desirable real estate; both of which are optional.

I don't think there needs to be differences in starting resources because the way the start player is determined is designed to ensure that someone who is falling behind isn't always going last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mathes
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As with many games . . . it depends.

In this case it depends on the cards in ones hand and the cards of the other players.

There are lots of cards in New Dawn that NEED other cards placed already on the board to be useful.

Ciao

Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E1 Prime
Belgium
Deurne
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
mbmbmbmbmb
What I mean with spots being taken is that most players will pick a spot no one else has gone to yet and unless someone had a starting hand with a good combo there will be as many cards on the board as players. When 2 players battle for control of the same region on turn one. The second player will have to deal with the extra embassy defense. Of course you might be right that it's our lack of seeing all the options. In our group everyone goes combat-heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.