Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myladies, Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 24 hour contest September 2015
The basic rules-/discussion-/subscription thread can be found here.

We still have got a supporter!
Standing ovations for

Nizo
msg tools
mbmb

who offered to tip 20 for the winner of a month's contest as long as there are at least 3 submissions per month.

Also,

Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

offered a donation of 120 for the year 2015.
That is 10 price money per month - unconditionally!

WOHOOOO!!!

This month I'm presenting you a requirement that I actually wanted to bring since January ... And each month something else came in the way.
Not this month!
No!
No way!
It is so damn hot out there (at least over here in Germany), that there is no more reason to hold back!

Here is the requirement for this month:

Ice Age

Remember: The requirement is a requirement - not a theme! It's up to you, how you involve it in your game!

Happy designing and kind regards,
Kai

p.s.:

In the behaviour rules (see link to basic rules thread above) I've written:
Quote:
Please create a second posting in that thread to present your creation.

Please do present your game along with a short description in a posting. The reason I ask you to do this is simple: Creating geeklist entries becomes easier for me because from time to time copy-n-pasting from PDFs produces unexpected results (such as copying only odd symbols into the clipboard ..)
Thanks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in of course! It's funny what my first thoughts are when I see the topic. I always hope for something easy, half the time it is not. I first thought of a frozen nipple game, not sure why. Then I went onto icicle throwing, mammoth racing and ice fishing. My immediate thought was the movie more than anything else. So escaping the ice age is possible. Tile laying with land and ice tiles and you need to keep running as others place tiles around you? Maybe a time travel game where one card is the ice age. Might be hard in 24 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hackogames wrote:
a frozen nipple game, not sure why

Love it. And your imagination.

Glaciers!! as a timer / board changing mechanic!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm doing this. Starting at 20:55 local time. I'm not sure this is the ideal time of day/week to do this, but I had an idea instantly when I saw this months theme and I need to get that idea on paper before I forget it anyway.

Working title is New Age - a worker-placement game about the ice age ending and a new non-ice age beginning. I found a book about Sweden's history for children in the library a few weeks ago that I has been reading for my son. It started with the ice melting away after the ice age and people starting to move north to settle in Sweden. Sounds like a good theme for a game as any, although I will just make it an abstract non-existing country and not worry too much about history (or biology) because there is no time to research what things were really about. I can hopefully get far with just some cliches. But I need to start drawing now or I will never complete it in time, because realistically I have maybe 2 hours to complete this. Maybe 1 hour tomorrow with some luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game designed itself. I have made PDFs (rules, board, markers, tiles, player planning sheets) and currently printing everything to have a closer look and maybe solitaire-playtest a little tomorrow. But bedtime now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I swear - this month I will find 24 consecutive hours to do this, if I have to wrestle time to the ground and tie it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decent idea immediately popped into my head. Sadly, I'm working on two other projects right now. Hopefully I can find a weekend day to devote to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came upon with an idea immediately upon seeing the theme... Now to find time to flesh out the idea and create the game... If I succeed, this will be my first game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mAnIk Farmer
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im keen for this!
I will start this weekend or next
These 24 Hour Comps are fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New Age - a worker-placement boardgame for 2-4 players about the end of the ice age and beginning of a new (non-ice) age, has been uploaded (in time!).

rulebook PDF

all components (board, tiles, markers, player plan sheets) as a single PDF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
New Age - a worker-placement boardgame for 2-4 players about the end of the ice age and beginning of a new (non-ice) age, has been uploaded (in time!).

I read the rules and looked at the components. The game seems pretty "solid", I suggest you enter it in the 2015 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
pelni wrote:

I read the rules and looked at the components. The game seems pretty "solid", I suggest you enter it in the 2015 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest.

Thanks! I already have another idea for that contest that I think is better (for kids, at least), and I think it is against the spirit (possibly rules) of that contest to reuse a game that has already been posted somewhere like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mAnIk Farmer
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Entry - Survive: The Ice age

"Can you survive the ice age? Can you get lucky or will the predators ruin all chance of survival? A game for 2 - 4 Players of Bluffing, Gambling and Resource Collection"

Rules Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NjJEk__Nn_ZFpfM3lc08YHMRcH...
Components Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8aEL2by6-k7ZExSa1FELUJPMFU...

Ran out of time to play test,
So hopefully it is playable,
The Art is Place Holder Art this time,
Enjoy

And feedback is Appreciated,

Daniel
WRGFX
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so hoping to do this today... but I'll hold off until next weekend when I have more time.

My game will be titled: Penguins vs. Polar Bears: Fight for the Poles! It will be a fast 2-Player game. I can't wait to work on it... but I need a good stretch of time! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowball Fight
2 Players - 15 minutes
Development Period: September 2015

I originally started this for the 18 card contest and whipped it out in less than 24 hours, so I decided it would be perfect for September's 24 hour contest! After the September contest is over I'll keep working on this and refining it, but below is the very first iteration that was done in about 16 hours (9am on 9/9/2015 to 1am on 9/10/2015). After several playtests it seems pretty solid so far!

Snowball Fight is a micro deckbuilding and deduction game for two players that only contains 18 cards. In the game players go head-to-head with their arsenal of snowballs in an attempt to be the ruler of the Blizzard Realm!

In Snowball Fight each card has two possible actions, one on each half of the card (top and bottom). The action a player takes each turn depends on the direction they play the card. The game is played in two phases, a quick Drafting phase where players build their initial arsenal and then the Snow Assault phase where there is all out war! Play is simultaneous and players try to attack each other with an arsenal of snowballs, slushballs, and the dreaded iceballs and snow covered rocks while also trying to dodge attacks and build up their weaponry!

Note: I'm taking suggestions for a better name!

PnP files are available here:

Snowball Fight Rules - http://georgejaros.com/Files/Snowball_Fight_Rules.pdf
Snowball Fight Cards - http://georgejaros.com/Files/Snowball_Fight_Components.pdf

EDIT: Note that the picture is from a playtest prior to the final revision of the cards, which has the points adjusted a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd question, but would a tabletop RPG be an acceptable game for this contest? I'm thinking I might like to us this as a way to force myself to get a start on a side project I keep meaning to start (a really simple tabletop RPG that uses cards/board game bits to streamline what is otherwise clunky and requires lots of memory in typical tabletop RPGs). A 24 start-to-finsih deadline might be just the ticket for getting the core system off the ground.

And, to be clear, I haven't done any work on this at all. It's just on my list of "games to design someday" (which is a list of constraints I'd like to design under, really).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
gjjaros wrote:
Note: I'm taking suggestions for a better name!

Snowcraft
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jessey,

Anything is allowed, as long as it has been created within 24 hours. So a tabletop RPG is fine, too.

George,

Congratulations - you just received a Geekcent, because I'm too clumsy to handle my tablet
I hope you keep it well

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Jessey,

Anything is allowed, as long as it has been created within 24 hours. So a tabletop RPG is fine, too.

Great. Once I finish reading the articles I book marked on Gmless game design, and find a good 24 hr period to carve out of my schedule, I'll get this thing rolling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mean to start today, but I woke up with an idea and it's only fair that waking up marks the beginning of my 24hrs. That was about an hour ago from now.

WIP up! https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20363965#20363965

I'm designing a GMless RPG (or a story telling game, if you prefer) about surviving a harsh, ice covered world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
In under 24 hours I'm technically done. Through the Ice has components and rules (although they are just in a post right now). I'm going to put some time into making a proper rulebook and coercing friends to try it out tonight (because I'm currently travelling and can't play test it myself!)

I'll happily toss GeekGold towards anyone who gives it a whirl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I overslept so no nice rulebook for me! Nothing's changed since my previous post, but for completeness I post the details now:

Through the Ice
You have always known the world as endless frozen wastes. Survival has been a struggle, but you've been lucky enough to meet others to struggle with. You do sometimes wonder how you got this lot in life. Were your Ancestors star pilots who crash landed on a frozen world? Maybe the world wasn't always frozen, maybe it wouldn't always be... The sun was beginning to rise. You shake off the philosophical thoughts, there's no time for those in the tundra. Soon you would all be moving, because moving was something you did. Moving and surviving, that was all the meaning there was .

Through the Ice is a 2-4 player story telling game that pits players sort-of against each other. Players narrate story and stack dice in a tower. When the tower falls, the player building it perishes. The rest, if they've gained enough experience that is, will survive another day.

Rules: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20364911#20364911
Components: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnzi8jc99rihkro/Through%20the%20Ic...

(you also need 20 or so six sided dice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

If you are up for it, 2015 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG contest! just started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Nice!

Lol, I just designed an RPG in 24 hrs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Nice!

Lol, I just designed an RPG in 24 hrs

I know... but this happens but once a year - and you can roll for a random theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.